Sharing useful builds that get the job done

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
bmanfoley

Re: Sharing useful designs that get the job done

Post by bmanfoley »

I've loved a lot of the designs in this thread so far, so I thought I'd contribute.

I give you my compact, vertical cow breeding tower. It automatically breeds cows/mooshrooms and holds the babies in a very compact space until they reach adulthood, at which point they leave the device and you can process them however you please. I originally built this in my survival world, but I rebuilt it in creative so people could get a better look at the circuitry.

Pictures and information: http://imgur.com/a/IWimJ

World download: http://www.mediafire.com/?4gk2yvmakmrm0gc
Six

Post by Six »

bmanfoley wrote:I've loved a lot of the designs in this thread so far, so I thought I'd contribute.

I give you my compact, vertical cow breeding tower. It automatically breeds cows/mooshrooms and holds the babies in a very compact space until they reach adulthood, at which point they leave the device and you can process them however you please. I originally built this in my survival world, but I rebuilt it in creative so people could get a better look at the circuitry.

That is a really really cool. Super compact for an automated breeder, I like.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Six, I just built that soul bottler in creative to check it out, and I absolutely love that thing. Compact, quick, and it makes a nice series of rhythmic sounds!
SpaceGuyR

Post by SpaceGuyR »

A BUD arrays (couple types here) are a perfect early-game way to automatically detect sugar cane/hemp growing before anvil tech, sticky pistons or even diamonds. (the obsidian replacable by furnaces/chests) I'm currently using any of 7 sugar cane to trigger a harvest 28 sugar/28 hemp which works very quickly.
Yosuke

Re: Sharing useful builds that get the job done

Post by Yosuke »

Yet another melon/pumpkin farm

It uses a detector block to detect if a melon pumpkin has grown and if so, the signal powers a sticky piston which pushes the detector block and the melon.
The melon gets into a water stream and is collected in one hopper for the complete farm (as I really don't like farms where the things are not collected in exactly one hopper/chest/block dispenser).

Following items are needed per pumkin/melon (I don't count fences, water, glass):
2 redstone dust
1 repeater
1 sticky piston
1 detector block

Front:
You can barely see the glass in front of the farm (Battosays texture pack and connected textures).
Spoiler
Show
The hopper to collect the melons and pumpkins:
Spoiler
Show
Wiring:
Spoiler
Show
BTW: I am reading this forum since several month now, but this is my 1st post. I hope someone can use this design and please tell me if you think there is something which can be improoved or there may be problems with the design.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

That's a věry nice design man. I will definitely be using that in my world.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh, wow, you used the DB as the block pushing the melon/pumpkin, and it makes it a compact monostable as well. That's clever :)
Well done !
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I saw something like this around here. I just don´t know where.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

That's an awesome design for pushing the pumkins/melons off. I like it; nice and compact.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

at first i saw only the detector block and thought "but there is nothing to push the melons off into the water" then i saw the pistons behind them and thought "OH MY GOSH YOU CAN DO THAT?" mind = blown

ive played since last august and im still learning new things about this mod every day
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
Yosuke

Post by Yosuke »

ada221 wrote:ive played since last august and im still learning new things about this mod every day
Hehe, I also thought this some weeks ago while watching Battosays Let's Plays. In one of them I saw tables and thought: Tables? When have they been added? I haven't seen them in the Crafting Receipes Page on the vanilla Minecraft Wiki or on the Main Page of the BTW Wiki. After some tries I got to craft one. Afterwards I searched directly in the BTW Wiki and found it also. It looks like it was added really long time ago. I also noticed the alternate receipe for crafting Gears. I always used the much more complicated and far less efficient receipe with the sticks.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Battosay wrote:Oh, wow, you used the DB as the block pushing the melon/pumpkin, and it makes it a compact monostable as well. That's clever :)
Well done !

http://sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4239

;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Yosuke

Post by Yosuke »

Oh, only few weeks ago the behaviour of this construction was different? In your video it reacted as clock. Now (in my farm) it only pushes and retracts once if a block occurs in front of it.

