Another hint? (spoilery, perhaps)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Graphite

Another hint? (spoilery, perhaps)

Post by Graphite »

I'm surprised that the new release thread has already reached the second page without anyone commenting on this rather out of place piece of artwork. Surely FC must be trolling us or providing us a new hint:

If I had to guess, the circle in the middle represents the overworld and the four spheres around it might be the classical elements fire, air (never seen yellow used for that yet), earth and water. The bottom-most sphere might be the nether. But why is fire so different from the others. Could it be the final step in reaching whatever is at the top?
DxPanxD

Re: Another hint? (spoilery, perhaps)

Post by DxPanxD »

When I saw that tapestry, I thought it was a diagram of sorts that mapped out salt lines and candles for some future ritual. Probably not right, but that's what popped into my head first.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

At first I thought it was kind of a diagram of the realms - overworld (middle) to nether (red one) to end (black at the top.)

But then, there aren't four other realms, currently.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

It's a bird!
It's a plane!
It's...amazing

Top one is the end, which appears to be losing/gaining it's souls/fire/energy from the red nether. I remember FC saying something about how redstone was just souls or whatever bleeding through from the nether, which explains the red going from the nether into the Overworld.
Agreed, the middle is the Overworld, then brown Earth, Blue water, and of course "Home". No idea what the yellow may represent.

What I think is really interesting is that the connections from the corner symbols to the Overworld are pink/purple, and the one from the end is black which indicates the unique end portal. The pink connections may be via eye's of enders which are presumably different strongholds(save for the red nether). The white connections are likely just peripheral connections, and of little significance. Now the red line from the Overworld to "Home" is interesting, the solid red may mean a more...concentrated portal, like the one to the nether, but stronger.

All in all very interesting stuff. I've enjoyed speculating, thanks FC, and Graphite for bringing this to my attention.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hmmm... Definitely looks like a record of Steve's plan. I would say that the red is surely the nether and represents the element fire at the same time while the red cloudy stuff probably indicates the flow of souls. The H would be home. Does this indicate that there are going to be three other realms? One each for air, earth, and water? If not it would still likely mean that each of the three points has a specific elemental property among those three. And we will probably need pieces of each element before we can succeed in returning home.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to point out:

MCF is currently owning you guys in figuring this out :)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Oh, the shame! THE SHAME!

In my defense, it was 8am when I posted that earlier ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

The shame is truly mine. I apparently should have known better.

Whelp, I'm off to break into temple to re-acquaint myself with the things I should have known to have solved this puzzle!

THE MOD MADE ME DO IT!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

FlowerChild wrote:Just wanted to point out:

Seen that. That guy on MCF is impressive!
Rake

Post by Rake »

Well I mostly figured out what all the canvases, except the one in the OP, are. I wasn't sure how you expected us non-art majors to figure out these so Google has been helpful if that's ok. I'll leave it up to individuals to look deeper into the meanings for each of these. That was the fun part for me.

10 canvases total

4 tarot cards - The Magician, The Fool, The Hanged Man, and Death...

The picture with the fallen angel is Lament for Icarus by Herbert James Draper

The name of the guy with the fish legs is Dagon

The pentacle is specifically a Golden Dawn Earth Pentacle

The 3-headed creature I assumed to be a hydra, but not sure there

The darker painting is called Isle of the Dead by Arnold Bocklin

The last one FC probably drew and it looks like an H in the lower circle, for Home perhaps?
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Rake wrote:The last one FC probably drew and it looks like an H in the lower circle, for Home perhaps?
Or hell?
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

Rake wrote: The name of the guy with the fish legs is Dagon
Huh, I remembered him discussion Dagon, back when someone mentioned H. P. Lovecraft.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:Just wanted to point out:

Well heres my take, it seems like a guide for the return home, these clearly look like the four points you mentioned with a center anchor, the middle to the equation, im guessing the bottom one with a H might be home and the top one is still undiscovered, plus this diagram makes me feel like im looking at a neo systema sephirotica.
Image Image Image
Last edited by Panda on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never say no to Panda.
Urian

Post by Urian »

The one with the 'H' in the lower circle resembles the Three of Life (or Death) from the Kabbalah (simplified). Of course, it can also be meant so show the way the 4 fixed points interact.

I don't think the 3 headed monster is a hydra (too few heads and it's got wings). My guess is that it's perhaps a chimera.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Panda

Post by Panda »

Urian wrote:The one with the 'H' in the lower circle resembles the Three of Life (or Death) from the Kabbalah (simplified). Of course, it can also be meant so show the way the 4 fixed points interact.

