I think I know why FC mentioned salt!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Ulfengaard

Re: I think I know why FC mentioned salt!

Post by Ulfengaard »

morvelaira wrote:
Ulfengaard wrote:
DIG_down wrote: -snip-
Thanks for the clarification, both of you. So excited! I can't wait to see what comes of this. Now, to begin designing my salt factory....
How can you design a factory when you don't have any details on the mechanics? o.O
Microsoft Paint, a powerful imagination, and several ideas on sources for salt. Speculation needn't be confined to the forums. To the pixel field!
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

You do know that rock salt, the kind used in Supernatural, is mined rather than produced? Might be it's a resource in in the terrain, especially under lakes (which would also fit with the SFS armor changes)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I squee for you, good sirs. Continue to speculate. May I have another?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Ribky wrote:I think since tanning leather is already fairly well established in the mod, that salt will be used for something else further down the tech tree. Maybe salt will be thrown into leather tanning to mix things up a little, but I'm 100% certain that salt is not being added to the mod just to complicate the process of tanning a little more.
I've seen FC mention multiple times that the dung-leather tanning process isn't what he ideally has in mind, so it's possible that in may be incorporated into the process, but I personally wouldn't bet on it. Salt likely has a much more specific use in mind, but will no doubt be used in existing production-salted deep fried pickles for example.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DIG_down wrote: I've seen FC mention multiple times that the dung-leather tanning process isn't what he ideally has in mind, so it's possible that in may be incorporated into the process, but I personally wouldn't bet on it. Salt likely has a much more specific use in mind, but will no doubt be used in existing production-salted deep fried pickles for example.
Make it pickled wolf-rinds and you've got a deal.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

FlowerChild wrote:Make it pickled wolf-rinds and you've got a deal.
Sounds delicious, but for that you would need some vinegar, or something acidic....For the record, that's not a hint is it? Acids and bases and all that jazz? ;)
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DIG_down wrote: Sounds delicious, but for that you would need some vinegar, or something acidic....For the record, that's not a hint is it? Acids and bases and all that jazz? ;)
Hellfire dust...definitely. Steve's a real man.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

So then this is the next phase?
Adding danger to everyday activities is on your checklist right?
Poor Steve.
FlowerChild wrote:
+1
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

FlowerChild wrote:
Horizon wrote:Maybe it'll be a system in which food slowly rots, and salt prolongs the freshness.
Good call. They do a lot of that in that series. While it's been a side-line the entire time for them, I hear in season 8 Sam & Dean are going to give up hunting beasties entirely and set up a booth selling preserves at the local flea market.
You just ruined the whole series for me. I hadn't even heard of it, and now I don't really feel like watching it any more. :(

Just curious though... do they have a sign at their market booth that says "Jerky Boys"?
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Problem is, I don't think it will be the burn the ghost or the mine-able applications because that sounds like FC would be messing with world gen, either spawning in graves or salt deposits. Doesn't mean it can't be in another world ;)
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

Or meticulously extracted from seawater. Can't wait to run a pump with a hand crank. :P
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

How about salt coming from endstone? Netherrack/Hellfire dust seems to act like an acid, so the counterpart (is it the right word?) Would be something from the end. Endstone.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Elevatator wrote:How about salt coming from endstone? Netherrack/Hellfire dust seems to act like an acid, so the counterpart (is it the right word?) Would be something from the end. Endstone.
Damn end stone as a chemical base is an intriguing idea! But more than likely salt would be from processing water, it's more intuitive and FC wouldn't have to explain how salt is from the end. I could definitely see the end having a unique chemical property though.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I am glad to see my suspicions confirmed on the salt thing. I had just started watching Supernatural again a couple nights ago and suddenly I though "Hey! I wonder if thats what we will use salt for." I didn't say a damn thing about it though...
And HOW!
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Most posts are talkign about the salt keep at bay. I dont think I've heard the opposite which may be more likely... keeping things IN.
Portal might not be for Steve but some sorta summoning thing with salt to hold the summoned.
The nether was originally called Hell.

just rambling
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Since FC doesn't like Silverfish, maybe the salt is for this type of thing?
(Like Stormweaver previously mentioned)

Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

The longer I look at that picture, the funnier it gets.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

I have to admit the first thing that popped in my head when FC mention salt was Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory but I was fairly sure that it didn't have to do bad eggs being sent to an incinerator by an educated eggdicator.
The thought of food being able spoil over time and the need to preserve it is very appealing to me. Even though there was no need to I have always build Ice houses to keep food fresh to make it a little harder on my self.
Having salt be able to ward off and/or control spirits is also an intriguing proposition. If this was used to control spirits then maybe you could use it as a trap for other players on a anarchy sever.
What ever FC has planed I can't wait to see it. He has never disappointed me with any of his updates.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

"Salt firing is a vapor-glazing process where salt (sodium chloride) is introduced into kiln firebox at high temperature. The salt vaporizes, and sodium vapor combines with silica in clay surface, forming extremely hard sodium-silicate glaze. Many ceramic artists and potters use the salt firing technique to great creative effect on their work and in this section, they share tips, techniques, firing schedules and more. Plus, if you haven't already, be sure to download your free copy of the The Salt Glaze Surface: A Guide to Salt Glazing and Firing, a terrific reference if you are interested in salt firing."
Potery too :)
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

If something like mechanically powered brine wells were added to BTW, I would probably just die happy on the spot - between that, tuning forks and all the thing in the Deco Add-on, basically all I really cared about in Mediate would be essentially standard BTW. I don't even care what the salt would be used for!
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

The only thing I can think of for collecting salt would be using a lens or something to evaporate water. Although that'd mean all water is salt water which doesn't make sense since it's obviously not killing crops.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

It's also possible that you would create salt through a chemical reaction. In fact, it could have something to do with nether sludge. Seeing that nether sludge is created through an acid-base reaction. And the product of such reactions is always a salt and water. So maybe we need to "dehydrate" the nether sludge somehow. Of course, this could be way off.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

LaserCooled wrote:It's also possible that you would create salt through a chemical reaction. In fact, it could have something to do with nether sludge. Seeing that nether sludge is created through an acid-base reaction. And the product of such reactions is always a salt and water. So maybe we need to "dehydrate" the nether sludge somehow. Of course, this could be way off.
Explaining why FC took nether sludge as a way to get clay and now how he is going to add it to normal clay again I guess
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Or maybe the salt's only purpose is to make orange flames.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Also, sodium has some... interesting interactions with water. Spoiler alert: kaboom. What items in BTW have recently been changed to have some strange interactions with water? That's right, SFS. Also, we've seen water that can be unleashed by pistons as a part of the "mystery device". It's quite possible that salt may play an important role in that machine.
The following is pure speculation by me: The machine's purpose is to explode while Steve is on it and kill him, but due to some sort of modifications made to the original spawnpoint and the strongholds, Steve is unable to respawn as usual in our normal world. Instead, he is sent back to his original "home".
It is also possible that the salt will be used to make a massive summoning circle connecting or encompassing the spawn and the 3 strongholds, opening a portal to... something.
It is also possible that I'm just making up random bullshit and that the salt's use is something quite scientific and logical.

This has been Rampant Speculation, brought to you buy SgtChuckle, sponsored by Paranoia, Inc. and the Mounting Anticipation Corp.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.