Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Marasambala

Re: Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve

Post by Marasambala »

FlowerChild wrote:YAY! BTW just fucked me good!!! :) :) :)

Well, indirectly anyways...

I decided to spend a bit of time working on an Enderman farm just now to take advantage of some of the new content.
How, praytell, does FC get to the end from his old-school, pre stronghold world?
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Norren

Post by Norren »

Marasambala wrote:
How, praytell, does FC get to the end from his old-school, pre stronghold world?
As I recall, he posted in another thread that he hadn't explored half of the area one of his three strongholds spawned in, and so he has half a stronghold. Presumably the business half.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Norren wrote:
Marasambala wrote:
As I recall, he posted in another thread that he hadn't explored half of the area one of his three strongholds spawned in, and so he has half a stronghold. Presumably the business half.
I remember that, now. I was hoping it was a tell.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Same happened to me, 'cept I had my knockback 2 AX on hand.

An interesting tale, but I survived the trip, and it thus didn't make it in here.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I have a heart breaking tale of woe. Well, that is if having your comp crash in the middle of your play session of minecraft with BTW and thus corrupting you world counts as a legit tale of woe...

But yeah, I lost everything. All of my SFS, my lovely machines, everything.... T_T
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

CycloneSP wrote:I have a heart breaking tale of woe. Well, that is if having your comp crash in the middle of your play session of minecraft with BTW and thus corrupting you world counts as a legit tale of woe...

But yeah, I lost everything. All of my SFS, my lovely machines, everything.... T_T
All may not be lost!
If you have a backup of the same world, at any point in time, open the backup, copy the level.dat file, and replace the one in your corrupted save. Only replace the level.dat file, nothing else! this will set your player inventory to whatever it was in the backup and will move you to wherever your player was. But the world itself will be fine, as it was right before the crash. All that happened was the game didn't get a chance to save the level info properly and thus it doesn't recognize the world. But the actual chunks are not corrupt.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Eh.... kinda, maybe, sorta, not really? When my comp rebooted I logged back in, and chunks had been missplaced, rain was falling in the desert, a quarter of my latest building was missing, my bamboo farm and part of my cobble blaster were gone. Then when I log in today, it doesn't even load up. So out of despair I deleted it all. T_T

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Huh, I've lost power before and didn't have that stuff happen to an open world. My fix worked for it. I think I did lose one chunk though. A bunch of sheep, no loss. Well sorry about that man!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Not really a "killed by BTW", but more a "added insult to injury" thing that just had me seriously laughing out loud:

So, working on my Pigman farm, which is now getting rather high, a ghast spawns and starts shooting fireballs at me. One lands nearby, send me hurtling off my tower, and as I plummet to the ground I find myself saying to myself:

"Please not in the lava...please not in the lava."

Luckily, I hit the ground. In fact, I hit the Groth, and a couple of seconds after impact I hear it:

The Groth burping as it eats my food.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Well, it was just going to go to waste otherwise.... >.>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Ahem:
Orson Scott Card wrote:Let me tell you the most beautiful story I know, a man was given a dog, which he loved very much. The dog went with him everywhere, but the man could not teach it to do anything useful. The dog would not fetch or point, it would not race or protect or stand watch. Instead the dog sat near him and regarded him, always with the same inscrutable expression. 'That's not a dog, it's a wolf,' said the man's wife. 'He alone is faithful to me,' said the man, and his wife never discussed it with him again. One day the man took his dog with him into his private airplane and as they flew over high winter mountains, the engines failed and the airplane was torn to shreds among the trees. The man lay bleeding, his belly torn open by blades of sheared metal, steam rising from his organs in the cold air, but all he could think of was his faithful dog. Was he alive? Was he hurt? Imagine his relief when the dog came padding up and regarded him with that same steady gaze. After an hour the dog nosed the man's gaping abdomen, then began pulling out intestines and spleen and liver and gnawing them, all the while studying the man's face. 'Thank God,' said the man. 'At least one of us will not starve.'
-The God Whispers of Han Quing-jao
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Rake

Post by Rake »

I had a fun morning. I was putting lights in my elevator shaft that goes from about level 105 to 17. I had sent the elevator back to the top and had pillared up about 40 blocks when I fell down and died. I respawned at the top and started my descent to reclaim my battle axe, mattock, light blocks, armor and other things. Once the elevator hit the top of my pillar, I realized I had a bit of a problem. I was now about midway down an 80 block high elevator shaft with no way up or down. I broke one of the platform blocks by hand and jumped to my death. Back at the top again, I grabbed a mattock and decided I'd try to destroy the pillar as the elevator nears it on the way down. As I got closer to the pillar, I leaned over the hole in my platform and through it I went, 50 blocks down to my death again, with another mattock. For my third try, I broke out a different platform block at the top of the elevator and tried to jump down on top of the pillar this time as the elevator approached it. Of course I missed. One more mattock at the bottom now. Finally on my fourth try, I made the jump and I got to the bottom of the shaft just in time to reclaim one mattock. One of these days I'll have to engineer a backup access to get down there.

