Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
embirrim

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by embirrim »

Battosay wrote: Say what ?!
That's the hardest thing to farm, the one that will take the most room, and the slowest.
Are you crazy ?
Even Hemp is a joke compared to wheat. Looks like you never really had to farm masive amount of wheat ;)
I always laugh when you talk about wheat farming. How do you have the patience to build something so big xD
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

I third that, the wheat farm was a B$%ch to build. Looks great and all, but there is nothing easy about it.
If it can't be built, FlowerChild just hasn't thought of it yet. ;)
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Dry Paratroopa wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I think this might be the result of what I was saying about gold being farmable in an automated fashion. Bread is actually much more difficult to produce automatically in vanilla than gold is.
And wheat is one of the simplest auto-farms with Better Than Wolves, so I say this to the villagers: Suckers.

Although, those test results are rather shocking considering that I'm pretty sure all villages have at least one wheat farm, so they are in no shortage of food. Again: Suckers.
well, they ARE testificates, the creatures that was less intelligent than zombies for a good few patches, and, judging by how many try to fit into a 3*3 floorspace when they finally realized how to use a house, they mentally skipped a few branches of the tech tree and went straight for TARDISes.
(I mean, come on, they build houses with the only entrance on the FIRST FLOOR)
Urian

Post by Urian »

A step in the right direction: Jeb has removed emerald ore so the only way to get it now is through trading.

Source 1
Source 2
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Urian wrote:A step in the right direction: Jeb has removed emerald ore so the only way to get it now is through trading.

Source 1
Source 2
To be completely honest, I am surprised that he got rid of it, not making it even more common.
Finally some good news though. :)
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Urian wrote:A step in the right direction: Jeb has removed emerald ore so the only way to get it now is through trading.

Source 1
Source 2
damn, he's got it the wrong way round.
he should make the ore the ONLY way of getting emeralds, that way, we can have a de-facto currency for servers that actually has value, and doesn't raise question on how the testificates are getting infinite emeralds.

it would work so much better by removing selling items, and making it so that it's actually exciting to find them

*finds emerald ore*
now: whoo, not like I don't have tons of these already...
if testificates giving away emeralds is removed: WHOO! FREE ITEM OF MY CHOICE!
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'm actually not that bothered by trading now since you can't mine emeralds. IMO it can be looked in two ways, either A) from a vMC point of view or B) a BTW point of view.

If A: There are very few ways to automate the process of getting materials to sell besides mob traps which themselves are a way of mass producing limited resources (limited by difficulty of obtaining them that is, not by availability) so the top grade items you'd want will probably require a ton of work to get compared to just digging them up from the ground. Also, it might help introduce more players to automation :p

If B: The few items from vMC that are a kind of bottle neck for BTW (mossy cobble, lapis and diamonds (for lenses)) can't be bought and it's probably both faster and easier to get to steel than to get the blacksmith to sell diamond gear anyway.

Besides, we can buy glass! :D I'm still holding out hope that BTW will at some point include a way to e.g. turn cobble into gravel (for sand and sandstone) but for now at least one material I like building with in huge quantities will be more easily available if I spawn far from a desert.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Spoiler
Show
well now we know there's an emerald block at least (and it looks pretty good as well, I wish diamonds were like that instead of the plain light blue block)

also, tripwires, not like we couldn't already do this with lenses, but hey, it's less noticable than a floodlight in a cramped area (and the anarchy players rejoiced)
Spoiler
Show
according to dinnerbone, "shears will become an important part of the griefer's toolbox"
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Where on earth did you get that picture of the tripwire?
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Dinnerbone's Twitter.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Calcifire3691 wrote: also, tripwires, not like we couldn't already do this with lenses, but hey, it's less noticable than a floodlight in a cramped area (and the anarchy players rejoiced)
Spoiler
Show
according to dinnerbone, "shears will become an important part of the griefer's toolbox"
Thats pretty damn cool.
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

