Notch once-again proves that he's awesome

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
redrew89

Notch once-again proves that he's awesome

Post by redrew89 »

The regular Indie Bundle sales on Steam have always attracted a good amount of attention from the Minecraft community, as Notch has always been a prominant figure (yes, figure in a monetary sense as well) in the proceedings. Recently, EA announced there own "Indie Bundle" and many gaming blogs have had to scratch their collective heads and say "Wait... EA is the antithesis of indie, right?" Seems like Notch is willing to call them out: Read for awesomeness

EA is just being silly, trying to exploit the current "indie craze" to sell games no one really wants.

Thoughts?
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
BinoAl

Re: Notch once-again proves that he's awesome

Post by BinoAl »

You know, I saw the bundle on steam, and it didn't even occur to me it was the "EA Indie Bundle"...
EA is the antithesis of indie.
>.>
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

Given the games ARE indie and some of them quite good, I'm not sure I understand the vitriol. I'm no fan of EA, but providing additional exposure for the small studios involved can only really be a good thing.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

rhacer wrote:Given the games ARE indie and some of them quite good, I'm not sure I understand the vitriol. I'm no fan of EA, but providing additional exposure for the small studios involved can only really be a good thing.
The issue comes in with your definition of indie: Do you take indie as being self published, or as small developers? EA is one of the largest publishers out there, and for them to call a game they published "Indie", its a little ironic :p
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

redrew89 wrote:EA is just being silly, trying to exploit the current "indie craze" to sell games no one really wants.

Thoughts?
Honestly the games offered are great specially Shank and Death Spank. And a big part that people are actually missing is that these games where independently developed before EA even picked them up. I agree that using the word indie is a bad term for EA to be using, but the game where indie and that is what really matters, EA may be the horrible poster child for the game industry and they are using the term rather poorly, but they aren't right out lying about it they are just kinda using it wrong.

The games are worth the purchase even if EA has their shitty hands on them. I don't want to support EA but the people who made the games do need it, and that to me is all that should really matter.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I was actually happy to see Notch say that Mojang doesn't really qualify as indie anymore. I've been silently wondering about that for awhile now.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

You make 20+ million on a game and no matter how small you started, you're not indie anymore.