The GlowstoneTree

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
akantorJojo

The GlowstoneTree

Post by akantorJojo »

Hi Guys,

as I read through the Forum the following Topic jumped into my eye
MrLemon wrote:Hi, I know it’s not well looked upon to have one’s first post be a suggestion, but I’d figured I’d take a shot, especially considering that this is more of a partial idea than anything, and not a new block or what have you.

Anyway the suggestion is for a plant that, like hemp, needs to actually see the sky in order to grow, however, unlike hemp, it must be night for this plant to grow, during the day, if the plant could see the sky, the plant will actually ‘’un-grow’, possibly even completly killing itself.

This gives the plant several interesting properties, it discourages the use of beds, as it will only grow at night, and also encourages the use of the lens in order to automate. This plant would also be difficult to grow if you don’t have an automated system for it, as otherwise you would have to constantly put blocks over it during the day.

Another thing to point out is this doesn't necessarily have to be a plant, it could be anything, but a plant works well as an example.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4907

As FC said that he actualy has no plans for a new plant or tree i was kind of sad that this cool feature is probably not going to be added.
Having this idear in mind I went on playing, and niticed that thanks to FC BTW offers options to farm most of the recources endless
Spoiler
Show
  • Iron -> Mobtraps or Irongolemfarms
  • Gold -> Zombiepigmenfarms
  • Mossystones -> Monsterspawners or water
and i guess there are even more
but there are some recources that ar atill not endless such as (please tell me if i´m wrong):
  • Redstone
  • glowstone
  • clay
so the little thing that i did was to connect this and create the following idear:
there will be a new type of tree that works exactly in the way that MrLemon thought it. but what this plant produces is either Glowstonedust or Redstonedust (clay would be cool too but that seams illogocal even if its thought in magic ways). The production cycle of the new plant would be that it drops one Glowstonedust/Redstonedust each time the full moon reaches the middle of the night. (dont know how often that would be but i think not that often)

So well basicly this is the idear.

EDIT: there may be four wasy this plant could work:
1. Like mellons: there is the glowstoneplant-stem and each full mood cycle there is a glowstone block spawning in the location next to the stem.
2. like trees: the plant is a normal growing tree with normal wood (or even a new wod type but I gue FC does not like to add that much new bloks) and leafes, but ech full moon cycle the leafs turn into glowstone
3. like weat: so there would be needed a new seed type
4. like hemp: also a new seed type...
3+4: the harvested plant must be put in the millstone or something else to obtain the dust

I hope this idear is good enought to pull their introduction in the preamble.
Gareleus

Re: The GlowstoneTree

Post by Gareleus »

While your way of suggesting was good, the suggestion in itself is not. Fc stated in a similar thread about growable glowstone, that he did not want to make everything harvest able or renewable.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I also said that I liked the night-plant idea and that I'd keep in in mind for future features. Not sure how you got the idea that it wouldn't be part of the mod as a result of that.
Six

Post by Six »

Just to clarify a few points in the OP, redstone dust can be created in a crucible, by placing in gold and concentrated hellfire, so it is endless. The resources which are not endless are clay, glowstone, lapis and diamonds (but who cares about more than a few diamonds anyway?). I could see glowstone dust as being a logical thing to harvest from the night-plant, but then as Gareleus reiterated, not everything needs to be renewable.

Also it was stated in this thread that really there is no direct need for masses of glowstone dust beyond asthetics at the moment. You should search before suggesting something to see if the core idea of your suggestion has been put forward before and what the response was, and if you still think the idea is good, try to address what was raised in the previous thread.
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

hmmm...
well i used the search function with the folowing tags: glowstone tree plant
and there where no matches... so i did not think about http://www.sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4938 . I´m sorry for that.
FlowerChild wrote:I also said that I liked the night-plant idea and that I'd keep in in mind for future features. Not sure how you got the idea that it wouldn't be part of the mod as a result of that.
I maybe was a bit affraid of you to forget about this... because there are so many awesome things you are keping in mind to add.
Six wrote:Also it was stated in this thread that really there is no direct need for masses of glowstone dust beyond asthetics at the moment. You should search before suggesting something to see if the core idea of your suggestion has been put forward before and what the response was, and if you still think the idea is good, try to address what was raised in the previous thread.
I´m sure FC will add more funktionality to glowstone and more need for glowstonedust in future... I will see if i can help him with some good idears ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

