The ongoing 1.3 update epic

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Aeslynn Winterfell

Re: The ongoing 1.3 update epic

Post by Aeslynn Winterfell »

While I'm a bit of a lurker, I just wanted to pop by and say thank you FC for all your continuing hard work. I'm really glad you're making a thread like this as it really illuminates the struggle you go through. It makes me really appreciate both the challenges you face and all the hard work you've done. Keep up the good work! :D
FlowerChild wrote:
Glace1221 wrote:How does a screw play a role in role-playing on SMP servers when combined with tanned leather armor? I don't see any recipe where a screw can be combined with tanned leather armor.
<face palm>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Aeslynn Winterfell wrote:While I'm a bit of a lurker, I just wanted to pop by and say thank you FC for all your continuing hard work. I'm really glad you're making a thread like this as it really illuminates the struggle you go through. It makes me really appreciate both the challenges you face and all the hard work you've done. Keep up the good work! :D
Thanks man! Yeah, this thread has been doing me a world of good in maintaining my own motivation, and in making me feel appreciated for the work I'm putting into this.

I think it's made me aware that it's really not apparent to others just how much time and effort I put into the mod in general, and there's really no reason it should be.

I think I'm definitely going to try to do more of this in the future, as I think it's both good for the community, and good for me as well. In the early days of the mod, I used to discuss what I was working on a lot more, but I think I shut down a bit in that regard as the size of the mod's fan-base grew larger and I started to feel more and more public pressure. I think silence about a lot of things seemed like the easiest solution at the time, but I don't think it was the best one.

Anyways, I'm currently toying with the idea of setting up a dev-diary sub-forum or something like that. I'll think about it a bit more once this update process is completed, but yeah, I'm considering ways in which to make this a more regular thing. The tricky part is going to be balancing that with the ongoing theme of keeping some things secret, as I do think teasing and surprising people has definitely become a "thing" with the mod that I don't want to lose entirely.
Force21

Post by Force21 »

FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, I'm currently toying with the idea of setting up a dev-diary sub-forum or something like that.
You know what this reminds me of? Notch in his early days of minecraft, back in 2009 when infdev and alpha were going on. He used his "Word of Notch" a lot and that's what people really liked. It's also what got me motivated to buying minecraft, cause everyone got an update almost every day on how this awesome game is coming along.

All in all, I think thats a great idea FC. Keep up the good work!
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

FlowerChild wrote:I do think teasing and surprising people has definitely become a "thing" with the mod that I don't want to lose entirely.
Trolls never die =P Even the ones inside you... =D

Dev diary does sound fun, I have enjoyed being able to see your way of doing things (even though its a world I know nothing about, but hey I'm rooting for you anyway =P). If its helping motivate you then thats great too, if you want to test it out without creating a subforum I hear there is space going in the suggestion subforum ;D
FlowerChild wrote:By responding to this thread you have reserved your place in the next poll.

Your selflessness shall not be forgotten.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Hotshot wrote:Dev diary does sound fun, I have enjoyed being able to see your way of doing things (even though its a world I know nothing about, but hey I'm rooting for you anyway =P). If its helping motivate you then thats great too, if you want to test it out without creating a subforum I hear there is space going in the suggestion subforum ;D
The suggestion subforum is a Bad Idea(tm) given how badly that forum churns out good suggestions*. But I'm for a dev journal.

[small]* Yes, I only had one for the handfull I've sent in.[/small]
mrrps

Post by mrrps »

Hello, new here, longtime listener and first time caller, and I just wanted to say that while I have no idea what's going on here (I wish I'd taken that coding class now...) I am awed and astounded by the amount of progress you've made, Mr. FC, and wish you the bestest of luck with the rest of it. Now I'm going to go hide before I do something wrong and am fed to the Nethergrowth.
Sometimes I look at myself and wonder 'what the hell is a vegetarian doing here?'
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

mrrps wrote:Now I'm going to go hide before I do something wrong and am fed to the Nethergrowth.
Too late. It's Nether GROTH. ;) Welcome to the community, man.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

@Cyclone Yes I read 8-bit theater. It was gloriously awesome.
Anyways, thank you for keeping up the dev diary thing, FC, it is awesome.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
mrrps

Post by mrrps »

Too late. It's Nether GROTH. ;) Welcome to the community, man.
Ah of course, but do please forgive the wee noob for she is small and not very tasty.

I am going to quash my urge to fangirl because eeeee thank you Miss Morvy I very much enjoy your videos eeeeee and instead say thank you. And now I am going to stop because this is not the place for this, my apologies.
Sometimes I look at myself and wonder 'what the hell is a vegetarian doing here?'
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

morvelaira wrote:*squees just a little bit so everyone else can stop holding it in*

Sorry, should have done that earlier. ;)
thanks morv! I didn't want to step on your toes ;)

*On-topic: it's hard to imagine that 1.3 screwed things so up that it makes the infdev to Alpha update look minor by comparison…

**EDIT-I'm an idiot…
Last edited by DocHussey on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Guys, please take the off-topic elsewhere. Tagging a single sentence related to the thread onto an off-topic post isn't fooling any, except maybe yourself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah, ok...scratch what I said earlier about this: the ideas are beginning to flow due to this playthrough I'm doing.

I've actually had a number that I've noted down for latter development, but I just came up with one that I don't mind sharing.

