Request for feedback: log placement

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Request for feedback: log placement

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I realized after I made my changes to log placement last night, that my reasons for thinking it sucked, may not be the reasons others thought it sucked.

So I want to get some feedback on why people dislike the vanilla system:

-Do you, like me, dislike it because it's difficult to consistently place logs *on their side*.

-*or* do you dislike it because it's difficult to place them upright?
walker_boh_65

Re: Request for feedback: log placement

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I feel it is too difficult to place them upright. For me it is similar to the pain in the ass of placing a piston facing upward.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I honestly find it just bothersome in general... it leads to me digging holes to place them upright and standing against a wall to place them horizontal. Out of the two, placing them upright is far more annoying though.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

I have to agree with FC here, I find it hard to place them on their side, as I found when building a log cabin with a log roof. To place them upright I normally just pillar up, so that's alright.
IGN: Matthew_OJ
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...ok, looks like I was right and people find them annoying for completely different reasons. I'm obviously going to have to do things differently, as I changed them to favor sideways placement, similar to how Gear Boxes work :)
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

I just dislike that you can't change them without destroying them. The gearboxes and axels spoil me in that aspect. However, they do suck trying to place sideways sometimes...
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I'm on the "difficult placing vertically" camp here.

the main problem is that you need to be a few blocks above the block you want to place the wood on, whereas for the side placement, you can be on the same level.

(I agree with dochussey though, the main irritation is from having to break the block, either wasting axe durability or time)
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

i hate it due to the vertical placement difficulties. haven't made anything using them sideways yet.

that and that they cant be rotated. continuously breaking and placing them.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

aJaroOllie wrote:I have to agree with FC here, I find it hard to place them on their side, as I found when building a log cabin with a log roof. To place them upright I normally just pillar up, so that's alright.
Same here, so favoring sideways placement is fine with me. Log cabin <3
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

After playing around a bit with them, I think I have to say both. Trying to place logs on their side above you is hard, and trying to place logs upright on the ground is hard. If it was based on where you clicked, like with slabs, and not based so much on your view angle, I think it would be better.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I have more trouble with the vertical placement ^^
They always end up sideways.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I must say they are both equally irritating. The logs seem to end up in the opposite direction of what I want.. :P It feels a bit random to me.
Lots of planets have a north...!
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

I have trouble with both ways. It seems like sometimes the orientation is based on what face I'm clicking on and sometimes it's based on where I'm placing it from, at random. And even when I do get it right on my first try, it takes waaay too much work to get myself in position. The entire placement code feels random and not intuitive at all.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Maybe it would be better to just add a rotate function to the damn logs.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Scarrboros

Post by Scarrboros »

The rotate function is good, but sometimes you have to put down a lot of wood.

An ideal idea (in my eyes) would be to change it so the bottom of the log was facing against the block you clicked on.

It's really frustrating sometimes when you have to build pillars of some kind inside something. Outside it is not problematic, because I can just stand on top.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Scarrboros wrote:The rotate function is good, but sometimes you have to put down a lot of wood.
Except Especially in bed.