Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Husbag3

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by Husbag3 »

I'd say that the BD shouldn't be allowed to suck in the ender chest or make it destroy the contents.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hm... Perhaps...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I can't put in options for each of these things guys as it quickly becomes unmanageable to test, maintain and support.

This is an overall design trend we're talking about, not just an isolated feature like the particulars of how water works. I think we can safely say that this won't be the end of it, and I really can't be putting an option into the game every time Jeb has a bad idea.

Anyways, as I've been saying: I have it covered. This isn't really news to me. It may have happened faster than I was expecting, because I didn't realize new gameplay content was going to keep being added at the same time as all these architectural changes were happening, and I may not have known the precise form it would take, but I was already anticipating this trend and making plans for isolating the mod's design.

EDIT: I'm very tempted to say more at this point, but will give a very small spoiler instead: for those in doubt, I was waving goodbye in that vid ;)
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:I can't put in options for each of these things guys as it quickly becomes unmanageable to test, maintain and support.

This is an overall design trend we're talking about, not just an isolated feature like the particulars of how water works. I think we can safely say that this won't be the end of it, and I really can't be putting an option into the game every time Jeb has a bad idea.

Anyways, as I've been saying: I have it covered. This isn't really news to me. It may have happened faster than I was expecting, because I didn't realize new gameplay content was going to keep being added at the same time as all these architectural changes were happening, and I may not have known the precise form it would take, but I was already anticipating this trend and making plans for isolating the mod's design.
Out of curiosity, around what point did you start to get this impression?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Out of curiosity, around what point did you start to get this impression?
It goes back to that tweet from Jeb I keep mentioning about him being a fan of populism in game design. I think that was before he even took over, so when Notch announced that he had, that's when the "oh oh" occurred and plans started to be hatched.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yeah I'm pretty sure you got it covered, I'm just worried about what this will mean for my world :P

The direction minecraft is taking is sad indeed. Everything else up to this point has been tolerable, just silly but not annoying, or even interesting, but this is game breaking. I really did not want to be a pessimist and had hope it would be a balanced mechanic, but apparently it won't be anywhere near the concept of balance. Even my gf, who has a very casual, to put it mildly, relationship with mc has a bit horrified when I showed her this change today..
Last edited by MoRmEnGiL on Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Uhhm, have you ever played EE dear Morv? There is absolutely no way you can play that mod and have fun, unless you enjoy playing in creative mode. Playing, not testing, messing around, or doing challenge maps.
*sniff* I enjoyed it with the Feed the Beast maps. Maybe because it was all so new to me.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: EDIT: I'm very tempted to say more at this point, but will give a very small spoiler instead: for those in doubt, I was waving goodbye in that vid ;)
Everything you say is consistent with a new dimension. The only thing that makes me question that is what about the nether?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

morvelaira wrote: *sniff* I enjoyed it with the Feed the Beast maps. Maybe because it was all so new to me.

Yeah, I enjoyed it too, and it wasn't a feed the beast map, it was a normal playing map. Then after I made all the power items and had all the EMC I could possibly want, I never fired that world up again. There was no point at all to even pretend there was something interesting to do.
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure you got it covered, I'm just worried about what this will mean for my world :P
As always man, I am committed to not fucking with people's worlds. That has always been a consistent design-philosophy behind the mod, and that's never going to change.

Again, that's what's stopping me from going the TC route, and believe me, that would be a MUCH simpler solution to this problem.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

morvelaira wrote:*sniff* I enjoyed it with the Feed the Beast maps. Maybe because it was all so new to me.
Don't worry, Morv. I have that same feeling, too.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Sarudak wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: EDIT: I'm very tempted to say more at this point, but will give a very small spoiler instead: for those in doubt, I was waving goodbye in that vid ;)
Everything you say is consistent with a new dimension. The only thing that makes me question that is what about the nether?
It will be replaced by the mother, and placenta will be everywhere!

OT: I am saddened by these changes, but hopefully there is a large number of people who agree with us, so Jeb's populism approach may work against his new features if there is enough of a backlash.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think the Btw community is somewhat of a minority... Or at least sounds that way among all the screaming 12 year olds...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:EDIT: I'm very tempted to say more at this point, but will give a very small spoiler instead: for those in doubt, I was waving goodbye in that vid ;)
I know you were, which is why I said I was afraid for my world :P

I mean why even bother playing now and spend hours building stuff if I have to leave everything behind in the future..

EDIT: But this is getting out of hand, I do NOT want to force spoilers. I just <3 my world :P

EDIT2: I'm not forgetting your principle of not messing with people's worlds, I'm just an OCD guy and I'm afraid what the changes will make me have to do :P Nothing to worry about, I'll figure stuff out :]

EDIT3: Ok seriously, let's stop before Fc can't hold it in and spills the beans :P
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I think the Btw community is somewhat of a minority... Or at least sounds that way among all the screaming 12 year olds...
Yeah, I agree. When you look at the other mods out there which likely have communities on the scale of this one has, do you see them flipping out over any of this stuff?

Most of these other mods are all about more power for the player, so these changes are in line with their design philosophy.

And keep in mind that those that do play mods are probably in the minority of total MC players to begin with.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: I mean why even bother playing now and spend hours building stuff if I have to leave everything behind in the future..
Don't worry Morm. Without saying anything further, I'll tell you that your fears are unfounded. That's not something I want to do to people either.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: EDIT3: Ok seriously, let's stop before Fc can't hold it in and spills the beans :P
Why wouldn't we want that????
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Why wouldn't we want that????
Your lips say "yes! yes!", but your eyes say "no! no!" :)

And btw, I dropped a hint *somewhere* out there to lighten the mood on this dark day ;)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

The dispenser changes are wank. I wish they'd just add some new damn blocks in the game instead of modifying behavior of existing ones continuously...

And what ever happened to the idea of goblin villages attacking your base? Instead we've got a bunch of crazy traders that consume a resource that's useless in every other way (emeralds).

Battle Axe, say hello to Testificate.
Lava, say hello to Emerald.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote:But yeah. Just means you need to get cracking on your own games, I suppose. *once again offers QA and project management experience*
Yeah, it's certainly pushing me that way to be sure. Still thinking on it.

Elrond: The Fail cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin by any craft that we here possess. The Fail was made in the fires of Mount OP. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into a new balanced game and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came.

< Fail whispers: Ash Nazg >

Elrond: Flowerchild, you MUST do this.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well I always had faith in you, but seeing this particular point confirmed is a relief. :]
War..
War never changes.

Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

FlowerChild wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote: I mean why even bother playing now and spend hours building stuff if I have to leave everything behind in the future..
Don't worry Morm. Without saying anything further, I'll tell you that your fears are unfounded. That's not something I want to do to people either.
Thanks! I appreciate you sharing this small detail. Without any further information, I have to say my enthusiasm for this secret feature, whatever it may be has never been higher. It's the main reason I'm looking forward to 1.3.

I really want to know what that device does! :-)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Well I always had faith in you, but seeing this particular point confirmed is a relief. :]
Yeah, I can understand your concern, as it was one I had myself and had to do a lot of thinking about. Remember man, my own world is "my precious", so these kinds of things are always on my mind ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

* Pulls trigger. Brains splatter on the wall *

Ah, dammit! I forgot I had killed myself before.... Can't do it again.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Ulfengaard wrote: Elrond: The Fail cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin by any craft that we here possess. The Fail was made in the fires of Mount OP. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into a new balanced game and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came.

< Fail whispers: Ash Nazg >

Elrond: Flowerchild, you MUST do this.
You just made my inner Tolkein geek squee so hard. And I needed the laugh to boot.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.