Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
morvelaira

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by morvelaira »

Well, if there is any silver lining, at least the new update is to fix a bug that really, really needs to be fixed. And honestly, an extra four hours is not that long for us to wait. I know its four hours you probabaly would prefer not staring at the code anymore, but it will look like a breeze comparatively.

Now to actually get ouut of bed today, because updating this thread suck on my phone.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

How to "cure" a villager who is changed to a zombie:
Posted Today, 01:39 PM
Alright, so Splash potion of weakness + right click with a golden apple + wait a shitload of time = turns back into a normal testificate
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:And honestly, an extra four hours is not that long for us to wait.
Yeah, that's definitely NOT what's upsetting me in this :)
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

I like how the beacons look to be turning out. The way they appear to work from that video seems a lot more 'minecrafty' than than how potions and enchantments work. but they've also got me thinking... What if their power could be sent through the lens to create 'repeaters'. I'm rather excited about them, the build they might bring with them and the thought of what FC /might/ do with them.

BTW: it's got to suck to get 'over the hump' and then learn that it /might/ have been wasted effort. Good luck FC, thanks for keeping minecraft ins the spirit of its self.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

muggsbud wrote:What if their power could be sent through the lens to create 'repeaters'.
Might want to keep thinly veiled suggestions away from here, Morv will destroy you.
Like she does when I do this.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Damn, this block is incredible in so many ways.

The player will need a ton of materials to build those pyramids, and that pretty much says "go farm resources". Also, I suppose they are finally coming back to forcing the player to build multi-block structures.

And just think about that in an anarchy server. "Hey, we are cocky enough to tell you where our base is."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

muggsbud wrote: BTW: it's got to suck to get 'over the hump' and then learn that it /might/ have been wasted effort. Good luck FC, thanks for keeping minecraft ins the spirit of its self.
Oh no, it's not wasted by any means, and if I knew this was coming, I still would have done the same things I did before. Just pissed that it won't be over as soon as I had hoped.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: Oh no, it's not wasted by any means, and if I knew this was coming, I still would have done the same things I did before. Just pissed that it won't be over as soon as I had hoped.
Let's just hope they don't take 12 releases to get rid of all the nasty bugs from the merge. We don't want a 1.3.C...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Let's just hope they don't take 12 releases to get rid of all the nasty bugs from the merge. We don't want a 1.3.C...
What I'm really hoping is to be done with the 1.3.1 update before they release 1.3.2.

Anyone have any idea as to the time-frame on this thing?
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

at least a week or else they would have held the snapshot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

muggsbud wrote:at least a week or else they would have held the snapshot.
Maybe not though, as I suspect 1.3.2 is a branch of 1.3.1, and is not based on the snapshot code.

Also, Sarge's response to Jeb's tweet about spending the weekend updating MCP makes me nervous. This should be a relatively simple change to the code base on Mojang's end, so I could feasibly see them putting this out tomorrow.

If we can get to the weekend without it happening, I'll definitely breath a sigh of relief.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

FlowerChild wrote: Anyone have any idea as to the time-frame on this thing?
I can tell you that EvilSeph is working on it, but was unable to reproduce the portal bug until someone today uploaded a world and linked it to him.

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/233480472989167616 - Jeb says EvilSeph working on 1.3.2
https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/233401795358126081 - EvilSeph unable to reproduce portal bug
https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/233571592221888513 - EvilSeph linked to world
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

BinoAl wrote: Might want to keep thinly veiled suggestions away from here, Morv will destroy you.
Like she does when I do this.
*KITTEN ATTACK OF DOOM!*

On a more serious note, though, while I don't have a timeframe for 1.3.2, it is indeed working off of the 1.3 branch as opposed to the 1.4 branch, which indicates sooner, rather than later.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ohh goodness:

"We are currently working on two different tasks: first to patch 1.3.1 to fix the most serious bugs, and secondly on 1.4. The patch will be released as 1.3.2, and will not include any new features. This snapshot (12w32a), however, is a part of our 1.4 development, so it has some new features (confusing, eh?):

Villagers will now react positively on new trades, and negatively if you hurt them
Villagers will not remove trades, but trading something else may be required to renew the old ones
Zombies and Skeletons have new equipment, depending on difficulty
There’s a new kind of Zombie, too
Added the “Command Block” intended for adventure maps. It’s not craftable and not in the menu, but its id is 137
A suprise block! This block is still work in progress, but will get a crafting recipe later on
Get the snapshot here:

Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w32a/minecraft.jar
Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w32a/minecraft_server.jar (or EXE)
If you havent downloaded Minecraft you can grab it here: http://www.minecraft.net/download

// The Minecraft Team

Make sure to check back next Thursday as we will be having more creative contests!

