Here's an idea: stop posting ideas

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Here's an idea: stop posting ideas

Post by FlowerChild »

99% of ideas are crap. When your mom told you "there's no such thing as a bad idea", she was lying to you so you wouldn't feel stupid.

Only a small number of people here, mainly the people that have been with the mod for a very long time, and who only post suggestions once in a blue moon, have a solid understanding of what makes for a good idea for the mod.

-If you aren't absolutely 100% certain that your idea is a good one, then it isn't, and I don't want to hear it. If you have to say "I hope you like this idea", then I won't.

-If I've already rejected one of your ideas, then it is in your best interest not to post another (at least for a VERY long time). You either don't have enough experience with the mod to make valid suggestions, or you're an idiot. Either way, I don't want to hear your ideas.

-If you are posting ideas because you like making suggestions, or because you feel the desperate need to contribute so you can feel significant, rather than because they are actually things you really do feel a need for in the mod (and that probably covers about 90% of suggestions I receive), then stop wanking on the suggestion forums for my mod, and go find one of the many mod authors out there that are so desperate to please people, that they'll pretend that you're actually contributing something valuable by spouting drivel at them. Again, I don't want to hear your ideas.

So, in general: I don't want to hear them. Your ideas suck. If you're wondering if this post applies to you, then yes: it does.

The people that make valuable suggestions for the mod know who they are.
Thorium-232

Re: Here's an idea: stop posting ideas

Post by Thorium-232 »

My Suggestion: sticky this ;)
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Panda

Post by Panda »

+2

This is my favorite suggestion in a long time :D

I just put my addon up on the MCF and am starting to feel your pain. D:
Never say no to Panda.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

I've been watching these suggestions for a while and next to the optional end text This the best idea yet! Keep it up man you are a mad genious.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

This is almost, but not quite, as good as your last suggestion for placenta. Keep it up man, you really know what makes a good idea!

(I second the "sticky this". At least for a little bit. Until people get that they are retarded and that it takes a long time to cure that.)
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

SgtChuckle wrote:(I second the "sticky this". At least for a little bit. Until people get that they are retarded and that it takes a long time to cure that.)
That's the thing of it though. It won't stop. So long as there is a steady stream of people joining the forum (which is by no means a bad thing, so long as they take a second to read the rules) there will be a certain percentage who show up with the mindset that they know exactly what this mod is missing, and that thing is diamond saw blades. And they will need to voice that idea before they can move on with their lives.

The stated reason for this sub is equal parts idea generation and shit containment. It's like a toilet: a lot of people do their best thinking while sitting on one, but really it's there to give the masses somewhere to defecate or else they'd be doing it all over the damn place. I think this thread could serve as a permanent sign in said toilet, stating that yes, this is a place to shit, but if you're not even going to aim for the bowl then leave.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Thorium-232 wrote:
SgtChuckle wrote:(I second the "sticky this". At least for a little bit. Until people get that they are retarded and that it takes a long time to cure that.)
That's the thing of it though. It won't stop. So long as there is a steady stream of people joining the forum (which is by no means a bad thing, so long as they take a second to read the rules) there will be a certain percentage who show up with the mindset that they know exactly what this mod is missing, and that thing is diamond saw blades. And they will need to voice that idea before they can move on with their lives.

The stated reason for this sub is equal parts idea generation and shit containment. It's like a toilet: a lot of people do their best thinking while sitting on one, but really it's there to give the masses somewhere to defecate or else they'd be doing it all over the damn place. I think this thread could serve as a permanent sign in said toilet, stating that yes, this is a place to shit, but if you're not even going to aim for the bowl then leave.
I think I like you. I've got a suggestion for you, post more.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

lol !
I wonder how you managed to hold it for so long ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:lol !
Grrrrrr... :)
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Battosay wrote:lol !
*giggles*... that just drew an amusing parallel with the "idea toilet" metaphor. *snicker*
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

New block suggestion - Epiphany Toilet.

Top of the tech-tree block.
One must obtain - and use- before posting in this forum.
Of course when you do you use it you get a cut away (like the end text) saying "No, that's a shit idea."
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

Poppycocks wrote: I think I like you. I've got a suggestion for you, post more.
I second that.
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

Utterbob wrote:New block suggestion - Epiphany Toilet.
If I ever need to refer to The Device, I suspect I shall call it the Epiphany Toilet.
What Strange Devices!
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Teehee.
... and the longest idealess/suggestionless stretch in recorded history.
Though the day's not done
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I know man...the silence is deafening.

I've been reluctant to mention it though, out of fear of jinxing it ;)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

tbh I've wanted to make a few suggestions myself, but after contemplating it for a bit, I chose not to for each one. Reason being is I simply felt they either fell in the category of just my desire to make things easier(bad) or just a random quirk(unnecessary)

My gut reaction for making suggestions "oh hey, that would be neat/useful/fun/make-this-easier. But FC doesn't need these kind of suggestions. He wants meaningful suggestions. Mechanics are a good spot, but even then random mechanic ideas are just that, random.

So yeah, I fully agree with FC when he says that you need a full/better/more complete understanding of the mod before you make a suggestion.

PS: seeing as that my first suggestion ended with me having some egg in my face, I still need to play the mod before making more suggestions myself.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:...out of fear of jinxing it ;)
Idea: Bellows that blow diamond saw blades upwards into soulsteel-gearbox driven bidirectional item splitters. That you can smoke to get high.
CycloneSP wrote:I still need to play the mod before making more suggestions myself.
I think it's actually a really good idea to complete the BTW tech tree before making thinking of suggestions. A lot of the intricacy and complexity isn't apparent at first if you haven't, so whatever idea you might have will usually be more informed if you've done everything you can in the mod to begin with.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Thorium-232 wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:...out of fear of jinxing it ;)
Idea: Bellows that blow diamond saw blades upwards into soulsteel-gearbox driven bidirectional item splitters. That you can smoke to get high.
*gets out her banhammer*

*cries in defeat when she realizes it's made out of plastic*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Personally, I read this subforum for the comedy value. People are going to make stupid suggestions, and we can all laugh at them when they do. I think the current silence makes this place rather dull.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

An ancient Chinese curse I have learned all too well over the last several years:

"May you live in interesting times."

Dull can be good, sometimes.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

My only suggestion would be to sticky this... it seems to be an amazingly effective deterrent. Amazing how no one can read the forum and sub-forum rules, but this thread looming about the top of the page puts everyone's tongue in a vice-grip.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Ribky wrote:My only suggestion would be to sticky this... it seems to be an amazingly effective deterrent. Amazing how no one can read the forum and sub-forum rules, but this thread looming about the top of the page puts everyone's tongue in a vice-grip.
Maybe the thread title should be changed ever so slightly. I realize that there's a level of intimidation to keep people from posting things that are WAY off, but the current title might be slightly over the top. Of course, this is up to FlowerChilds' discretion.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Ribky wrote:My only suggestion would be to sticky this... it seems to be an amazingly effective deterrent. Amazing how no one can read the forum and sub-forum rules, but this thread looming about the top of the page puts everyone's tongue in a vice-grip.
Ah, but if it was stickied, it would fall into the same 'Meh. No point reading' category as the rules. It must stay at the top buy force of posting alone to remain effective.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Then would this be considered necro at some point? Or off-topic?
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Not if interesting or new on-topic conversation was generated. Though touse a cliche, easier said than done :)
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.