Glass jars through extending pottery?

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
echo off

Glass jars through extending pottery?

Post by echo off »

Wouldn't it be cool if you could make a mold out of clay, and fire some sand in that mold to make a glass jar? the glass jar could be used for cooking recipes, or for storage purposes (a glass jar can hold several stacks of seeds or sugar or dusts)
morvelaira

Re: Glass jars through extending pottery?

Post by morvelaira »

This sounds tricky to code for me. It sounds like it could lead to full storage containers (jars) within storage containers (chests). I know many games do not let you do this, and technicalities are often cited as why.

Just my two cents.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
echo off

Post by echo off »

if we have unlimited items as forge should give, couldn't we just be cheap about it? i mean, make a recipe that's 64 seeds and 1 glass jar can make a glass jar with seeds, or sugar, and also be turned back into it's ingredient items?
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

i would change it from your mould to a bellows

the bellows would blow twice on a block of glass that has been in a furnace

that would give you a bottle or tube of some sort

if you blow on it 4 times then you would get a jar

8 times would give you a glass vase

they would all be fired again after blowing

this could be a possible way to get a lens?
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

echo off wrote:if we have unlimited items as forge should give, couldn't we just be cheap about it? i mean, make a recipe that's 64 seeds and 1 glass jar can make a glass jar with seeds, or sugar, and also be turned back into it's ingredient items?
Unlimited Items yes, Unlimited Block ID's no. Now that I've done some study about that myself. While I think things like this would be neat, the questions have to come up,

If FC spends time on this, what could he have spent time on instead?
What game-play mechanics does this bring to the table?
How hard is it to code?

I just don't see anything like this happening.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
echo off

Post by echo off »

careful there rosstafan, we don't want any recipe or game in depth kinds of plans... just floating idea's... brainstorm idea's. in depth explanations might be interpretted as such. but yet, glass blowing instead could work. maybe it even needs a kiln to get the temperature right. and if we're shaping glass, we could look at all applications, such as lenses for telescopes. although maybe it's all still a way off down the tech-tree.
Damion Rayne wrote: Unlimited Items yes, Unlimited Block ID's no.
not all items use a block id... only items that can be placed, and need a physical representation in the world. consider coal, iron ingots, ect. these items don't use up block id's, so can't we make infinite variations of them? (even if we can't make infinite sources {blocks to mine them from}) getting close to coding talk here, sorry.
Damion Rayne wrote: If FC spends time on this, what could he have spent time on instead?
What game-play mechanics does this bring to the table?
How hard is it to code?
1. this thread isn't about what he could do instead. it's about this idea and whether it has any value.
2. it only really brings possibilities for new content in regards to food, fuel and storage. i've found that getting specific on what that content could be is considered supplying 'recipes.' but i can be slightly more specific on storage, in regards to it possibly making some items slightly more realistic and useful, while also adding a new dimension to the potential of 'recipes.' arguably, you mix gunpowder/sulfur and redstone dust in a jar, and that shit sounds dangerous.
3. that really, really depends on how it's implemented. and also how deeply it crosses over with other in game mechanics. i mean, it could be developed alongside some kind of alchemy system, where you can make health potions of of mushrooms and lanterns from glowdust, or just a replacement for buckets, which would mostly be a waste, but could be useful in an iron-poor environment.