Theorycrafting: Steve, the black-hearted mad genius

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Re: Theorycrafting: Steve, the black-hearted mad genius

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

In real life I take the chaotic neutral approach to things. In games I am perfectly ok with being as evil as possible. Or as good as possible. In the case of Steve, it honestly makes much more sense to me that (even without BTW) he would be evil. An immortal, Extremely powerful being. capable of just about anything... And for some reason he is trapped in a world alone... Where the only other beings are stupid and/or out to kill him... It seems like imprisonment to me. and not that good people don't get wrongly imprisoned... but it seems to me that steves imprisonment is entirely just.
And HOW!
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

...and with the harvested souls [of BTW,] he claws his way out of the womb of this prison world, bleeding placentae draped across his body.....
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Marasambala wrote:...and with the harvested souls [of BTW,] he claws his way out of the womb of this prison world, bleeding placentae draped across his body.....
Precisely... Once you get into the Better than Wolves Aspect of things the only way you can still think of Steve as the good guy is with a fair bit of moral gymnastics. Which, as FC pointed out, is quite evil itself ;)
And HOW!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Well, steve isn't really immortal per se, because that would imply he can't die. And we all know steve can die; he can just ressurect himself.

So I think it has something to do with his imprisonment. He is trapped in a world unable to escape(for now) and has only the options of living forever alone, or dying over and over again.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

CycloneSP wrote:Well, steve isn't really immortal per se, because that would imply he can't die. And we all know steve can die; he can just ressurect himself.
I would strongly disagree with that. You're confusing Steve with the corporeal form he uses. True his body is not indestructible. That does not however change the fact that Steve is immortal and cannot die.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

CycloneSP wrote:Well, steve isn't really immortal per se, because that would imply he can't die. And we all know steve can die; he can just ressurect himself.

So I think it has something to do with his imprisonment. He is trapped in a world unable to escape(for now) and has only the options of living forever alone, or dying over and over again.
The world does not change at all while he sleeps.
If he is not nearby, the world goes into suspended animation.
If he is not concentrating on the world, it pauses and waits.

I'm pretty sure the world is just Steve's imagination, or a construct in his mind.
Gargantuan_Penguin

And that is true (to an extent) on hardcore... The difference being that when he dies his "reality" dies as well, and he has to start over from scratch.
:edit: creepy ninja...
And HOW!
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I just had an unnerving thought: what if this world was just a rite of passage? "prove you can enslave this world and you will be accepted among us"

or hell, what if it is a prison for those who are too weak or not evil enough? maybe steve was thrown in there as food for the dragon because in Home, that's all he would have been seen as good for?

it's comforting to think that the inhabitants of Home would fear us, but what if they don't?

let's not forget, they have a way of sending things through dimensions, so they probably use soulforgedsteel themselves.
Gargantuan_Penguin

The question I have to ask myself as far as "home" goes, is what would FC do that would give it the most interesting gameplay. Would having a bunch of Superpowerful entities such as steve make for good game play in the same theme as better than wolves, or would it become more of a sociological thing. I think it is far more likely that Things will be far more Surreal... or basic than that. As opposed to there being some sort of almost human like society.
And HOW!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Could always be some amazingly anti-climatic prank. ....maybe?

As for immortal or no, being immortal implies that you cannot die. Steve can die, so a more appropriate term would be eternal, since he can reincarnate himself eternally.

as for portals, I think I mentioned something about him being thrown into a device of his own making as part the irony in his punishment. However, whether there are many smarter or dumber than him is to be found out when we return 'home.'

However, I heard FC was interested in incorporating some form of heavy artillery akin to player made cannons or stuff like that, and I would love to have a practical use for that stuff outside of SMP. So with the return home, maybe we can craft large constructs in 'home' to destroy stuff and enslave things.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

There is some interesting logic here. "Home" is a place where Steve is from, and there are more like him there. Know what that sounds a little like? SMP.

Would FC really do that? Lock each person in their own little "SSP" until they had the tech to travel someone else's SSP? Or the "multiverse"?

Of course this isn't FC's lore. This is Cyclone's theorycrafting.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
XephodHuntmaster

Post by XephodHuntmaster »

Hmmmm...

I think you guys are over looking a big factor of the whole "Steve is living in a fantasy world" thing: Lord Herobrine. Many players out there have had encounters with him. Acordding to them Herobrine leaves them crypric messages. One of the most common ones is a small room in the side of a hill with nothing but a wooden "couch" and a sign that says "wake up". This emplies that the steve is living in a dream world and Herobrine was put there to help him come out of his dream world. Also for those of you who have actually read all of the end credits; you'll be familiar with the "end poem". In the course of the end poem you learn alot about steve's excistence. the end poem consists of two people(presumably Notch and another(maybe Herobrine)) talking(telepathically) to one another about how Steve has moved to a higher plane of excistance and also about how steve can now read their thoughts. And again towards the end of the poem the two people finish off with a two person poem about the world Steve was living in and how it looks. And then at the very end of the poem it says "wake up". Which is strong evidence for Herobrine's excistence and thus for the idea of steve's dream world and how Herobrine is there to help Steve wake up.

Sorry for being so long winded.
XephodHuntmaster
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

First: Herobrine does not exist.
Second: The Endpoem refers to minecraft as the game it is, with creative mode, survival mode, adventure maps, and even SMP.
Third: You think too much Vanilla.
Fc´s Background story is about a single game. A single world. The world the player walks in. That´s the difference. The endpoem writes about all possibilitys in Minecraft, and how it can magically be changed or something like that.
The only important thing from the endpoem is in my eyes the Mark Twain Quote:
Spoiler
Show
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Disclaimer: some of the things I say aren't facts but what I think to be true, such as what the pictures show.