Edit: I checked the change logs. The behaviour changed with version 3.64 released on May 25, 2012. Pretty interresting.
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Small vine farm
Spoiler
Show
Did I mention that it's stackable, too?
Spoiler
Show
Quality comes before quantity.
Six

Post by Six »

Yosuke wrote:Yet another melon/pumpkin farm
Wow, that is great. I'd seen the detector on piston before, but not with the wiring below like that, I love it. I'll be tearing down my setup from the first post in this thread and installing something like yours. Also if you're not aware, having the dirt on either side of the stem like you do should greatly increase the growth rate (probably double what mine was).
Yosuke

Post by Yosuke »

Six wrote:
Wow, that is great. I'd seen the detector on piston before, but not with the wiring below like that, I love it. I'll be tearing down my setup from the first post in this thread and installing something like yours. Also if you're not aware, having the dirt on either side of the stem like you do should greatly increase the growth rate (probably double what mine was).
Of course I thought that the possibility to grow on 2 sides might effect the growth rate, but I think the growth rate will not double (I hope that it is better, but I would not expect more than a 10% improvement - but I don't know the code)
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

bmanfoley wrote:I've loved a lot of the designs in this thread so far, so I thought I'd contribute.

Tried using this, but for some reason the signal doesn't transfer up correctly. The first two torches change, and then the third doesn't respond before the second switches back.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:Tried using this, but for some reason the signal doesn't transfer up correctly. The first two torches change, and then the third doesn't respond before the second switches back.
Did you use the world download? If you just rebuilt it, you may have goofed something up with the pulse lengthening circuit, and I recommend you try the world download. If you were using the world download, then honestly I'm clueless as to why it's not working =/
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

bmanfoley wrote: Did you use the world download? If you just rebuilt it, you may have goofed something up with the pulse lengthening circuit, and I recommend you try the world download. If you were using the world download, then honestly I'm clueless as to why it's not working =/
I downloaded the world now, and it does work. However, mine is build identically and doesn't for some reason. Strange.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

It's been said the redstone is glitchy in creative.....
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Marasambala wrote:It's been said the redstone is glitchy in creative.....
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

It uses a detector block to detect if a melon pumpkin has grown and if so, the signal powers a sticky piston which pushes the detector block and the melon.
The melon gets into a water stream and is collected in one hopper for the complete farm (as I really don't like farms where the things are not collected in exactly one hopper/chest/block dispenser).

Following items are needed per pumkin/melon (I don't count fences, water, glass):
2 redstone dust
1 repeater
1 sticky piston
1 detector block

Front:
You can barely see the glass in front of the farm (Battosays texture pack and connected textures).
Spoiler
Show
The hopper to collect the melons and pumpkins:
Spoiler
Show
Wiring:
Spoiler
Show
BTW: I am reading this forum since several month now, but this is my 1st post. I hope someone can use this design and please tell me if you think there is something which can be improoved or there may be problems with the design.
I just felt I had to post after a couple of ... months? of lurking.

This was exciting to me because I already had a farm like this set up, but manual, so the second I saw the automatic design I had to immediately go hunt down Lapis and make that thing. It works and that's one less lever in my world.

Thanks!
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
Arandia

Post by Arandia »

A Super Trivial Completely Automatic Wheat Farm
Spoiler
Show
The only catch is that you need a lot of bricks...

Grass planter has a chance of creating tall grass. When it does, the light beam is broken and the pistons collect whatever it was on the hoppers. Each hopper will only pass *grass* *seeds* (and not hemp seeds) because the entire damn thing (except for one slot) is filled up with bricks (the BD's and hoppers both). For priming, this requires that each hopper/BD combo has 1 stack + 1 of seeds to start with. All of the BD's run off of a very simple 5-clock; when the wheat is grown they pick it up, plant new wheat, and then spit it forward into a collection trough that you've created.

The other catch is that your seed-creation rate needs to be greater than your seed-consumption rate. Otherwise, your filters will eventually stop working and your garden will grow a few... weeds :-). You may actually need to add a second or third level of grass planters + pistons + lens to achieve this -- I have NOT done the timing analysis yet. Oh, and you will get shitloads of useless flowers too.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

That my friend is genious!!!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Given the growth rate of grass, and the drop rate of seeds from grass, you'd need more than two of three rows of planter to keep up the production of seeds, more like 5 or 10.
But that's an interesting idea :)