BTW: The gothic age

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

BTW: The gothic age

Post by Gilberreke »

I've finally worked out a few details of my BTW add-on mod. I think I've found a good direction that adds fun to BTW and probably isn't anywhere near to what FC is planning to do. My idea is to add a Gothic age. Let me explain.

I'll start with the final part of the mod and why I'm not starting with it. My idea is to have a craftable, placeable spawner block, which uses souls as a fuel. Souls are gotten from soulsand and the general theme of it is Victorian/Gothic (think Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hide, Edgar Allan Poe). You do dubious things that eventually result in being able to create life. The reason I don't do this first, is because of the upcoming persistent mobs. That feature will really shape the way this block would work, so I pushed it back as the final feature, which works out great thematically too.

So what will I do first? The answer came to me just now on IRC, talking to Eloraam. I'm starting with a new energy form. Nothing as complex as mechanical power though. The first block I'll be creating is a lightning rod. On its own, this works as fire prevention, no longer will your house be on fire due to lightning. The lightning itself will be used as a burst of energy to kickstart your machine. Instead of hating rain, you'll actually be waiting for it.

Keep the discussion on these two things and if it's a theme you see being fun to play with on top of BTW. I can use some small feature suggestions, but don't go overboard.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gdnite

Re: BTW: The gothic age

Post by Gdnite »

I like the idea of a new system, and that you want to do this mod. But you have to make sure that the spawner creation isnt OP. Also I like the idea of the Gothic era as its a very "magical" time.

And I have a suggestion why don't you add more aesthetic blocks to BTW? more uses to the systems we have already that flower might not add.

(edit) Since the gothic era is known for its unique architecture.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

The architecture you're thinking of is actually Neo-Gothic (late 1800's), but I'm not one to split hairs.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this one turns out. I await in my goggles and labcoat, ready to perform all sorts of arcane and abominable acts!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Gdnite wrote:you have to make sure that the spawner creation isnt OP.
Yeah, since it's at the end of the small tech tree I'm planning on and since it consumes fuel, it'd be pretty balanced. Imagine getting about 1 soul for 2 blocks of soulsand, that'd mean if you use it as a mob spawner, you'd have to dig two stacks of soulsand for each stack of dropped items. It's not going to be OP :)
Gdnite wrote:Also I like the idea of the Gothic era as its a very "magical" time.
Exactly, as FC indicated in the interview, he isn't really interested in MC's fantasy aspect, so I can go the extra mile there.
Triskelli wrote:
Gdnite wrote:And I have a suggestion why don't you add more aesthetic blocks to BTW? more uses to the systems we have already that flower might not add.

(edit) Since the gothic era is known for its unique architecture.
The architecture you're thinking of is actually Neo-Gothic (late 1800's), but I'm not one to split hairs.
Yeah, neo-gothic is a little later in history and not really what I'm looking for, but I might consider some small decorative items here and there.
Triskelli wrote:Anyway, I can't wait to see how this one turns out. I await in my goggles and labcoat, ready to perform all sorts of arcane and abominable acts!
Welcome, to the world of tommorow *evil cackle*
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

You know a mod is getting huge when you start seeing mods for the mod.

I was gonna comment on the potential OPness of the spawner but reading the details, it seems you were extra cautious with the balance. Apart from that, I can only say this: interesting theme and looking forward to see how it grows.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Are you sure this wouldn't be a stand alone mod? It definitely sounds cool, but by add-on mod, I figured it would incorporate more mechanically powered blocks, more energy transmission options, etc.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I like the idea of add-on mods for BTW; so long as they're dependant on BTW, you can avoid the hordes screaming 'want laz0rs pl0x' on the MC forums, while having a stable target audience who you can work with for feature ideas etc.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

BinoAl wrote:Are you sure this wouldn't be a stand alone mod? It definitely sounds cool, but by add-on mod, I figured it would incorporate more mechanically powered blocks, more energy transmission options, etc.
Yes, there will be mechanically powered blocks in it most likely and recipes requiring hemp and whatnot.
Stormweaver wrote:I like the idea of add-on mods for BTW; so long as they're dependant on BTW, you can avoid the hordes screaming 'want laz0rs pl0x' on the MC forums, while having a stable target audience who you can work with for feature ideas etc.
I'm still debating whether I will actually provide a MC forum thread. I might just make this a BTW forum thing :)
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Sorry I'm not more up to date on my architectural eras =D. I'll look forward to what you create and I do like the whole magical aspect of it. Adds some more of the random fun stuff everyone loves. I wish you the best of luck and I can't wait to see what you make.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Gilberreke wrote:I'm still debating whether I will actually provide a MC forum thread. I might just make this a BTW forum thing :)

I say BTW only, one degree further from the MOAR LAZZZARS tards.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Though by all means, if you wish to add lasers do so.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I'm still debating whether I will actually provide a MC forum thread. I might just make this a BTW forum thing :)
Sorry man, but I'd really prefer you create your own thread/forum for something like this.

If you effectively put a second mod on this forum, it's bound to create confusion that I would prefer to avoid.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sorry man, but I'd really prefer you create your own thread/forum for something like this.

If you effectively put a second mod on this forum, it's bound to create confusion that I would prefer to avoid.
Yeah, sure, got it :)