I'm going to give chickens a little love :)

The basis of the idea is to get rid of hardboiled eggs. Instead, when you (or a dispenser) throw an egg and it cracks open to potentially hatch a baby, if you don't get a baby, you'll instead get a raw egg that pops out. If you cook a raw egg in a Stewing Pot, you get a poached egg, which is the equivalent in terms of being a food item as the hardboiled egg currently is.

I'll be using raw eggs for additional things down the road (that part I won't spoil ;) ), but for now I think this change will make chickens more interesting for a variety of reasons.

First, it makes farming them a tad more complicated as you'll wind up with these raw egg items in your hatchery, which will likely need to be sorted from the other drops. Secondly, it makes using a single chicken sitting on a Stewing Pot as a perpetual source of hard boiled eggs a tad more complicated, as you either need to rig a despenser to crack the eggs for you over the pot, or you have to manually do it yourself. And lastly, it further complicates automation in forcing you to deal with the chickens running around when they do successfully hatch.

Anyways, that's the idea. I'll probably hold off to a latter release to do this, but if I have a moment where I just feel like doing something fun (this should be trivial for me to implement) it might even make its way into the update.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Ahh that egg thing is actually amazing, FC! I love it! I can't wait to see what the future uses for them are!

Hrm, I really like the idea of having a more permanent view into your modding progress, but at the same time, I feel that the mystery surrounding the mod's upcoming features is part of the joy of the mod and this community.For instance, I (personally) would not want any greater insight than what we have had already into The Device(tm), as the way you have presented it so far has given us hours of fun in trying to figure out where, how, when and *why* to build it. Perhaps if it were only for "little" things in the mod, as opposed to the large bits? But again, that's a fine line. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Keep up the good work, as always I'm really enjoying following this thread!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Chicken love, better than human love.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

The change or nerf to chickens with respect to tallow was a great call. Up until that i didn't feel compelled to make a cow or pig farm at all. I knew you'de get back to chickens eventually and the changes will enhance automation. Thanks for sharing future plans FC.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Eh, it's just a small thing, but sometimes small changes like that can add up to more fun for the player, and the cumulative effect of all of them will hopefully one day leave a mess in their pants.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I managed to get over my hangover and get a few solid hours in on the update this evening:
Spoiler
Show
It's a subtle visual change, but it's a very significant one on my end :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I managed to get over my hangover and get a few solid hours in on the update this evening:
Spoiler
Show
*whines* I don't see it!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Kreyesh

Post by Kreyesh »

FC, just wanted to finally speak up again and say how amazing the work you are doing is. I have been watching 4+ different independent game developing guys lately and i gotta say, they work at a fraction of the speed you do and its their job. They get paid to do it and are already selling it as an alpha, yet you are 5 times as fast to update and patch as they are. You my friend, need to start selling something. I would buy it immediately.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I managed to get over my hangover and get a few solid hours in on the update this evening:
Spoiler
Show

Would it happen to be the hopper running in the background :)?
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

FlowerChild wrote:*Chicken Changes*
I quite like the idea, adds a level of complexity and a reason for more complex chicken factory. Sounds like fun, I'm going to have to re-think the farm I've been planning.

I believe that might just be a hopper I see working on the left side of the windmill tower in the image. If so, very cool to see that feature up and running!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

bmanfoley wrote:Would it happen to be the hopper running in the background :)?
Indeed it would be! In fact, there are now three of them in my base, although there are only 2 visible in the screenshot. The other is sitting on top of my auto-mill in the stone brick structure attached to the left of my wind-mill :)

This was a very significant step for me actually, as I believe the Hopper was the hardest block to port over in this entire update (including the blocks I have left to do).

The tricky part of it is that the client isn't aware of the inventory of blocks unless the player has a gui open, as that would be a whole lot of data to be sending to the client when it really isn't needed.

However, the Hopper has a couple of important visual aspects to it that are dependent on that inventory, namely the filters and the gravely indication of contents that are displayed on the block itself. I couldn't use block metadata for this though, as the Hopper's 4 bits are already loaded to the gills, and beyond that, there were way more than 16 potential states (the maximum contained in 4 bits) I had to account for anyways. In other words, I basically needed to send specific data contained within a Tile Entity from server to client, which is not something I have had to resort to elsewhere.

So, what it required was for me to write some custom message handlers between the client and server to send only the bare-bones amount of information needed to update that visual state.

Anyways, it wasn't that rough in the end once I figured out how to do that (a lot of the time involved in this update process is just figuring out how things work rather than writing code), and I do believe that's the last major mystery that I need to solve to get the rest of the blocks up and running.

So yeah, even smoother sailing ahead from this point forward :)
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Should be nice to see how the changes to eggs works out, I've yet to really find a reason to make a chicken farm since my cows produce all the leather/glue and beef/tallow I need. I've never had any problems with nerfs as long as they were made to bring things in balance or brought new functionality to the table and this one sounds like both.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I was going to call it a night after getting the Hopper done, but for some reason I decided to just keep going. It's really starting to roll fast now, so I guess that's further motivating me :)

This one shouldn't be too hard to spot:
Spoiler
Show
No point in me being secretive there :)

Hibachi, Bellows, Turntable, and Stoked Fire all updated and working properly.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Wow! Great job there FC. Im really impressed by how you manage to make things look so easy ;)
Keep up the good work!