I don't think the 3 headed monster is a hydra (too few heads and it's got wings). My guess is that it's a chimera.
Ninja'd :D
systema sephirotica is the tree of life :D
Never say no to Panda.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

hehe, I recognised the sephirot from La Mulana :P

I personally think it's a map of paths between worlds, with red signifying open ones through which souls can move and the number of souls moving through that path

the middle is most likely the overworld, the bottom is probably home, the top seems like the end, and the red is the nether.

if we look at the nether circle, most souls are passing to the nether, in a nice squirty pattern symbolizing the enderdragon's soul shit. smaller amounts of the depleted souls are making their way to the overworld, either representing the leak that forms redstone, or possibly steve bringing back netherrack.

the other three elemental circles are most likely places which neither steve or the enderdragon have reached yet/give a shit about.

the red line leading to home must require a HUGELY concentrated amount of souls to form/maintain it's path.

the grey dots are likely endermen ferrying souls/material to The End, or raw souls
my theory: the other dimensions are where we go in phases 1-3, with Home being released in phase 4.
Home will require significant amounts of materials from each dimension
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Calcifire3691 wrote:hehe, I recognised the sephirot from La Mulana :P

I personally think it's a map of paths between worlds, with red signifying open ones through which souls can move and the number of souls moving through that path

the middle is most likely the overworld, the bottom is probably home, the top seems like the end, and the red is the nether.

if we look at the nether circle, most souls are passing to the nether, in a nice squirty pattern symbolizing the enderdragon's soul shit. smaller amounts of the depleted souls are making their way to the overworld, either representing the leak that forms redstone, or possibly steve bringing back netherrack.

the other three elemental circles are most likely places which neither steve or the enderdragon have reached yet/give a shit about.

the red line leading to home must require a HUGELY concentrated amount of souls to form/maintain it's path.

the grey dots are likely endermen ferrying souls/material to The End, or raw souls
my theory: the other dimensions are where we go in phases 1-3, with Home being released in phase 4.
Home will require significant amounts of materials from each dimension

Yeah, that sounds good.

The first 4 paintings and the 4 Tarot cards are likely linked to the 4 dimensions; and to the 4 points we are supposed to find.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Urian

Post by Urian »

The 3 headed thing is a dragon, Zmey Gorynych
Spoiler
Show
Twololcats

Post by Twololcats »

A blue and green circle, a red one below, and a black on top, seems like overworld end and nether to me, but the four squares, elements? Didn't fc say something about FOUR points of interest in everyone's world?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Twololcats wrote:A blue and green circle, a red one below, and a black on top, seems like overworld end and nether to me, but the four squares, elements? Didn't fc say something about FOUR points of interest in everyone's world?

Might be elements, at least the paintings can be associated with the 4 elements.
Earth - Earth Pentacle
Water - Dagon (he's in his fish-god aspect)
Fire & Air - The Dragon and Icarus both can fit either one of these. One is flying and breathes fire while the other could fly but got too close to the sun and got burnt.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

I'll laugh when we get Steve home, i'll bet it'll be the most anti climatic thing ever because clearly its the path and not the destination that is important. Minecraft Better than Wolves will end up being a HUGE batch file executing "The Sims" or reruns of "The Honeymooners".

*Steve, now home, depleted of power and no longer having access to the flow of souls from this side of the dimensions, closes his eyes and dreams of returning to the magical land he so struggled to get away from. A female hand rushes through the air knocking away Steve's arm upon which his head was resting. "... aren't you even listing to me?! Where have you been?! It's another woman isn't it?! The kids and I were worried sick!"
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

the one thing I'm having trouble figuring out is the yellow circle, if they are representative of elemental planes, the only one it could be is air (assuming they are classical elements)
however, unless it refers to the sun or sand (because air seems to get lumped with deserts, sandstorms I guess) I haven't got a clue why it would be yellow
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Urian wrote:The 3 headed thing is a dragon, Zmey Gorynych
Spoiler
Show
Ok, my favorite mod ever directly linking to mythology? This is probably the coolest thing that ever happened.

FC, you've managed to do an update that shines by itself without even needing too many new features. I'm astonished.

Now, I'd die a happy man if I saw Koschei and Baba Yaga.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Ceunon wrote:Now, I'd die a happy man if I saw Koschei and Baba Yaga.
I built a chicken-legged hut in one of my old Minecraft worlds.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

^ What a ridiculous man you are...
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.