~Lydia"
And heres some pictures i dug up
note the source is mojang.com
Spoiler
Show
Never say no to Panda.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

at least the beams of light look pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of black&white...
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Alright, so I've done a bit of experimenting with the WIP block, and it doesn't actually seem too overpowered. It being active infinitely is the only real issue with it. It requires 4 levels of valuable blocks to use regeneration. That is... *does math* ...124 blocks of ore for regeneration, and that's not including the eventual cost of the WIP block
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

BinoAl wrote:Alright, so I've done a bit of experimenting with the WIP block, and it doesn't actually seem too overpowered. It being active infinitely is the only real issue with it. It requires 4 levels of valuable blocks to use regeneration. That is... *does math* ...124 blocks of ore for regeneration, and that's not including the eventual cost of the WIP block
Some things that I found while screwing around in the snapshot, in relation to the WIP block:
Two fewer levels on the pyramid than max provides one of four potion effects(Speed, Haste, Resistance, Jump Boost). One less than max allows you to choose one of five effects(Same as before but with Strength added on). A full four levels allows you to choose Regeneration I or n II, where n is the level one effect you chose.
Additional levels seem to do nothing at the moment.
The effects have a base time of 8 seconds and are renewed every 4 while you are in the range of the WIP block. Which is a surprisingly short leash, to be honest.

So, it's expensive to build the structure not even counting the WIP block, the range of effect is pretty short, you have to sacrifice a diamond, iron/gold ingot, or emerald to change your effect, and to use it you essentially chain yourself to a giant glowing pillar which is probably visible for several chunks.

...I have no idea what Mojang wants this for, but I'm sensing King of the Hill matches coming to minecraft servers and LAN games.

If this post offends for any reason, Laira, I've no problem with it being edited or deleted. Or you stealing this info for the news.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Andellmere wrote:Jump Boost
Sigh.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Andellmere wrote:If this post offends for any reason, Laira, I've no problem with it being edited or deleted. Or you stealing this info for the news.
Just to correct any misconceptions, I am merely a turtle... limpy unichicken here. I have no power to edit/delete posts, or ban users. I can merely nag, and let the disappointment of my kitty avatar burrow deep, deep into your soul. Which is why I do it so often here when things go off topic.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I can't say I care for this "WIP" block, it's neat, I guess, but it feels unconnected from the rest of the Minecraft blocks, there isn't a rational connection to other blocks or mechanics at all. It bothers me.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Caboose wrote:I can't say I care for this "WIP" block, it's neat, I guess, but it feels unconnected from the rest of the Minecraft blocks, there isn't a rational connection to other blocks or mechanics at all. It bothers me.
don't forget it has no texture, name, recipe or "lore"
if it turned out to be made from the enderdragon egg and was supposed to be made with knowledge gained from the entities in the end poem, it would make a lot more sense (since you'd be aware of the world being a game/dream, you'd begin to understand and manipulate the world a bit better. or in the BTW lore, you killed the enderdragon, now use its unborn child as a power source)
(in addition, if it was made from an egg, it would become a truly precious item, there would only be one per world, and very much sought after in PvP)
as it stands currently, it's a mechanic and a block to hold it, imagine how silly a crafting bench would seem if we didn't know it was a crafting bench.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Well the Beacon pyramid thing is pretty cool imo :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Calcifire3691 wrote:snip
From Dragon Egg ?
Don't think so the Dragon is the Final Enemy for vMC why you need it afterwards, to kill those little innocent baby zombies ?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ohh the dragon egg.... always wanted to put it infront of a saw and have exp explode out of it..... thats just me though
Never say no to Panda.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Enough. This is the news thread, not the rampant speculation thread.