The best part of is, of course, was as I'm standing at the bottom of the elevator shaft, kicking myself for what I had just gone through, I hear my wolves being damaged. I had 8 of them sitting up on top of my base, waiting for me to rebuild my dung farm. They had been sitting so calmly in the rain for so long now. Apparently 3 of them were struck by lightning and teleported to me. I could only watch in amazement of the flaming wolves in front of me. One wolf down, 2 now at the base of the elevator, and a renewed motive to rebuild a dung farm. Maybe after the backup access.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

So I was setting up some automatic hemp modules (DB pushed by Piston)
An I just had one heart. I thought: "What can happen if I built it in a room with no monsters nearby, and no TNT, no real danger?"
Well, in the end I got hit by the DB, half standing in it, and losed two times a half heart. Now I always care for a full health bar, even when building just things were nothing can happen.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I was making an item elevator that uses a db to detect when the platform is at the top and release water to wash the items away. I tested it to see if it worked. It came up, and the water started , washing away the items. When I turned the power off, the platform lowered, but the water didn't stop, washing away all my rope (about 35). I collected it, returned to the top, and replaced the rope. Then I fell down the shaft and died. I gathered all my stuff and climbed up the rope again. In front of the db. The pulse lasted long enought to clear the rope but not long enought to ride down again, where I fell and died again. Then while I am up there fixing it a skeleton comes and shoots me. Right off the elevator to my death. Again. It is cursed!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

I was building my first sky trap out of wood yesterday. It was almost functional when a skeleton shot me through a missing block. The arrow sent me plummeting down straight into the massive lava flow next to my base. I lost all my stuff including all my dung and tanned leather. I ran out of my house to see: my sorting room is on fire. All my hoppers, axles, and gearboxes, gone. I quit for three days.
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

TheFlame52 wrote:I was building my first sky trap out of wood yesterday. It was almost functional when a skeleton shot me through a missing block. The arrow sent me plummeting down straight into the massive lava flow next to my base. I lost all my stuff including all my dung and tanned leather. I ran out of my house to see: my sorting room is on fire. All my hoppers, axles, and gearboxes, gone. I quit for three days.
The moral of the story being: lava is evil. I have ridiculous amounts of precautions in place whenever I have to use lava.
And HOW!
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

After two nights I was only hunting but nothing else I was left with half a heart. I return to my base jump on my elvator and go up to get some food out of the storageroom. While going up I did not recognise I was being pushed inside the glassblock, used to watch my base while riding the elevator. As I reach the second floor I am pushed inside a stoneblock suffering suffocationdamage and lose the last half heart.
Since I build a bed outside of my base while hunting I was not able to reach my loot before it despawned.

sidenote: - does being able to be pushed inside nonopaque blocks by elevators and not suffering any damage till being pushed inside
opaque count as vanilla bug? (It never happend to me an other way then by elevators,
so I wonder if this is even possible inVMC)
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

AddyBaha wrote:sidenote: - does being able to be pushed inside nonopaque blocks by elevators and not suffering any damage till being pushed inside opaque count as vanilla bug? (It never happend to me an other way then by elevators, so I wonder if this is even possible inVMC)
Ride a boat into a spot beneath a glass block and you'll learn that Steve can apparently breathe glass (among other things). I think it mostly hinges on the assumption that non-opaque blocks are non-block filling so they'd have air-gaps (which obviously isn't quite true for glass).
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

What? are you crazy? Of course there's air in glass blocks! :P

But assuming from the way steve makes glass, one could be semi certain that he does 'blow' glass blocks. By heating the sand, and blowing air into it he can inflate the sand like a balloon. And they just 'pop' into block shape.

natchu96

Post by natchu96 »

CycloneSP wrote:What? are you crazy? Of course there's air in glass blocks! :P

But assuming from the way steve makes glass, one could be semi certain that he does 'blow' glass blocks. By heating the sand, and blowing air into it he can inflate the sand like a balloon. And they just 'pop' into block shape.
It pops into block-shape because it can't be round. THERE'S NOT SUCH THING!
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

natchu96 wrote:

It pops into block-shape because it can't be round. THERE'S NOT SUCH THING!
slimballs and enderpearls are round...
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

O.o

Well, not quite, they are merely composed of so many small little squares in such a manner as to trick our eyes into -thinking- that they are round, where in fact they are really multi-sided polygons!!!!

but I digress, this is getting rather off topic.

SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

That'd also explain how you can make 16 glass panes from 6 glass blocks. Steve cuts each glass block up into each separate face, getting 2 or 3 (to be exact and mathematical, he gets 2.67) panes per block and the rest are too small/scrap.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

I didn't get rid of the lava because it mark my house on the map. The lava flow takes up five squares.
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
shifty

Post by shifty »

I didn't get killed by this but it did make me feel really stupid. I ran out of redstone so I thought 'I know I'll synthesis it, never tried that before.' Quick check of the wiki: 1 Gold Ingot + 9 Concentrated Hellfire -> 63 Redstone Dust.

My thought process was 'Great I've got loads of Hellfire Dust, this will be easy.' Puts it all in the crucible

Result:
Spoiler
Show
Destroyed my kiln, pottery maker, and millstone setup.