monster spawners??

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
myrrdan

monster spawners??

Post by myrrdan »

I've been looking all over, tryin to find a monster spawner in my world so i can try to setup a moss stone generator.
With the difficult I've been having, it made me wonder if there is a way to move that monster spawner if i do find one. Otherwise I'll be travelling A TON just to get back & forth from spawner & my base...
fearofshorts

Re: monster spawners??

Post by fearofshorts »

As far as I know, you can't move spawners in vanilla or BTW.

Also, if the spawner you do eventually find is far out enough, it might be unloaded when you are in your base (so no mossy cobble would generate). There are a couple of solutions if this happens, which will seem more or less "cheaty" depending on what restrictions you set on yourself:
  • Just place a spawner in your world where you want one.
  • Move your base/set up a small base where you find the spawner.
  • Scan for spawners closer to your base with an X-Ray texture pack or MCEdit.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

A close monster spawner is pretty much the only requirement for a BTW base. I spend the first hour or so (on average, I've gotten lucky once or twice) of new worlds trying to find one before even starting the BTW tech tree.
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

I'll have to keep that in mind for my next world.. sigh
darnit !!! lol
oh well, maybe i can find enough to make a railway track LMAO j/k
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

fearofshorts wrote:As far as I know, you can't move spawners in vanilla or BTW.

Also, if the spawner you do eventually find is far out enough, it might be unloaded when you are in your base (so no mossy cobble would generate). There are a couple of solutions if this happens, which will seem more or less "cheaty" depending on what restrictions you set on yourself:
  • Just place a spawner in your world where you want one.
  • Move your base/set up a small base where you find the spawner.
  • Scan for spawners closer to your base with an X-Ray texture pack or MCEdit.
The problem isn't that it'll unload if you get several chunks away, it's that it won't function if you're more then a short distance away (20-30 maybe?). Unless your spawner is right below your main base it normally won't be giving you resources unless you afk near it.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Mason, while that is true for a mob trap, I'm pretty sure it still transforms cobblestone to mossy cobblestone if it is loaded but out of NPC spawning range, doesn't it?
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Mason11987 wrote: The problem isn't that it'll unload if you get several chunks away, it's that it won't function if you're more then a short distance away (20-30 maybe?). Unless your spawner is right below your main base it normally won't be giving you resources unless you afk near it.
The mossy stone generation works as soon as the spawner is loaded. No one is talking about mob spawns.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Eriottosan wrote:Mason, while that is true for a mob trap, I'm pretty sure it still transforms cobblestone to mossy cobblestone if it is loaded but out of NPC spawning range, doesn't it?
My mistake, that's normally a priority of mine as well so it was the first thing I considered. In that case it certainly doesn't need to be as close.
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

thanks for the info :)
i don't use spawners for my mobtraps, just the water elevator that others have shown, which works awesome as long as i'm around my base,
will have to keep searching & see what i can find,
thanks everyone.