BTW Build Log: Processing facility

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Adjudicator79

BTW Build Log: Processing facility

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Shortly before 2.9 dropped, I decided to roll up a world to play completely legit. Not just no cheat mods, but also permanently hostile as well. The difficulty setting has never come off of normal and the only non-BTW mods are Somnia and that one that lets you shift-click to craft an entire stack.

I knew ahead of time what seed I wanted to use, one that I had been using for another build that I like the geography of. I started with the normal resource grind and managed to get a handcrank mechanical base going as well. Once I got the saw up and going, I was able to really take off and have since built Urian's automated hemp/reed farm and a dung factory as well. A waterwheel and several lava bucket trips got me to the Nether and I was able to get to steel, which made the next project much easier.

I excavated a 27x27 pit from y=72 to bedrock in preparation for my Processing Facility. I had loved the idea since I saw Flower's video and figured I'd do one right, from scratch, as a foundational part of the world. It took longer than expected. Using iron at first ate up a lot of resources. Once I obtained steel, that helped immensely, but I found that I couldn't simply dig down and ignore the cavern systems branching off. First, I needed the resources. And second, and more important, leaving dark, unexplored tunnels branching off of the main dig site created a monster magnet that several times resulted in me being swarmed by zombies, archers, and creepers halfway through a brightly lit day. They'd pour out of the tunnels onto the top of my current excavation and slaughter me. Needless to say, I went on several exploration trips to light those suckers up!

However, I have finally finished the excavation, including nearly two days worth of gravelling lava to avoid having to mine out obsidian layer by layer. I seemed to have picked a spot where all of the lava is connected eventually and extends far beyond my excavation site, so I have a few dams up that will eventually need to be graveled as well, since I have a four block slime spawn site a mere two chunks away from my processing site.

The picture of the completed excavation is in the spoiler. I went on a wood gathering spree and am getting ready to collect enough dirt to start constructing individual floors.

On that note, does anyone know the moulding recipe for fence? I tried every combination of moulding/sticks I could think of and can't find one that works. I haven't been able to find the alternate recipe that Flower said he added in 2.8. I'm sure it's something simple and I'm missing an obvious element, but any suggestions would be welcome.

I'll keep this updated as the build takes shape. It will be a slow build, as I usually only get an hour, two tops, each night on MC.

Suggestions for modifications on Flower's design are welcome as well!
Spoiler
Show
HavokSCOUT

Re: BTW Build Log: Processing facility

Post by HavokSCOUT »

The fence recipe is simply three mouldings horizontally in a row, and Nice job! What kind of grinder do you plan on using?
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Argh! I just finished two grinders neutral and hostile, using the same fence drop fall trick (fences stick up 1.5 blocks so could as a solid surface when you fall on them, but water will flow on them at a 1 block height, so drops are carried away without reducing fall damage to mobs), but I didn't know about the alternate recipe! At least each of mine are only about 1/4 the size of yours, and still produce plenty of drops!

Oh well, I've since finished my automated tree farm and sawmill, and the single birch tree in it is producing more gears, corners, moulding and panels than I can use, since I have nothing above the sapling, it has maximum growth potential, and grows really often (1-2 times per minecraft day I think, dunno, haven't left the underground for several minecraft weeks now).

I grew the grass down as I went, using a full width spiral of dirt, the grass was growing quicker than I could dig sometimes. Instead of having a single dropshaft with water channels pushing mobs into it like FC's, I used something similar to the checkerboard design, but scaled up a bit, so 3x3 grass islands with 2 wide holes around them, I was then going to put signs along the sides so the mobs thought they were a solid block and attempted to walk over them, but neutral mobs don't seem to need them (I put them in for the hostile mobs though, but gave up using just signs and used signs for half and trapdoor for the other half (since they stack).

Currently working on a drop processing facility similar to FC's.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Just curious but could anyone provide a link to the video mentioned in the OP?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Fairly sure Adjudicator means this one Factory Farming.
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

I'm not sure what kind of grinder I want to use. I'm still debating on making the below bedrock portion of the excavation into a hostile generator and limiting the neutral generation to the above ground portions.

I've used the fence fall-to-your-death trap frequently, and i could get quite a few levels of hostile mob spawn floors in before I had to cut it off for processing space below. But I might go for the standard lava blade to simplify item distribution, or even try out a saw grinder, which I haven't done before.

On that note, does anyone have a good video out for a saw mob grinder? I'd love to observe one in action.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

gftweek wrote:Fairly sure Adjudicator means this one Factory Farming.
Mhm mass slaughter without human intervention.