Snapshot 12w18a

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
cheddar

Snapshot 12w18a

Post by cheddar »

Hello,

I am new to the forum but have been playing BTW for about five months now. I haven't played any vanilla MC or other mods in a long time apart from trying out the xxxHardcorexxx mod recently.

However, in the last couple days I have been playing a new game in snapshot 12w18a because I've never been so excited about an MC update. I have no true idea about what this means in the codebase but I assume it to be a proper re-organisation of the code to a structure that we all expected in the first place. I am a programmer in another field altogether and even I knew that having separate SMP and SSP codebases was just pure madness. So I see this as a very significant step in the right direction - more so than any other update to MC since I have been playing it.

On one of the more official looking posts about it on the MC forum I noticed a huge amount of upset over the move to the client/server architecture. It seems a lot of people are upset that their SSP experience is fundamentally very different. And it is, to be fair. So far my experience of 12w18a as a single player game is that its a less laggy version of SMP. Granted, the complainants are acting very impatiently but I'm not sure Mojang will ever be able to reinstate the same "experience" for single player games in the new model. This is because it relies on communications over a network or local file socket. Neither of these will have the snappy immediacy of things going on only within the same program. So while I will not be upset at this rudimentary change many others may be very perturbed by never getting that experience again - even after Mojang has refactored, streamlined and optimised everything.

I am very interested in hearing what others feel about this update; from both players and developers including Flowerchild and other modders on the forum who are familiar with the MC codebase.

Thanks and long live BTW!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Snapshot 12w18a

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, from what I've seen they're still talking about at least another month until they officially release any of this, so I think complaints are very premature.

I'm fairly confident they can get it back to where it feels like regular SSP by then.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Hello, Cheddar!

Personally, I think the whole plan for a unified code (which is the plan, as far as I understand it, though I may be wrong) is very exciting. Of course people are complaining at the minute, but it *is* only a snapshot. I'm agree with FC. I feel it is too early to get a view on how it is going, and hopefully it'll be more agreeable to the masses when it's released as an official version.

Just a quick pointer - there's been some discussion already on this topic on Morvelaira's MC News Compilation thread in the Better Than Wolves Discussion section of the forum. Although it's not exactly what you want to focus on talking about here, I think it's something you'd be interested in reading (at least the posts made in the last few days regarding the latest snapshot). It's just a pointer in case you hadn't found it already, as it gives an insight into the general reception of the snapshot by the community :).

Eriotto
x
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
hordekips

Post by hordekips »

Because of the unified code i guess MP BTW is going to happen as basicly Sp will be Mp and as you port it to the next version you will basicly be porting it to multiplayer aswell.
Correct me if im wrong.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Can the Snapshot mean that iin the future there will be a easier way to get mods in the multiplayer ?
Sry for stupid question but i not understand it very well
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Donzaffi wrote:Can the Snapshot mean that iin the future there will be a easier way to get mods in the multiplayer ?
Sry for stupid question but i not understand it very well
In the future there won't be "single player" in the sense there is now, so it'll be easier to make mods multiplayer.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Nearly all FPS engines these days use this engine model already and they're slick as snot. It'll just take a while for them to remove all the various hacks in place to make SSP so smooth at the moment and refactor the architecture of their SMP code. Client prediction code can be a pain to get right and it's obvious from the current SMP that Minecraft has basically zero of this in place at the moment.
cheddar

Post by cheddar »

Thanks for the replies. I realise it is still too early to talk a lot about this but I was excited :)

Interesting Mr_Hosed I did wonder if there was any sort of predictive behaviour in these FPS game clients. Good to know there is as my limited (1990's) network programming experience tells me relying on just network/socket connections would not suffice for slick gameplay.

Cheers!