MC 1.3: Pigmen Spawn near Nether Portals

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Donzaffi

Re: MC 1.3: Pigmen Spawn near Nether Portals

Post by Donzaffi »

FC I love your idea to swaping pigmen with ghast, but I have a question too, (only a question not a suggestion) why not swaping them with magma slimes they don't drop everything (if I know right) so you don't have to think of people building farms, or do you think that they get a drop in the near future from Mojang ?

Edit: Forgotten about magma cream
Last edited by Donzaffi on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

They drop magma cream don't they?
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Donzaffi wrote:FC I love your idea to swaping pigmen with ghast, but I have a question too, (only a question not a suggestion) why not swaping them with magma slimes they don't drop everything (if I know right) so you don't have to think of people building farms, or do you think that they get a drop in the near future from Mojang ?
Ghasts can fly around and blow you and your world to smithereens and set everything on fire.
Magma cubes can squish and squirm and give you cross looks.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Haidaes wrote:I thought battosay already built a ghast farm? It just uses soul urns to spawn them.
I wouldn't know, never took the time to watch all of them. ;)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

just tried building a 9x9 internal room and had urns tossed into it, in various ways but couldn't actually get a ghast to spawn within it, so I'm not sure how battosay did it (unless it just needs to be bigger?)

That being said when I did eventually get a ghast within a controlled environment, I was able to use a lens to verify it's existence, and then blow it away with a group of dispensers loaded automatically with arrows from hoppers.
Missed arrows on the far wall were auto-dropped when the ghast died by shifting the walls with an array of sticky pistons, and the drop/arrows fell into a water stream and eventually into a chest.

So yeah, this is definitely farmable, and extremely interesting to accomplish once you get the ghast spawning (which FC might do from portals)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, sweet. We seem to be reaching a consensus here.

Overworld ghast farms = cool system with unique mechanics.

Overworld pig farms = lame nerf of the nether with no real interesting mechanics to explore other than "build a lot of portals" ;)
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

I am definitely behind the ghasts instead of pigmen idea. I have some ideas for a nether portal that can be switched off and on so this will be a reason to try them. I did however think that ghast already, albeit very rarely, spawned through nether portals.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Heilkaiba wrote:I am definitely behind the ghasts instead of pigmen idea. I have some ideas for a nether portal that can be switched off and on so this will be a reason to try them. I did however think that ghast already, albeit very rarely, spawned through nether portals.
They don't, it was mentioned and talked about a lot, but it isn't actually in place.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Heck, I still think that the nether is extremely tame when it comes to invading overworld, I wouldn't even mind if uncontrolled bloodwood growths somehow invaded overworld.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote:Heck, I still think that the nether is extremely tame when it comes to invading overworld, I wouldn't even mind if uncontrolled bloodwood growths somehow invaded overworld.
The thought has crossed my mind, but that would ultimately only serve to further devalue the Nether.
simanick

Post by simanick »

FlowerChild wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:Heck, I still think that the nether is extremely tame when it comes to invading overworld, I wouldn't even mind if uncontrolled bloodwood growths somehow invaded overworld.
The thought has crossed my mind, but that would ultimately only serve to further devalue the Nether.
i think nether growth would be more fitting and less nice, as it gives us nothing and infects everything around slowly killing plants an all life around.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

I like how this thread panned out.
I'd love a bit more fun in my world.
Noshery

Post by Noshery »

simanick wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
i think nether growth would be more fitting and less nice, as it gives us nothing and infects everything around slowly killing plants an all life around.
nether groth*

yeah, some sort of terrible consequence for building a portal would be a godsend.
simanick

Post by simanick »

Noshery wrote:nether groth*
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Interesting how this went from pigmen to ghasts.... I like it. Only problem I see would be spawn rates. I'm sure FC will be able to figure all that stuff out tho.

But now that stuff can spawn from the portal, does anyone know how to automate the lighting of the portal? I know a BD can be used to turn the portal off, but how do we automate turning it on?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

simanick wrote:
Noshery wrote:nether groth*
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Nether_Growth
Yes, Nether Groth was called Nether Growth when it was implemented in 3.9. But this was fixed in 3.91.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Elevatator wrote: Yes, Nether Groth was called Nether Growth when it was implemented in 3.9. But this was fixed in 3.91.
Damn typos.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Is there a viable way to build a pigman farm in vMC? BTW does a lot to facilitate nether pigmen farms (limit the spawning to only netherrack and netherbrick plus having nether groth to further reduce the possible spawning placed) but wouldn't it in vMC require you to replace an enormous are of the nether with half slabs? If so, then I can understand having a way to make a pigman farm in the overworld (even though I doubt that's the reason for it given Mojang's stance on mob farms)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I'm not against a bit of Gold farming in the Overworld.
Because so far the only thing I do in the Nether is to afk to wait for my shit to grow, then come back.
I built pretty much all I needed in the Nether, so I have barely no reason to stay in it, so when I come it's mostly at night, when I'm going to bed, to stay afk around my farms. Or every now and then to collect some Netherrack.
But then none of my thing are working in the Overworld, which sucks. So I barely go there.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

You know, if ghasts do start spawning from the portals, I am gonna miss this one:
Spoiler
Show
You have no idea how long it takes to get a netherportal to look somewhat decent :P
Last edited by Graphite on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Urian wrote:Is there a viable way to build a pigman farm in vMC? BTW does a lot to facilitate nether pigmen farms (limit the spawning to only netherrack and netherbrick plus having nether groth to further reduce the possible spawning placed) but wouldn't it in vMC require you to replace an enormous are of the nether with half slabs?
Lava also prevents spawn. It's readily available, and flows 7 blocks in the Nether. Then you only have to carry a few buckets.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Since everybody suddenly seems worried about the portal rooms full of ghasts, the solution is so simple, shut off your portal when it's not in use.
I'm happy that there's finally a reason to shut off the portals and it's so simple with the use of a BD and a normal dispenser with fire charges.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Whisp wrote:Since everybody suddenly seems worried about the portal rooms full of ghasts, the solution is so simple, shut off your portal when it's not in use.
I'm happy that there's finally a reason to shut off the portals and it's so simple with the use of a BD and a normal dispenser with fire charges.
Ah, but even if you turn it on for just a second to enter the nether, it could be just the second the ghast needs to spawn. And with an all wooden base, that's still bad news.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Imo that's still a controllable risk. Ghast noises are easily recognizable and a single composite bow arrow suffices to kill them. And since they only shoot on sight, it is possible to walk in a way that the fireball doesn't hit the precious wood structure.(Or just shoot the fireball back, if the ghast manages to fire before beeing killed.)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Graphite wrote:
Whisp wrote:Since everybody suddenly seems worried about the portal rooms full of ghasts, the solution is so simple, shut off your portal when it's not in use.
Ah, but even if you turn it on for just a second to enter the nether, it could be just the second the ghast needs to spawn. And with an all wooden base, that's still bad news.
Fire doesn't spread as much as it used to, it's not a massive risk anymore.