Chess

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Eriottosan

Chess

Post by Eriottosan »

Hey, all!

I am used to be a rather avid chess player. Then I got into Shogi about 3 years ago (Japanese chess) and so forgot my chess tactics &c. One of my friends (who has probably got the brightest mind of anyone I know) has never played chess until recently, and so we had a showdown: The retired oldtimer's comeback (me) vs the newbie (him). It ended in stalemate, although I kept forgetting that I couldn't make the pieces I'd taken mine ...

Anyway, I'm now playing chess again, including online, so who here plays chess?
For online chess, I use the top link in my list of sites, as well as the online Shogi site (second link). For both my username is Eriottosan.

Also, as it seems rather pertinent, Chess is also a rather good musical ... :P

Chess and Shogi sites:

www.Chess.com

http://www.playok.com/en/shogi/

www.chessmaniac.com

www.chesscube.com

Eriotto
x
Last edited by Eriottosan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
HavokSCOUT

Re: Chess

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I've never heard of this site, but I love chess, so I've just joined. Havok_SCOUT, if anyone's interested in a match.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

HavokSCOUT wrote:I've never heard of this site, but I love chess, so I've just joined. Havok_SCOUT, if anyone's interested in a match.
Fantastic man, I'll add you now :). I'm Eriottosan on there, as per usual ;).

EDIT: Haven't been able to find you man, I'll try again in a bit :)
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Durn. Needs Java 7, and I want to stay on 6 for modding purposes.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I think I had different versions of Java running on different browsers at one point, though I don't remember how I did it ...
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I enjoy chess, though I usually lose. I may join the site eventually.
And HOW!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:I enjoy chess, though I usually lose. I may join the site eventually.
Haha nothing wrong with losing, how else do you learn? :P

Let me know if you join, man :).
AmRadTheory

Post by AmRadTheory »

just as an aside... Shogi is suuuper fun
I am rad... in theory.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

AmRadTheory wrote:just as an aside... Shogi is suuuper fun
Oh, absolutely! If you can find an online shogi site, I'll gladly give you a game! :)
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Elevatator wrote:This?:http://www.playok.com/en/shogi/
Lovely! I'll pop Chess.com and that shogi one as links in the OP :).
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

Been playing chess for quite some years and am a regular at the local club (I even was at the tournament last weekend). And although I never really got serious about it - I mean it's still a game after all, I won't spend hours over hours to learn the most efficient counter to one specific opening - I dare to say that I'm quite capable. Maybe not at avoiding mistakes, but at abusing the opponent's mistakes and the psychological warfare behind it.
I have heard quite a bit about shogi (and other "chess variants"), it seems quite interesting but I didn't ever get to play it.
As for online play, I haven't ever been to any of the mentioned sites. I use chessmaniac.com for correspondence and chesscube.com for live games.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
StormBeforeDawn

Post by StormBeforeDawn »

I guess I consider myself alright at the game. If you ever see me on irc give me a shout and I'll play a game or two.
~Storm
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I play chess often enough, not really on the website, although I did sign up and play a few matches. Got about a 1500 rating for a while before I slacked off... I think my ID was camerinthus over there too, if not I'll make one. :) Will have more time for chess once finals are over.
IGN: Camerinthus
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Fun story: My store manager used to take all comers at chess at the store, and was undefeated. I'm not particularly good at chess, but I'm pretty good at games in general and at picking up new systems, so I thought what the hell. He beat me the first game, which just hooked me. I studied chess strategies for a week, and then challenged him again. I broke his winning streak. I then beat him several more times. I'm fairly sure this is how I got past my 90-day evaluation with a job still; He wasn't going to fire me until he took back the store championship. He hasn't beaten me or fired me yet.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Jay42 wrote:Been playing chess for quite some years and am a regular at the local club (I even was at the tournament last weekend). And although I never really got serious about it - I mean it's still a game after all, I won't spend hours over hours to learn the most efficient counter to one specific opening - I dare to say that I'm quite capable. Maybe not at avoiding mistakes, but at abusing the opponent's mistakes and the psychological warfare behind it.
I have heard quite a bit about shogi (and other "chess variants"), it seems quite interesting but I didn't ever get to play it.
As for online play, I haven't ever been to any of the mentioned sites. I use chessmaniac.com for correspondence and chesscube.com for live games.
Haha yeah, I was never one for learning the specifics, either. I find it's more fun (and, indeed, harder to be counteracted) to develop your own style through trial and error than to adhere to any set out move set.
I've updated the OP to include the two sites you use. At some point I will sign up to them. Should I post a list of people's usernames on the OP for each site, too?
StormBeforeDawn wrote:I guess I consider myself alright at the game. If you ever see me on irc give me a shout and I'll play a game or two.
I've never tried the IRC ... I keep meaning to, but I've never been sure what it is. Read a thread earlier though, with someone who had the exact same avoidance, so I'll get myself over there some point soon. :).