Theory:

The 4 points in the Minecraft World are the spawn and the 3 strongholds.
Each one corresponds to a certain element: Water, Fire, Earth, Air. Whenever you activate The Device you enter a realm connected to an element, or perhaps when you activate them all you go "Home".

Flowerchild's video showed him building The Device in his spawn (almost all hints point there). He put redstone on all of the SFS blocks, which is a something that reacts with them as we now know.

The picture he showed us was The Device in a stronghold-looking place, without redstone. Above were pistons, stopping water (or another liquid) from flowing. The device wasn't on the floor like before - now it was "floating" above a 1-high gap. Under it were mossy bricks - That means there were also hidden pistons, on the bottom sides, stopping other water. When the lever in the pisture is pulled, water covers The Device's top and bottom, which as we know reacts with it and makes drinking noises.

The other 2 ways to invoke the elements probable use the bellows (for air), and something else for Earth.

Now, to the new pictures:
The upper 4 pictures were purposely put there:
-Icarus
-Slavic Dragon
-Earth Pentacle/symbol
-Dagon

They symbolize Air (Icarus), Fire (Dragon), Earth (earth pentacle) and Water (Dagon, the half-fish god).
The other pictures are the "graph" of the worlds, which are The End (above), The Overworld (middle), Home (bottom), and the 4 elements (Around the middle), while the Red element, Fire, symbolizes the Nether; The 4 tarot cards of Magician, Hanged man, Death and Fool (are also the 4 elements?); and Isle of the Dead, which in my opinion depicts The End - Small island, white walls/floor, dark trees (towers of obsidian? Endermen?).

It all makes so much sense.
Last edited by Itamarcu on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

If Steve is evil, the monsters really are the good guys.
What Strange Devices!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

By the way, speaking of element-related Strongholds:

Epic foreshadowing by FlowerChild?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Herr Derp

Post by Herr Derp »

So it's Myst. And Steve is creating the puzzles.

I have surpassed all of your intelligent literary references with a dead series that had a very small fan base.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'd like to note something else about steve: I think he's an Automatic Writer.

How else does his mystical knowledge increase by reading books He Himself Wrote? Why else are we trying to decipher the clues hidden in paintings we ourlselves made? Because even though we crafted them, we're channeling something from outside of us when we do so. What is this mysterious force? Why is it so interested in us? Perhaps that force is what resurrects us every time we die.

What I'm saying here is that perhaps steve isn't the final evil here. Perhaps we're just the minion.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Itamarcu wrote: The 4 points in the Minecraft World are the spawn and the 3 strongholds.
Each one corresponds to a certain element: Water, Fire, Earth, Air. Whenever you activate The Device you enter a realm connected to an element, or perhaps when you activate them all you go "Home".
I think each of the elements is tied to a different stronghold but, as we already have a way to travel to the Nether (and thus "interact" with Fire), there isn't a fire stronghold. The spawn is probably tied to "Home", probably being Steve's final destination (and maybe the peak of the tech tree?).
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

There is not a thing like good and evil, it depends on which side you are standing or on which side are standing the people who said some is good or evil.
For example we all think assasination is evil, but if we think further we all can think of Assasins that are called heroes in some lands ;)
It depends how i said on which side you are standing.
In Star Wars perhabs the Stormtrooper think hey, we have brought peace to thee galaxy ;)

And now to steve, perhabs the so called "home" dimension is our dimension and steve wakes up from his halluzination in a asylum :D
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

My "fanon" for vanilla Minecraft is that Steve is thrust forward into the future by his government to escape the apocalyptic invasion of the Enderdragon and his minions. Eventually Steve defeats the Ender Dragon and makes peace with the fact that he can't save his people, resolving to build a brighter future with the Testificates.

In Better Than Wolves, however, Steve cannot accept that he can't save his civilization and resorts to more and more extreme measures to save his "home". Better Than Wolves is more of a tragedy to me than it is a horror story.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Caboose wrote:In Better Than Wolves, however, Steve cannot accept that he can't save his civilization and resorts to more and more extreme measures to save his "home". Better Than Wolves is more of a tragedy to me than it is a horror story.
That is... strangely poignant. Like 'I am Legend' (the book, not the film). I like it.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

The best return to home would be a home video'd cinematic of steve lying on a psychiatrist's couch / Flowerchild's face leering at us from the dark whilst telling us to "relax"....
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
natchu96

Post by natchu96 »

Donzaffi wrote:There is not a thing like good and evil, it depends on which side you are standing or on which side are standing the people who said some is good or evil.
For example we all think assasination is evil, but if we think further we all can think of Assasins that are called heroes in some lands ;)
In Star Wars perhabs the Stormtrooper think hey, we have brought peace to thee galaxy ;)

And now to steve, perhabs the so called "home" dimension is our dimension and steve wakes up from his halluzination in a asylum :D
How do you define "Evil"? What isn't good.

How do you define "Good"? What isn't evil.

They are mere invented concepts; adjectives that have no meaning other than to justify man's actions and invalidate others'.

Ah, yes, FMA. Truth would want to say a thing or two about Steve's soul harvesting routines . . .
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

natchu96 wrote:
Donzaffi wrote:There is not a thing like good and evil, it depends on which side you are standing or on which side are standing the people who said some is good or evil.

How do you define "Evil"? What isn't good.

How do you define "Good"? What isn't evil.

They are mere invented concepts; adjectives that have no meaning other than to justify man's actions and invalidate others'.

Ah, yes, FMA. Truth would want to say a thing or two about Steve's soul harvesting routines . . .
hell, by this point, the amount of souls we've devoured, we'd actually have a pretty good chance of pulling off Father's plan
it's a good thing we're not making a huge symbol by performing certain actions at certain points resulting in a huge concentration of souls in those places, then standing at the center and opening a portal