But does it need to be reset each time? The lens is cool cause it works over and over with no reset required.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Yamboyz1 wrote:Where on earth did you get that picture of the tripwire?
Dinnerbone's Twitter. I have no clue how to link to certain tweets, but I leave you this link: http://twitter.com/#!/dinnerbone
Also, apparently the tripwire trigger will be a new block, but the tripwire itself will just be string, which will be placeable now. Lots of possibilities with that, like fuses or bread crumb trail type thingies.
Again, I get worried that Mojang is taking the whole "satisfy the toddlers with new features" thing way too far. 1.3 was supposed to be the update that gave us the API/extended block IDs, but in a few short weeks it has seemed to become one of the most content(?) packed updates in a while. And yes, that question mark was necessary.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Dinnerbone just posted a youtube video of the tripwire in action.

Looks pretty slick, the shears can be used to defuse the wire. Breaking by hand sets it off.
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

Is this a mod/addon? Jeb usually tweets his own pictures.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

fallendice wrote:Is this a mod/addon? Jeb usually tweets his own pictures.
Dinnerbone is one of the guys from the bukkit team, and the most active one on twitter with regards to minecraft developments. All four members of bukkit were all hired by mojang about 3 or 4 months ago. So the tripwire will be officially part of the game.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

fallendice wrote:Is this a mod/addon? Jeb usually tweets his own pictures.
Jeb? There is no way in hell that i see Jeb coming up with this.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

To link to a specific tweet (from someone's main Twitter page), you need to click "Expand", then click on "Details", which will send you to the tweet's page.

That is a neat idea, though. If you use it in a dark room, it could be very hard to see that there is any danger until the person steps on the string.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

Sigh, like Vechs needs any more tools to kill us in his maps. He's probably laughing his evil laugh right now.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Katalliaan wrote:To link to a specific tweet (from someone's main Twitter page), you need to click "Expand", then click on "Details", which will send you to the tweet's page.

That is a neat idea, though. If you use it in a dark room, it could be very hard to see that there is any danger until the person steps on the string.
let's not also forget the implications about the ability to place string as well, maybe we can add fuses to TNT for delayed/remote detonations (without wasting redstone)
fallendice wrote:Sigh, like Vechs needs any more tools to kill us in his maps. He's probably laughing his evil laugh right now.
if you fall for this, you deserve it, if you're not watching the floor with the detail that only OCD sufferers posess, you're doing it wrong :P
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

Not at all, I see him placing theses in his large cavernous dark rooms to counter the khamakazi torch runs, lol. You know he'll think of the most evil ways to use it.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

fallendice wrote:Not at all, I see him placing theses in his large cavernous dark rooms to counter the khamakazi torch runs, lol. You know he'll think of the most evil ways to use it.
No, he'll put it after those, in the treasure room where you're worn out and glad you beat the challenge to claim your... FUUUUU
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Trip wire: very cool! This is one of the first technical features we've gotten in quite awhile out of vanilla. Looks kinda like a low-tech version of the Lens, which should actually fit in pretty good with the tech tree. Oddly, I was considering a similar design at one point.

Removing Emerald Ore: Lol! Ok, perhaps the right decision, but for the wrong reasons. He can't stand leaving a feature in, not because he doesn't like it, but he doesn't like all the negative feedback? Pfffft...'Populism' strikes again :)

Anyways, it does surprise me either way. I never expected them to make changes like that to a pre-release. Usually, stuff goes in, but never comes out :)
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

SgtChuckle wrote:
fallendice wrote:Not at all, I see him placing theses in his large cavernous dark rooms to counter the khamakazi torch runs, lol. You know he'll think of the most evil ways to use it.
No, he'll put it after those, in the treasure room where you're worn out and glad you beat the challenge to claim your... FUUUUU
one of the thing's I'm waiting for (in vMC) is a chest that releases a redstone signal when opened, imagine the possibilities for SMP and adventure maps :D
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Calcifire3691 wrote:
SgtChuckle wrote:
one of the thing's I'm waiting for (in vMC) is a chest that releases a redstone signal when opened, imagine the possibilities for SMP and adventure maps :D
It's called a Buddy Block.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/