Problems with Linux

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Sky_Som

Problems with Linux

Post by Sky_Som »

So after my Windows crashed, I switched to Linux. Re-downloaded Minecraft, and started to put mods on(Not using manager)... Wasn't working, so I gave up and pulled the files to a windows computer to use winrar. Still nothing. It's not generating a modloader.txt, and when I run "java -Xms512 -Xmx1024 -jar minecraft.jar"
through the terminal, I get an error saying "Unable to access jarfile minecraft.jar" Any help would be great! Thanks.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
gftweek

Re: Problems with Linux

Post by gftweek »

Did it work on the windows computer first? Otherwise the first thing that comes to mind is permissions.
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

gftweek wrote:Did it work on the windows computer first? Otherwise the first thing that comes to mind is permissions.
Couldn't try it on the windows computer, as it crashes because of missing some software Minecraft needs(College computers, so I couldn't download it). It works without mods, but once the mods were added, boom, black screen.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Black screen used to be indicative of the META-INF folder needing deletion, but I recall someone saying that this wasn't required anymore.

The next best thing to do is to try incrementally adding in the mods, just modloader on it's own to start with. Not sure what zip utility is good to use for linux, but one of the install guides might point to one, if the default installed one doesn't work.
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

gftweek wrote:Black screen used to be indicative of the META-INF folder needing deletion, but I recall someone saying that this wasn't required anymore.

The next best thing to do is to try incrementally adding in the mods, just modloader on it's own to start with. Not sure what zip utility is good to use for linux, but one of the install guides might point to one, if the default installed one doesn't work.
I tried several guides, before giving up and using the windows computer. And I made sure to remove the Meta-Inf(I'm on 1.2.3 from a back-up, which I always delete that.) It's just really weird.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

This thread if you haven't already read it might help.

It talks about trying xarchiver instead of fileroller (if that is your default), also installing mods with MCPatcher might get around your problems, otherwise you might need to wait for someone with more linux experience to come online.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Yeah, try MCPatcher, it's quite useful. It's what I use, and is simpler than using the command line.

If you don't want to use MCPatcher, the way I add mods from the command line is as follows:

Code: Select all

mkdir tmp                          (make a temporary directory to unzip mod files in)
cd tmp/                            (navigate into that directory)
unzip <path to mod zip file>.zip   (unzip the mod files to your current directory)
<if the mod files are in a subdirectory, cd into that directory (e.g. for BTW, you have to cd MINECRAFT-JAR, since that is where the class files are)>
jar uvf <path to minecraft.jar> *  (add all the files in your current directory to minecraft.jar)
cd ..                              (navigate to the previous directory)
rm -r tmp/                         (delete the temporary directory since we don't need it anymore)
From the error you provided in your first post about not being able access jarfile minecraft.jar, it sounds like you weren't in the same directory as the launcher jar. I'm assuming you already downloaded the launcher jarfile from minecraft.net, so cd into the same directory as it (or move it to your current directory) and assuming you didn't rename it from minecraft.jar, run that command again. If you did rename it, just substitute minecraft.jar with what you renamed it to in the command.

It's kind of confusing since the launcher jarfile has the same name as the minecraft.jar in your bin folder. I always just rename the launcher jarfile to mclauncher.jar, so they don't get confused.

And as other people said, try installing mods one by one, and seeing if they work before installing the next.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.