End portals and strongholds

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
CycloneSP

End portals and strongholds

Post by CycloneSP »

So, I finally managed to muster up enough eyes of ender to search for my end portal, right? Right. I thus set off in search of my first strong hold, and after googling how to triangulate a location via wolframalpha I find my strong hold. Yay! ...or so I thought. My stronghold does not contain an end portal. T_T Did I do anything wrong? Or is it that not all strongholds have end portals?

Also, how far away do I have to be from the first stronghold for my eyes of ender to seek out a new one?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
morvelaira

Re: End portals and strongholds

Post by morvelaira »

Is your world old enough to have been before strongholds existed? Older worlds will not have end portals in them, even if stronghold location is generated - or at least that is my understanding.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Normally, all three strongholds should have a end portal.
Unfortunately, ravines and/or mineshafts can run through it (in my opinion, it should be the other way around)
Also, it could be because you play a old world.
I knew a way to find the direction of all three strongholds, but I'm too tired. ( it had something to do with your spawn-point)
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

oddly enough, no and no. If you have been reading my various other posts, you should be aware that my previous world got corrupted and thus I had to generate a brand new world in version 1.2.5.

as for ravines. Nope. I found it completely underground with no caves anywhere nearby. I collected several stacks of cobble just looking for the 'official' entrance rather than breaking through a wall.

Niyu

Post by Niyu »

The ender eyes should point directly to the portal, shouldn't them? Try launch one and see where is floating to.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I think that you haven't explored your stronghold in its entirety. The try the above method to make sure.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I guess this goes to show I have not been reading all of your posts made in other topics. :P
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

You mean I am not important on these forums as I thought i am and almost no one even knows my name! -sobs uncontrollably-
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Niyu wrote:The ender eyes should point directly to the portal, shouldn't them? Try launch one and see where is floating to.
I find they always point to the middle block of the side of the portal frame nearest the silverfish spawner.
if you're throwing the eye and its not doing a wierd u turn thing, you still aren't at the portal
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Thanks for the help guys. I finally found it.

Here's the deal, the end portal room was completely separated from the main stronghold. No passage no nothin. just solid stone and dirt. What should have been a stairway was replaced by normal terrain at y = 12.

I found it by using MCedit to have a look-see at the adjacent area; since I probably would have never found it by mining around the place.