Machinery for Resource Collection

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
BinoAl

Machinery for Resource Collection

Post by BinoAl »

Well, sorry to break the deafening silence ;)
I'd love to see a resource that requires heavy machinery to collect. ie, a very strong ore that requires a mechanically powered drill to actually collect. It would encourage some interesting behavior and builds, depending on the exact implementation. Rebuilding axles and gearboxes to a temporary location to provide power to some sort of drill, collector or whatever would be an interesting mechanic
Splee999

Re: Machinery for Resource Collection

Post by Splee999 »

Hmm... isn't FC usually against modifying world gen?
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

*Cough* new dimension *cough*
Only speculation, of course.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Splee999 wrote:Hmm... isn't FC usually against modifying world gen?
Of course, but as daniel so tactfully mentioned, a new dimension is a possibility. Plus, it doesn't have to be a naturally generated resource. It could be created, like a corrupt mass stemming from nether portal use, as an unimaginative example. The implementation isn't our job to think of though
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Not sure how I'd feel about something like this for a static resource like ores; it'd encourage quickly thrown down machinery with waterwheels and buckets instead of any kind of permanent structure. And we already have lots of Machinery for renewable resources, not to mention the good old block dispenser+lever combo.

Suggestion is waaaaaay too open ended.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Suggestion is waaaaaay too open ended.
+1

and we were on such a nice roll of silence too ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wait? This isn't a troll suggestion? I was marveling at how subtle it was too...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

We could always rephrase the suggestion to:

I'd love to see something added to BTW that does something.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Stormweaver wrote:We could always rephrase the suggestion to:

I'd love to see something added to BTW that does something.
Already in the mod.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

There's nothing that a tonne of mining charges couldn't do.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, be nice guys. I understand what Bino is trying to suggest here, it's just rather vague :)

That's probably my own fault as I've been promoting suggesting mechanics rather than specific implementations. This just seems to be going a bit far in the opposite direction.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Heh, sorry for the vagueness ^.^; I didn't really have an exact implementation in mind, I just felt like making temporary collection sites and setting up at an area for just a while could work out in interesting ways. Without modifying worldgen it would be rather difficult to pull off, however. Anyway, FC got what I meant by it, so the thread has served its purpose :p
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I think the idea here is a kind of improv engineering around unpredictably placed resources. To avoid terrain gen modding, it would need to appear randomly during play. I think a meteorite is a good example: they contain rare minerals, possibly very hard ones, but they appear unpredictably (as far as a civilization lacking advanced astronomy is concerned). So it would be necessary to set up a temporary harvesting rig, take the resources, then pack up and watch for the next one to come. For more challenge, the resource could be something that expires, so as to require very quick thinking and action. I like the sound of it as a periodic bonus challenge, but perhaps its too unreliable for main tech tree advancement? Or too different from the established features?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Unless of course you could call the meteor through some means but it would then appear a randomish time later in a random chunk around your calling device...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think the best in-game example of this at present is collection of ice or Mycelium through the use of a BD if you happen to be lacking in a silk-touch enchantment. The placing and lighting of Mining Charges could even be thought of as a VERY simple example of it.

It's a mechanism I've employed on multiple occasions myself in-game (namely when lacking in silk-touch as I really couldn't be bothered with the old random enchant system), so this is something I've already been thinking about. Yes, it's largely about building temporary constructs to deal with particular situations, and from a design perspective, about striking the right balance of complexity vs reward to still make it enjoyable as opposed to tedious.

So yeah, got the idea covered ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: So yeah, got the idea covered ;)
Sweet :p
Lock at will! Lol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Sweet :p
Lock at will! Lol
Cool, yeah, I think it's run its course. I now return you to you're regularly scheduled blissful silence ;)