automated tree harvester

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
CycloneSP

automated tree harvester

Post by CycloneSP »

Hey all!, I finally decided to make my way over to the official forums after lurking around FC's BTW thread in the minecraft forums.

As the title suggests, I'm currently having troubles making an automated tree harvester. I've watched battosay's vids, but he doesn't explain how to put em together, so I tried to just replicate what I saw, and am failing miserably. Here is a pic of what I have so far.
Spoiler
Show
as you can see, I have some logs up front with a BD to the side. Behind the logs are more BD's and restone to trigger them simultaneously. But at present, I can't get the detector block to automatically harvest the tree. Either it sits there and does nothing, or if I invert the signal, it constanly pulses. Any idea what I"m doing wrong?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
morvelaira

Re: automated tree harvester

Post by morvelaira »

Welcome to the real forums, man.

For the love of god, put images in spoilers! xD
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

Yes. You're not supposed to use BDs to suck up the wood, you're supposed to use saws to cut it. All of the drops will be picked up by the BD at the bottom, and the DB's only purpose is to activate the BD. Remember to keep spare saplings in the first slot to plant another tree when the BD deactivates.
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Welcome, man! Now all we need is to get Jedi over here and we have pretty much the whole BTW community on the forum. Also, about your wiring, everything seems right, except for the fact that you should be using saws to cut the tree and the BD to pick them up.
Edit: ninjas. They're everywhere.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Are you trying to use Block Dispensers or Block Detectors to move/cut the logs?

I believe having the signal from the detector block leading into a monostable circuit (to send a short pulse from a long signal) will allow the Block Dispenser to pick up the logs from the tree.

Then just lead this signal back (with around 4 repeaters at full delay) leading to a torch underneath the Block Dispenser which has saplings in.. I'm not sure if it would grow though, as this is the design used in Battosay's Let's Play for Blood Wood trees, and I believe they take less space to grow.

This can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJcvkxCeuA
at around 20:30
Video embed here
Show
Good luck :)

-Double ninja'd.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Thanks guys, and sorry bout the image. Didn't know it would turn out so big in these forums.(it was smaller in the BTW thread)

And, I like/understand why you would use saws to harvest trees, but what if I wanted the wood blocks themselves for aesthetic purposes? Maybe I should just travel 30 minutes out and deforest an oak forest I'm never really gonna visit again.(tree capitator ftw)

Okay, with the design presented, if I replace the block detector with a button, the machine works perfectly. No hitches, glitches or what have you. But if I try to automate it with some kind of detector(buddy or block detector) it screws up.

Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Could you maybe post the World Download, or some more screenshots of your wiring and setup (in spoilers) so that we can take a closer look?
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Could be the detector block produces a constant signal when it sees something. If you insert a mono-stable circuit in between the detector block and the block dispensers, you'll get a button-like pulse which should make it work properly.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

sure, what website do you suggest I use for uploading it?

EDIT: nvm, I'll just use media fire. it's uploading atm.

Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

World Download people generally use Mediafire
Images I personally like to host on www.imgur.com
Just for future reference :)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Yeah, kinda figured as much.

Why does it still say it is "queued"? It hasn't even started uploading...

Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Try cancelling it and uploading it again. Mine sometimes throws that at me.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Okay, well, while I wait for this to upload, can any care to explain why redneck fishing isn't working for me? I have BTW 3.62 installed.

Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

I would, however it also isn't working for me =P I've tried it in rivers, oceans, and puddles!
Could possibly be conflict with any other mods
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

CycloneSP wrote:Okay, well, while I wait for this to upload, can any care to explain why redneck fishing isn't working for me? I have BTW 3.62 installed.
Do you have a flint and steel on your hot bar when you throw the dynamite? How big an area of water are you throwing the dynamite into. More information, honey. :)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Okay, here's the rundown:

pond is in the desert. pond is about 4-5 blocks wide and 6-9 blocks long and at most 3 blocks deep. I lob a dynamite into the center at the deepest point and the dynamite does explode. Yet no fish result.

PS: also, mediafire seems to prefer zipped folders....

EDIT: Okay folks, here is the world download.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ehk8qrr507ejz63

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Initial rememberances and a little bit of searching of the 3.61 thread tells me you probably want to have a much bigger pool of water. I don't know for certain, though.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

One thing : monostable circuits ;)
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redst ... e_circuits

Spoiler
Show
Looks like that :
(from left ot right)
Two orange blocks, one repeater (4th notch) between them, a torch one the side of the first one, a redstone line from that torch going above the 2nd orange block. A torch on that 2nd block.
You get a pulse at the blue wool (ouput), and you send your detector signal from the pink wool (input)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Thanks Battosay! I know it was mentioned before, but I hate technical explanations.(in an attempt to sound smart/cover all areas, it makes it hard to understand) So I appreciate the simple explanation. Two questions: 1) did you design that image as an or gate as well?(you have 2 pink inputs) and 2) could you tell me 'why' it works? I like understanding why things work when I use them.

Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Cyclone, The input to the first torch turns the torch to OFF, which instantly changes the second torch to ON (via the redstone wire). Then, with a 4 tick delay from the repeater, the second torch is turned OFF again (as it is powered again from the repeater).

At least... I think that's how it works.

Edit; here's your world download with a monostable circuit attached. The 2 cobblestone above the DB are to prevent wires from crossing.
You can, of course, move this to make it prettier =P Just try and keep the same design.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c60zm02kzrg56a9
I tested the tree farm and it worked :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

The 2 pink are to show you that you can input from different sides (you can even have the dust on top of the 1st orange wool from the left)
What happen is that, when you power pink with, let's say a lever, the torch on the 1st orange wool (still from left to right) gets unpowered. So the redstone line next to it turns Off, which turns On the torch on the second orange block. The dust on top of blue turns On (your output signal).
4 ticks latter, the delayer turns On, powered the output torch, turning the signal on blue Off.
You had a "strong" signal from the lever, you get a pulse at the output.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

okay, thanks for all the help guys. I'll start working on it in a bit. Thanks again!

Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

You're welcome, and good luck :)