Hardcore grinding and beds!

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Foxy Boxes

Re: Hardcore grinding and beds!

Post by Foxy Boxes »

For a 'change the spawn' block, couldn't you just recycle the bed code, or is the night-day transition too tightly intwined?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW, following my small rant in the news thread, I'd love to see hardcore recipes for the various redstone bits in the game, like pressure plates, buttons, and levers. It's always bugged me that redstone was not actually part of those recipes, as it's a disconnect from the underlying functionality.

I'm not quite comfortable altering vanilla recipes in BTW, which is why I wasn't keen on the milling as a suggestion for the mod, but since you are going that route...yeah, redstone is one of the things I'd look at next ;)
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Hardcore redstone gets a 'yes' from me.
Also, thanks for taking the initiative to make this mod :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:BTW, following my small rant in the news thread, I'd love to see hardcore recipes for the various redstone bits in the game, like pressure plates, buttons, and levers. It's always bugged me that redstone was not actually part of those recipes, as it's a disconnect from the underlying functionality.

I'm not quite comfortable altering vanilla recipes in BTW, which is why I wasn't keen on the milling as a suggestion for the mod, but since you are going that route...yeah, redstone is one of the things I'd look at next ;)
Oh my.... Did i just get a request from the man himself?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Oh my.... Did i just get a request from the man himself?
I've been receiving people's suggestions for so long it feels good to make one myself ;)

Keep in mind, I *do* like the ideas you've decided to put in this mod. Quite a bit actually. There's just certain lines I'm not willing to cross in modifying vMC...yet :)

Anyways, as I said before, props for taking the initiative and running with this man. It's very cool to be seeing this kind of thing going into an add-on.
simanick

Post by simanick »

installing this now, only think i will miss about the change to button levers and pressure plates if you chose to do it will be that they might be to big for a 2x2 crafting table as i make them on the fly. this idea makes me happy :)
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Sarudak, this is not only genius but ranks as a worthy replacement in my mod folder for Kaos' mod. I keep a very small mod folder, and is going to fill the fifth slot. Blessed be brother.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Added a bit per flower's request. Levers, buttons and pressure plates now require redstone in their creation. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about the high efficiency recipes from better than wolves so it's a partial win only and almost not worth it.

I have plans for changing the book recipe to require tanned leather (nobody would make books out of raw leather... :P) and glue (for binding). This would make producing a library for your enchanters seriously hardcore... :P

Also @flowerchild if/when you change the millstone to be modding friendly could you make it so that we can override existing recipes such that I could make sugarcane grind to something other than sugar? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Also @flowerchild if/when you change the millstone to be modding friendly could you make it so that we can override existing recipes such that I could make sugarcane grind to something other than sugar? :)
That gets a little more complicated. What me and Toad did with BTB was that he put in a hook to completely disable *all* his recipes, and then I reproduced the ones that remained the same on my end.

I'll think about it some, but it may be a tad more involved than is worth it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah I wasn't thinking anything that involved. Because of the nature of the millstone I was thinking that a simple dictionary (key = input, value = output) such that registering a new output for a given input would override the existing registered output.

I can definitely see removing other recipes to be a pain. Heck it would probably be easier for me to just add in the ability to remove recipes myself since I'm already mucking around in the class that stores them. As far as I can see it's just being stored in an array list.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, you're right, that would be easy in the case of the Mill Stone. I was considering adapting it to the bulk-crafting code I have for the Cauldron and Crucible, but really there's no point to do so for it.

On the other hand, that would provide for multiple outputs, which seems to be what you're going for.

Anyways, like I said, I'll think about it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

K cool.

Also since you said you like the ideas and are making suggestions does that mean you're actually using the mod? :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:K cool.

Also since you said you like the ideas and are making suggestions does that mean you're actually using the mod? :D
No, I only play straight BTW as it's the only way for me to properly balance it. These are however the same kind of changes I'd like to make if I totally took the leash off myself with regards to base-class mods and changing vanilla behavior.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh ok. That's what I thought. But you had me going for a minute there. ;)
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

This is fantastic, good work mate. :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Definitely adding this! All of them. Fantastic!
Hopefully I'm not giving an unwanted suggestion here, but per the off topic discussion of vmc food, I'd love to see eating to only fill saturation, not instant healing. This would force players to rely on the slower health Regen when at full saturation rather than instant healing. Of course the potions are still options. I'd also love to see a debuff added to make the player slower for a short period of time after eating.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Also adding these to my jar file. Awesome!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
warmist

Post by warmist »

Another hardcore suggestion: remove saplings from tree drops and replace them with "branch", branches don't magically grow into trees (you can't plant them normaly), first you need to plant them into planters and after some time they turn into saplings.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Sarudak wrote: I have plans for changing the book recipe to require tanned leather (nobody would make books out of raw leather... :P) and glue (for binding). This would make producing a library for your enchanters seriously hardcore... :P
Just so you know, FC already added a HE recipe for books with one tanned leather and 6 paper, though it doesn't include glue.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

SterlingRed wrote:Definitely adding this! All of them. Fantastic!
Hopefully I'm not giving an unwanted suggestion here, but per the off topic discussion of vmc food, I'd love to see eating to only fill saturation, not instant healing. This would force players to rely on the slower health Regen when at full saturation rather than instant healing. Of course the potions are still options. I'd also love to see a debuff added to make the player slower for a short period of time after eating.
I'm not aware of any vmc food that still causes direct healing except for golden apples...
darahalian wrote: Just so you know, FC already added a HE recipe for books with one tanned leather and 6 paper, though it doesn't include glue.
Well that's a bummer. And kinda blows my idea out of the water unless I figure out a way to remove recipes...
warmist wrote:Another hardcore suggestion: remove saplings from tree drops and replace them with "branch", branches don't magically grow into trees (you can't plant them normaly), first you need to plant them into planters and after some time they turn into saplings.
I don't see what this adds other than making tree farming require pottery.
destineternel wrote:Also adding these to my jar file. Awesome!
Extreme Boyheat wrote:This is fantastic, good work mate. :)
Glad to see people liking it.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Sarudak wrote: I'm not aware of any vmc food that still causes direct healing except for golden apples...
Damn it. Rather shameful derp on my part, my bad. See food is so trivial I don't even pay attention to what it's doing.
*facepalm*
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think I've caught some kind of bug... I keep on thinking of things I would like to add to this... Whatever it is I hope it goes away soon... :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I think I've caught some kind of bug... I keep on thinking of things I would like to add to this... Whatever it is I hope it goes away soon... :P
Speaking from experience: you're truly and completely fucked now :)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Hardcore transportation? Basically, some items degrade/get destroyed when in a water stream. I can't imagine flour that's dissolved in a water stream being very useful, for example. Maybe this should just apply to powdery items, because they could easily be transported using a bellows system, and it seems like the most obvious type of item to be useless when wet. It would also all but require a bellows to sort mob drops if you want gunpowder.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Rianaru wrote:Hardcore transportation? Basically, some items degrade/get destroyed when in a water stream. I can't imagine flour that's dissolved in a water stream being very useful, for example. Maybe this should just apply to powdery items, because they could easily be transported using a bellows system, and it seems like the most obvious type of item to be useless when wet. It would also all but require a bellows to sort mob drops if you want gunpowder.
While that certainly is hardcore I don't see how it would add to the fun. You already have to deal with the not using water challenge when you go to the nether. The overworld needs some advantages. Not to mention this would break many existing systems...