The ongoing 1.3 update epic

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MoRmEnGiL

Re: The ongoing 1.3 update epic

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, I'm kinda away from the internetz at the moment, but that won't stop me from saying that you, sir, are rather awesome and made of stern stuff. To be honest I'm a little envious, because you really do seem to enjoy what you do..

Next time I get a hold of some cash there's gonna be beer for you.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

You are doing an amazing job FC! Keep up the good work! I assume the 1.3 version will be 3.92?
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I just realized you have your axles about open fires. I thought they were flammable, so why don't they burn up?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

CycloneSP wrote:I just realized you have your axles about open fires. I thought they were flammable, so why don't they burn up?
So that the ability to tip cauldrons and crucibles is actually useful?
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

TheFlame52 wrote:You are doing an amazing job FC! Keep up the good work! I assume the 1.3 version will be 3.92?
Well, we do know that the next version will be for 1.3. Why does the next version number matter?
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Ah, well, yes that would help. I've been watching battosay's let's play recently and I remember him having an issue with them burning up. And I didn't remember seeing it in one of FC's update posts about them not being flammable, so I continued to think they were flammable.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Urian

Post by Urian »

Gearboxes and hoppers are flammable, axles aren't.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CycloneSP wrote:I just realized you have your axles about open fires. I thought they were flammable, so why don't they burn up?
Thanks for taking the thread on a rather large tangent while I was asleep, due to you yet again asking the obvious.

We talked about this on MCF man. Please rein it in if you'd like to remain part of the community.

Think...then ask. Think...ask.
fullsailor

Post by fullsailor »

Thanks for all of this FC. Your commitment to this mod and its community is inspiring. I can’t wait to see what you will give us next.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

I am not at this point yet, however reading over what you had to do with the hopper has worried me.
I know that I am going to find myself in an identical situation and I won't have the knowledge nor experience to manage that hurdle.
I hope for the meantime that 4 bits is sufficient.
Your package handler, is that specific for the hopper or is it more general purpose?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote:I am not at this point yet, however reading over what you had to do with the hopper has worried me.
I know that I am going to find myself in an identical situation and I won't have the knowledge nor experience to manage that hurdle.
I hope for the meantime that 4 bits is sufficient.
Your package handler, is that specific for the hopper or is it more general purpose?
It's specifc right now, but I'll be making a general purpose handler for it before releasing, as there are a few other tid-bits I need to go back and do the same thing for (like the fluid levels in the Stewing Pot and Crucible).

Don't sweat it too much man. It's not too hard to do, but it *does* require base-class edits. As an add-on though, you can just use the interface I'll put in place for it.

Also, I've already rearranged a few of my own blocks with regards to what's in metadata and what's in the Tile Ent to get around this kind of thing. Keep in mind that the client only requires very specific info, usually related to display or sound, so you can often send very little to it indeed.

To give you an example, in a bit of irony, the Hopper doesn't actually send its metadata to the client at all, since there's nothing in it that concerns it. The metadata for that block contains the mechanical power state (only relevant if the GUI is open, so I only send it then as part of the GUI data), the redstone on/off state (again, not relevant, as it's the server that specifies whether a neighboring block is powered or not, and changes it accordingly), and a couple of other flags that indicate its ability to collect objects (again...server side).

So yeah, you may not even need any of this kind of trickery. Often, rearranging how you're handling data so that the metadata contains the info relevant to the client is enough.

I'll post details on the interface when it's done though. Even if you have to go that route, it really isn't too heavy once you've figured out how it works, and I'll be happy to share that info along with the interface.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote:As an add-on though, you can just use the interface I'll put in place for it.
Spoiler
Show
Awesome. I'll keep plugging away at my 1.2.5 version and cross that bridge once I get to fondle the insides of your release.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Ethinolicbob wrote: Awesome. I'll keep plugging away at my 1.2.5 version and cross that bridge once I get to fondle the insides of your release.
ಠ_ಠ Dat wording...
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, another day, another screen-shot :)

I actually went on a bit of a tangent today. I was working on my base a bit, and had an idea for a new feature which I liked so much that I decided to implement it straight away. Guess I needed a break from all this updating to do something creative ;)

I'm interested in whether you guys will be able to spot it...
Spoiler
Show
And as always, bunch of additional stuff working as well ;)
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Waterwheel(s). Turntable(s). Anvils. Kiln(s). Planters. Bellows. Hibachis(presumably).

No idea on the new feature... yet.

Edit: Fail, apparently turntables, hibachis and bellows were already updated and 'released', I just had a brain fart.

EDIT2: Wait, aren't bellows supposed to be powered from behind? That looks like it's being powered from underneath... Have I missed something, or is that new?
Last edited by jakerman999 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote: I'm interested in whether you guys will be able to spot it...
Those black things on the corners of your Kiln... what are those? At first I thought they might be anvils but the shape is wrong.

edit: ah, they must be Vases. Nevermind.
Last edited by Thorium-232 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Had to enlarge the picture with gimp to properly see it and confirm my suspicion.

It's grass or dirt half-slabs/blocks.

Thought it was just a perspective thing or optical illusion at first.

And of course thank you for all your effort and sharing the update process to the new game version with us.
Last edited by Mac on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube channel.

Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

FlowerChild wrote: I'm interested in whether you guys will be able to spot it...
Spoiler
Show

Hmm...No matter how much I tried I couldn't find it. The only changes since the last time you took a screenshot are the lower half (Kiln, Turntable, Mine w/ place for a pulley system), you moved your wolves, and you started using pottery for decorating - vases, planters.

Could it be related to the now-surrounded-with-cobble lava pool, or to the strange shape of the Kiln?

EDIT: oh my, it's the grass half slabs.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
skarekrow_1

Post by skarekrow_1 »

Holy Grassy Half Slabs FC....
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Do they also come in dirt and mycelium?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

It looks great, but it probably won't be used by the people who use Connected Grass (Optifine, MCPatcher). I do foresee someone making an add-on for that purpose, though.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Not only are you making awesome progress, but implementing new features as well? Awesome! :)

I've wanted grass slabs for ages, would make the more garden-like parts of my base so much more accessible. Thanks for that :)

And good luck on the remainder of the update journey. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I was wondering how long it would take. It seems to just blend in with everything else (as it should), so I was wondering if people would just fail to register it :)

They're actually dirt slabs, that are fully functional in terms of grass growing over them. Upwards, downwards, biome-specific coloring...they're the deluxe model ;)

I don't have a version for Mycelium, but that would actually be really easy to add to the block's metadata, so I'll put it on my todo list for after this release.
Itamarcu wrote:It looks great, but it probably won't be used by the people who use Connected Grass (Optifine, MCPatcher). I do foresee someone making an add-on for that purpose, though.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Just assuming the grass half blocks are purely for looks. Having to code them to be able to grow anything would be a bit of a pain.
simanick

Post by simanick »

I... I dont know what to say. iv always wanted that...

FC you are right its the small things that add up to the most paints mess.