Fast building with Cement Buckets - what have you done?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rasuth

Fast building with Cement Buckets - what have you done?

Post by Rasuth »

Hey Guys and Girls,

as I just could'nt be bothered to smelt hundreds of Cobble to Smoothstone, I thougt, why not build my Lighttower with concrete.
For a 5x5 Ring, that is 15 Blocks high (thats like 325 blocks) you only need 6 Buckets of Cement, some solid blocks (I used dirt) for a frame and optionally some redstone stuff to synchronize the "solidification" of the cement.

It's pretty easy actually:

You start by building a frame on the ground: 2 isocentric rings, one 7x7, the other 3x3. If you don't want to use redstone, better build the rings 2-3 blocks high.

Code: Select all

#######
#*****#
#*###*#
#*#'#*#
#*###*#
#*****#
#######
# = Solid Blocks
* = air (this is where the cement will run to) 
' = Block for going up( ladder, sand, what have you) 
After the frame on the ground is finished you want to go up by 15 blocks (cement travels like 16 blocks, remember?) and build another frame like the above.

#######
#*+**+#
#+###*#
#*#'#*#
#+###+#
#**+**#
#######
# = Solid Blocks
* = air (this is where the cement will run to) 
' = Block for going up( ladder, sand, what have you) 
+ = pour cement here. 
redstone sync-ing
Show
Extend the outer ring by another block and wire the cement sources with redstone before pouring the cement, like this

----!----
-##-##-#-
-#*+**+#-
--+###*#-
-#*#'#*#-
--+###+--
##**+**##
####-####
####!####

- = redstone on dirt
! = redstone torch
Once all cement sources are placed you can simply remove the redstone torches and all your cement blocks should solidify without going over a 1 block high frame at the ground level.
You now have a new floor and can repeat the process as often as you like or until you hit the sky limit of 128 Blocks in height. Remove the frame blocks, decorate the enterior and enjoy.

So what did YOU use cement for? I'm curious to hear.

PS: I'm still looking for a way to make longer walls with one bucket.. I think one would have to sacrifice 1 Block in height to increase the lenght of the wall by 2. But I think you'd still have to fill gaps by hand or hope that the pouring of the next segment will fill the gaps.

PPS:My computer isn't really capable of frapsing, maybe someone can rebuild my setup and put out a nice little video of how to use this little puppy.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Kwilt

Re: Fast building with Cement Buckets - what have you done?

Post by Kwilt »

Well, I took a copy of one of the older maps we have here for the castle, and I just greifed the hell out of everything. Turned our small lake with the waterfall into stone, turned part of the cobble generator into stone, covered both the lighthouses in stone, et cetera.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Gdnite

Re: Fast building with Cement Buckets - what have you done?

Post by Gdnite »

I actually use wood for my cement framing. Then I just burn it away =D. Ive built large parts of my castle with it.