Camerinthus wrote:I play chess often enough, not really on the website, although I did sign up and play a few matches. Got about a 1500 rating for a while before I slacked off... I think my ID was camerinthus over there too, if not I'll make one. :) Will have more time for chess once finals are over.
I've added someone by that username ... whether it's you or not, only time will tell! Yeah, I know what you mean, I have exams now too :P.

TheAnarchitect wrote:Fun story: My store manager used to take all comers at chess at the store, and was undefeated. I'm not particularly good at chess, but I'm pretty good at games in general and at picking up new systems, so I thought what the hell. He beat me the first game, which just hooked me. I studied chess strategies for a week, and then challenged him again. I broke his winning streak. I then beat him several more times. I'm fairly sure this is how I got past my 90-day evaluation with a job still; He wasn't going to fire me until he took back the store championship. He hasn't beaten me or fired me yet.
That is probably the best chess story I have ever heard in my life! Sounds like you've got one of those minds that adapts to what it needs to do, Anarachitect! I bet you'd pick up Shogi just as easily!
Keeping your job through chess - I love it! ;).
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I've been playing chess since age five. Probably the first and only thing my dad ever taught me to do. :D

So....Challenge accepted!

Username: TaterBoy84

Also, as mentioned by a few people above, if you see me on the IRC, don't be shy...Ask me for a game.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

TaterBoy, which site is that on?
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Got reminded to this intro:

I have nearly never skipped the intro, because it was so awesome.
Maybe I will take a look on this shogi thing.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Elevatator wrote:<snip>

That is actually awesome haha! I never realised they released AoE II though *hides in corner* :P.

Ah, nice, if you do decide to give it a go, try not to think of it as Japanese Chess ... It's a lot easier to get to terms with if you approach it as a game in its own right.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

I play Go, but I haven't played nearly enough to be any good....at all.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Eriottosan wrote:That is actually awesome haha! I never realised they released AoE II though *hides in corner* :P.
Wait, what?

You mean you thought it was only a single game? For education purposes, here's the list of AoE games:

AoE I
AoE I: Rise of Rome
AoE II: Age of Kings
AoE II: The Conquerors
AoE III
AoE III: The WarChiefs
AoE III: The Asian Dynasties
AoE Online

Spin-offs: Age of Mythology, Age of Mythology: The Titans
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Gilberreke wrote: Wait, what?

You mean you thought it was only a single game? For education purposes, here's the list of AoE games:

AoE I
AoE I: Rise of Rome
AoE II: Age of Kings
AoE II: The Conquerors
AoE III
AoE III: The WarChiefs
AoE III: The Asian Dynasties
AoE Online

Spin-offs: Age of Mythology, Age of Mythology: The Titans
I believe I mentioned elsewhere that I am a terrible excuse for a gamer ...
I have, and occasionally play, AoE I and AoM: TT ... I didn't realise that the other existed ...
:P
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I played that game obsessively as a kid. in fact... I think I will go play it again for a few hours.
And HOW!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Thanks guys, now I want to go home and dig up my aoe2 install. Wasted countless hours in college playing that on a dorm LAN.

On topic, I never got into chess mostly due to nobody to play with. I may get on occasionally.