Windmill Woes

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Yushatak

Windmill Woes

Post by Yushatak »

http://imgur.com/l3ROX

I made a windmill, took a long time. I actually could easily make a waterwheel about the same time, but I decided to sit there and gather/grind hemp and get the pretty one first.

Anywho, I placed a gearbox, an axle, and then tried to place it - "Not enough space!" says the mod. I cleared it some more, and tried again - not enough space. I noticed a tree hanging over the top blocking the sky to some of the potential windmill location, so I went and cut it down - not enough space. I moved the setup a few blocks over so it had more room away from the mountain - not enough space. I noticed a tree on the other side now that I'd moved it over - burned it to the ground - not enough space.

(Note that the anchor/rope setup was not here during most of these tries, I added it when I kept having to go up and down.. I'm going to take it down and try again in case it's blocking it now.. Nope, that wasn't the problem.)

The error about space should really tell you how many blocks it needs, and so should the wiki... I looked up a "tutorial" for a windmill, and counted that it seemed to be 6 blocks of space on all sides from the center, and I have that (more than that, heh), yet I can't place it... WHY? D:

http://imgur.com/l3ROX
Last edited by Yushatak on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_fodder

Re: Can't Place My Windmill... D:

Post by the_fodder »

Its your rope.

I would just add another axle and get your windmill out of that plain.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Yushatak

Post by Yushatak »

It's not the rope.. tried removing it. I did just find the size requirement on the wiki though (dunno how I missed it before) - 13x13x1. I'm going to go check..

Edit: Moving it forward one worked, but I'm honestly not sure why. There was space for 6 blocks on all sides of the thing, unless the 13x13x1 really meant 13x13x2..?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

No, that's 13x13x1.
You probably forgot one block or torch somewhere ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

The anchor and torch are/were at least within 6 blocks from the gearbox
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Then I say the torch(could also be the door if it is placed funky), its hard to count blocks but that looks to be in the 6 block span of a windmill blade.

hey cool. new feature showing posts since you started your post. Nice one Sargunster!

also damn you battosay/urain
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Yushatak

Post by Yushatak »

Oh yes, the torch! That must have been it. Very picky windmills, aren't they? xD

I'm having trouble getting mechanical power to travel down into the base now - I read at some point that up to three axles can be used in series, but if I make 3 go down from that gearbox the power stops after two. I thus figured I could at least put one axle then one gearbox, and it'll power that gearbox, and repeat.. I set that up, and the gearbox didn't get powered..?

Edit: Oh wait, herp, I remember now, gearboxes are directional.