Long Distance Horizontal Water System

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Xecaquan

Long Distance Horizontal Water System

Post by Xecaquan »

I haven't seen anyone post one. I needed a system to move items from my mob trap tower to my already existing filter system. However, I didn't want to either lose the lower levels of the trap nor have the hassle of a tiered water system. So I came up with this, the whole system is 12 wide by 3 high as I wanted it as flat as possible. Also if you don't have a lot of dispenser blocks you could use pistons, I just find them too noisy:
Spoiler
Show
Overview from the source of your system

One of the water-gates used to push the items downstream (open)

One of the water-gates closed to allow items to flow past

This prototype is 34 blocks long and took the items 1 min 20 secs to travel, so I am assuming at around 70-80 blocks I'll need to insert a hopper to reset the decay timer. For me that is just about the distance I need to move items, other wise one would need to use a hopper with a lift system like the Archimedes' screw, to level it back out.

I found the timing required the signal to start at the destination, and here are the timing that is exactly the same for each gate.
Spoiler
Show
Not sure if anyone will find this useful, also if you see any improvements let me know as I'll be moving the system in place later today unless Flower comes out with an update :)
Camerinthus

Re: Long Distance Horizontal Water System

Post by Camerinthus »

Sweet idea and implementation, I like it :).
IGN: Camerinthus
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Looks great. Am I right to assume you could expand this a little and send items in both directions with this?
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Sending items both directions would require a second channel. If you used the same channel there is just not enough time to travel far before your items decay, plus the timing because even more of an issue.

I have a turntable on the slowest setting (which is what 12 seconds?)

The main channel is divided in to 5 block lengths, water enters the channel from the side (originally I had it entering from above but the BDs were powering each other) and drives the items towards the end of the channel length.

For 3 seconds in each cycle the side channel is closed and the channel preceding it is open to drive items in to. This gives just enough time for any water shifts and for the items to make it just past the section divider.

The timing of neighboring sections need to have the preceding sections to be slower, if not the two water ways neutralize and the items don't move.

Also found the BD on the side water source needed to be slightly slower than the BD that divided the same section.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

For serious long-distance versions you could probably add a lift->hopper system every so many repetitions in order to reset the item decay.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.