Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
walker_boh_65

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I decided to pop into the new snapshot to test a few things which I have been wondering about and I have not seen confirmed/denied. Here is why I found:

The pyramid can be made using more than one type of metal block (gold, iron, diamond, or emerald):
Spoiler
Show
Each in their own layer:
Random:
I did a test to see if you could do this:
Spoiler
Show
After I saw that each of them were accessible, I thought how I could change it to be full sized:
Spoiler
Show
Without the WIP block (emerald is the base pyramid, gold is adding one more, iron is adding the second, diamond is to add the third):
Proof that the blocks turn on:
I thought about seeing if you could then get all 5 perks and made this (the larger bit of diamonds is what is needed to add the final WIP block):
Spoiler
Show
The blocks turn on as before:
When I did try to use two of the WIP blocks, the game crashed and the world corrupted, but I do not believe this is from this exploit because it happened when I made two pyramids too close to each other as well.

Now for the math behind it:

1st perk costs 164 metal blocks or 1476 of the item.
2nd perk costs an additional 24 metal blocks or 216 of the item.
3rd perk costs an additional 24 metal blocks or 216 of the item.
4th perk costs an additional 4 metal blocks or 36 of the item.
5th perk costs an additional 24 metal blocks or 216 of the item.
+ the regen perk.

In total that is 240 metal blocks or 2160 of the item. It is only 76 more blocks for 4 more perks.

This can and will be exploited in the near future assuming no fix comes out.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I thought I read on the wiki that the range was limited to ~40 blocks making it more or less pointless IMO no matter what perks you get from it.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Sarudak wrote:I thought I read on the wiki that the range was limited to ~40 blocks making it more or less pointless IMO no matter what perks you get from it.
Build it in the center of your base (thinking vMC here where bases do not need to be as spread out) and you become indefinitely OP.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah yeah yeah... So you can fight off anyone INSIDE your base while your online. But what really matters is when you're offline you have a giant beacon with a pile of treasure under it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Yeah yeah yeah... So you can fight off anyone INSIDE your base while your online. But what really matters is when you're offline you have a giant beacon with a pile of treasure under it.
I would expect you to be able to cap the beacon with a block before logging off.

I'd see this *maybe* being used in anarchy SMP by digging a single-block shaft down to your lair, then making sure to cap it when you're away.

Still though...uber dangerous in a PvP environment regardless.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Sarudak wrote:Yeah yeah yeah... So you can fight off anyone INSIDE your base while your online. But what really matters is when you're offline you have a giant beacon with a pile of treasure under it.
You know with a good Iron golem farm/Villager trading center, and quite a lot of TNT, I can't help but think it would make absolutely spectacular bait.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Does it make any difference at all which type of block you use? Because if you can just use iron blocks, this is way too easy to make...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Guys really? With even the largest pyramid only having an effect for 40 blocks this thing hardly even matters. How many of you ever have any kind of frantic defense at home? Especially after the point that you can produce 9 blocks of iron? What does this change exactly?
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Sarudak wrote:Guys really? With even the largest pyramid only having an effect for 40 blocks this thing hardly even matters. How many of you ever have any kind of frantic defense at home? Especially after the point that you can produce 9 blocks of iron? What does this change exactly?
Okay, Maybe I'm being stupid or something: If range is a problem, What's to stop the player from building more than one?

Or are you talking about defense (from players) specifically? In which case yeah definitely more trouble than it's worth for anything other than a prank/idiot trap.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah so you could cover the land with these huge pyramids and be superman within a largish area. But unless we're talking about defense from players you're better off just carpeting the land in torches. Cheaper and more effective. If we are talking about defense from players you're giving your location away and advertising your wealth.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Can we move the conversation about the WIP block to offtopic please?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Dinnerbone linked this vid in his twitter; while not news in the most strict of sense, it does demonstrate quite well the results of a bunch of the minor changes made recently - and looks pretty cool doing it.

PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Nice. Monster spawners will become more of an entity spawner, and you're given control over what, where, and when they spawn, as well as what they become when they land. Worth seeing the video for the first half.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

That. Is. Amazing! Adventure maps will become so much cooler with this addition.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Stormweaver wrote:lava stuff
That is cool up until the point he stated the globs of lava update and become infinite lava source. Imagine something liek this spawning in teh world erupting near a jungle and jungle trees generating massive streams of infinite lava from their canopies , burning the tree down and then having lava fields levitating in teh sky. A little counter-intuitive unless they can domesticate the lava ejections and just make them behave like finite globs(maybe even cool and become cobble) and keep the infinite lava blocks stationary allowing lava to flow from the core of the mountain, then i'm sold.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: That is cool up until the point he stated the globs of lava update and become infinite lava source. Imagine something liek this spawning in teh world erupting near a jungle and jungle trees generating massive streams of infinite lava from their canopies , burning the tree down and then having lava fields levitating in teh sky. A little counter-intuitive unless they can domesticate the lava ejections and just make them behave like finite globs(maybe even cool and become cobble) and keep the infinite lava blocks stationary allowing lava to flow from the core of the mountain, then i'm sold.
*twitch*
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:lava stuff
That is cool up until the point he stated the globs of lava update and become infinite lava source. Imagine something like this spawning in the world erupting near a jungle and jungle trees generating massive streams of infinite lava from their canopies , burning the tree down and then having lava fields levitating in the sky. A little counter-intuitive unless they can domesticate the lava ejections and just make them behave like finite globs(maybe even cool and become cobble) and keep the infinite lava blocks stationary allowing lava to flow from the core of the mountain, then i'm sold.
As was described in the video, those are just retextured sand entities. They become lava when they hit the ground. You have control over what they become when they land, so that is entirely feasible. Also, I hope that was on mobile, as Bino implied above.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Panda

Post by Panda »

This is exciting! Now i can finally make my Wolf-cano! Imagine all the exploding companion cubes!

But in all seriousness im glad they might* be taking a break from adding useless features and instead showing alittle love to the communities ability to make incredible minecraft creations!
Never say no to Panda.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

dawnraider wrote:
As was described in the video, those are just retextured sand entities. They become lava when they hit the ground. You have control over what they become when they land, so that is entirely feasible. Also, I hope that was on mobile, as Bino implied above.
Yes it also demonstrates the possibility of the ability of the engine to generate volcanoes potentially. Sl doesn't really have an entity or block i know of that approximates lava but doesn't move like fire so if this is newsworthy because it might be something that could be included in future terrain generation then what worries me is dynamically spreading finite fluid blocks. If it's newsworthy simply for level creates then - no comment.

I just hope we don't have floating infinite lava for any reason.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Well, now we know for certain Vech's has seen it. We should afraid, very very afraid.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Well, now we know for certain Vech's has seen it. We should afraid, very very afraid.
I had thought a discussion of Vech's with Dinnerbone was the reason it existed in the first place.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Verging into off topic, guys. *shoos gently*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Seems very related to the topic to me....
Urian

Post by Urian »

The topic here is for reporting on news and such, discussion on the news and discussing things like that video (which is cool :p ) belong in other topics so this thread remains as uncluttered as possible.

Also, seems like the Nether bug should be fixed now:
Dinnerbone wrote:Found it! Nether bug: exterminated. Damn that was hard, edge cases in corner conditions in delicious sneakiness.
-Source-
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Urian wrote:The topic here is for reporting on news and such, discussion on the news and discussing things like that video (which is cool :p ) belong in other topics so this thread remains as uncluttered as possible.

Also, seems like the Nether bug should be fixed now:
Dinnerbone wrote:Found it! Nether bug: exterminated. Damn that was hard, edge cases in corner conditions in delicious sneakiness.
-Source-
That was the main/only reason for the 1.3.2 update, right? So we should expect it coming soon unless there's more to be done.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.