One would think that relying on keeping good ideas on memory only is a poor game design strategy :P

I'm sure FC doesn't really like being reminded of things he has not only already commented on, but done so recently too..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

FlowerChild wrote:I might be able to work the phase of the moon into this as well actually. It kinda bugs me that it got added to the game but wasn't made part of actual gameplay.

I'm thinking the most reasonable (in a fantasy way) explanation for any of the above is that the plant requires moonlight to grow. Just "seeing the sky" doesn't make much sense on its own.

Anyways, it's all hypothetical at this point as I have no immediate plans for a new plant, but this could come in handy down the road.
I just tried to give him an option how to add this thing.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

If anything should get a recipe, it would be clay I suppose, as it's used rather extensively in the higher ages.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I would also like to point out that in your list of btw renewable resources, neither iron nor gold farming were added by FC. They are vanilla. And FC is going to or already has removed iron from zombie drops. The point of btw is to add more playable content and exciting features that have a large amount of versatility. If it so happens that a certain resource is needed in large quantities that cannot be obtained otherwise, mossy cobble for example, FC adds a way for us to get it. This does not work the other way around. I doubt we will see additional renewables until the mod actually had a need for them.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

@SterlingRed Removing iron item drops? I thought he was reducing it to 25% of the current drop rate.

Also, one thing that might not have considered in that other thread is the eventual smp support. It can be difficult to find glowstone when you're competing with 2 dozen other people who need it too. Of course that just means exploring farther into the nether, and anything to give the nether a bit more of a reason to be explored is a good thing in my book.
Last edited by DxPanxD on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Derp. Forgot that was the outcome of that discussion. Thanks for the correction.
Of course it could be a lot more difficult to get in smp, but we will have to wait and see how that works before asking FC to add features for a play style that doesn't exist yet.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Nah I thought I was wrong, just remembered something about 1/4 the drop on the minecraft forums thread. Thought maybe he had changed his mind and wanted to make Golems the sole source of renewable iron.

And yeah, no sense fixing anything if you don't know whether or not it's broken yet. And on a friendly server it probably won't be hard to find something to trade for some glowstone if you can't find any yourself.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

The reason you likely didn't get a return on your search is because your search terms were too specific. Searching just for glowstone quickly turns up the othr thread that was mentioned, as it only occurred within the last week. Still on the front page of the subforum, I believe.

Also, I have seen FC remember things and surprise us with them months later. He doesn't need reminding every few days. Just because he hasn't posted a thread where he's teasing us mercilessly about the next update - or even talking much about his current work at all - doesn't mean he isn't doingg anything or making new plans. So, chill man. :)

As for the suggestion itself, you did a lot of decent thinking on the how, but the question you really should be asking is why. FC will take care of the how generally, and I would wager figuring that out is part of what he wnjoys about making the mod. But you need to really ask why something is needed before you make a suggestion. I know resource renewability seems a good idea given the way vMC is going, but it's something we tend to resist around here.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

akantorJojo wrote: I maybe was a bit affraid of you to forget about this... because there are so many awesome things you are keping in mind to add.
It was a few days ago. When I say I'll keep something in mind for the future, I mean it, and generally don't need reminders.

Are you expecting me to drop everything else I'm working on immediately because someone posts a good idea? I have those too you know.
akantorJojo wrote: I´m sure FC will add more funktionality to glowstone and more need for glowstonedust in future... I will see if i can help him with some good idears ;)
Please don't.