Need help with big decision

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
morvelaira

Need help with big decision

Post by morvelaira »

So, most of you know, or have guessed by now, that I adore black kitties. This is because of my sweetheart of a cat, Puddin' Head. This cat (along with a pack of other strays) adopted my family nearly 15 years ago. We kept him in particular because of his sweet disposition, and because he was leaps and bounds ahead of the others in mental prowess. This cat slept in my bed with me for a decade - the sum total of my teenage years and beyond, and I swear for many of those years and I swear he thought he was my boyfriend.

And now the vet has called to tell me that he is in the late stages of kidney failure.

I mean, I'm not surprised. 15 years is a long time for a cat to grace this earth, and who knows how old he was when he adopted us? I'm just left with what feels like the agonizing decision between making him as comfortable as possible, or just ending things and letting him rest now. Either choice is just making me cry and I don't know what to do.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Need help with big decision

Post by FlowerChild »

:(

A tough decision to be sure, but one I think that has to come down to whether the animal is suffering or still enjoying life.

I think that when the time comes, helping a pet move along is one of the greatest acts of love and signs of moral courage that we can exercise.

Anyways, hugs to you Morv. I know it can't be easy.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

My best advice (and I speak from a great deal of experience) is to prepare and watch him. He will know when it's time. Animals always do. And, if he seems that way already, then it's time to let him do what he needs to do. The best kitties know what's right for everyone involved, including their owners, and they'll try to remove themselves quietly from your presence. Quiet corners, and so forth.

It's a tough time, so don't begrudge the tears. Do, though, try to reflect on the good stuff, and you have my condolences.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I had a cat that lived to 24. Was actually a year older then me (literally knew it all my life). Anyways, as other's have said, it was pretty obvious keeping her around was nothing more then prolonging the pain after a while. Just don't be in the room when they do the deed.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I think you should do like FC said. Thats all i can really say, Hopefully i can offer this for you:
http://pusheen.com

Visit it, and smile.
We all love you very dearly, please stay strong, like SFSteel.
Panda
Never say no to Panda.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I'm so sad to hear this.

I agree with FC, if your cat is suffering, ending that suffering is the right thing to do. But if your cat is still enjoying life, just be there for him to the end.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Aww :(

my family had a cat that lived to be 18 years old. And he was an outdoor cat. And he lived through a lot. from getting caught in a snare and steel jaw trap at the same time to being run over and crushed by a garage door. eventually he went to sleep under or deck and never woke up. The only cat I ever shed a tear (actually I bawled my eyes out) for.

And I agree that if he is in pain the best and hardest thing to do is to end it. But if not then enjoy every minute of it.
And HOW!
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

If your cat is in pain, I would recommend having him put to sleep. It's a lot easier (relative term) for all involved.

However, if you decide to let him die on his own, don't be holding him when he starts seizing up. The psychological trauma is pretty bad. Well... It was for me when my cat died... :(

Off-topic: Panda, how the hell do you always have the right thingto make me feel better when I start getting depressed? It's like you're having premonitions!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Morv... I actually teared up reading this... because I'm a big pansy. My condolences. It is a tough decision to make, however; I'm sure he'll let you know what to do in his own way.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Between you guys and consulting with family and the vet a bit...

I've come to the decision that I'm going to make him as comfortable as possible until he's ready. He's certainly been more of a crotchety old man the last few weeks, but for all the calm disposition he's always had, he looks ready to piss in death's eye. If the kidneys would let him piss, of course. >.>

Ironically, he's figured out how upset I am (even if he doesn't know exactly why) and has gone into his usual routine to try and cheer me up. And this is why he's been my cat for so long.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

morvelaira wrote:Between you guys and consulting with family and the vet a bit...

I've come to the decision that I'm going to make him as comfortable as possible until he's ready. He's certainly been more of a crotchety old man the last few weeks, but for all the calm disposition he's always had, he looks ready to piss in death's eye. If the kidneys would let him piss, of course. >.>

Ironically, he's figured out how upset I am (even if he doesn't know exactly why) and has gone into his usual routine to try and cheer me up. And this is why he's been my cat for so long.
Awwwww :(.

I'm really sorry for you and your kitten.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

morvelaira wrote:Between you guys and consulting with family and the vet a bit...

That sounds like you have a truly wonderful cat...
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OH sweetie. *Hugs*

Enjoy these last days with your cat. Take time off work if you can.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Panda

Post by Panda »

You know maybe my cat thought he was my boyfriend to.... he used to get in-between me and my girlfriend and lick my cheek all night. :3
Never say no to Panda.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

I agree with FC on this one, I had a dog for around 12 years growing up, an English Masstiff and the thing was nearly 200 pounds and dogs that large usually don't live that long. He had an enlarged heart toward the end and it was giving him problems, the medication to alleviate those problems made his bones weaker and intensified his hip problems. It got to the point that he couldn't stand and walk on his own with out falling after more than a few feet, you could tell that it was agonizing for him both physically and emotionally because he couldn't get from one place to another and be around the family.

I think if your cat is still in a position where he can enjoy life and is able to move itself around and be apart of everything, you could try with medication. If not I think that it is more loving to help it pass and will be less strain on your emotions to be watching it struggle day-in, day-out.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

I'm so sorry Laira. These things are never easy.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

I'd like to link you here; it's a lovely poem about Pet Loss which I send to everyone who is losing or has lost a pet.
http://petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Before I forget -

The decision has been made, and I don't want this thread popping up again to remind me at some point in the future under the dark necromatic arts. Thank you all for your support, and your advice. Requesting a lock.