Forestry's Anti-Technic Pack move

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Calcifire3691

Re: Forestry's Anti-Technic Pack move

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Elevatator wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote: I think this is probably the best thing SS has ever done :P
Do you mean the nazi "SS"?
It is very painful to die because of laughing. In fact you would laugh so much that you would die, because the air you breathe would don´t even come to your lungs. You would also get pain in all your chest muscles, before you die. Just to let you know that.
SirSengir :P

I know, I've been getting coughing fits for the last week or so (I'm not sure why, but I get them around this time every year, I guess it's some form of hayfever or the shift in weather or something, I got it when we got a dehumidifier for our house as well, so it's probably the drier air)
I cough so much that it shreds my throat up pretty bad (hence the blood)
totally worth it for this though :P
(thankfully, I think I'm at the end of it now :D)
I just have to make sure to stop laughing between coughs long enough to actually breathe
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

While possible, it is very difficult to die of laughter. It requires something extra to override the brain stem and interrupt the automatic process of breathing after you initially lose conciousness.
Better is the enemy of Good
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I am now convinced that bc is in the right hands. Haha damn this was a good one. I'd love to see other mod authors whose work is in technic without permission do stuff like this. I like the idea of a worm virus...something destructive that eats their ores and slowly consumes their world but goes unnoticed for a few logins so that their technic worlds are ruined unless they have an old backup.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Good lord, I had noticed some of the enmity between some people and Flowerchild, but seriously... there are some out there who seem to think he's satan himself (which I have to admit is not something entirely disproven as he has caused me to spend way too much time playing BtW).

Gotta love the phrase "pulling a flowerchild" though. Who knows, maybe some day you'll be in the dictionary!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'll just leave this here
Spoiler
Show
On the other hand, something I was thinking earlier, Forestry modifies none of the mc classes, but it relies on forge, which does. So while technically it is perfectly legal, it is a bit weird if you think about it.

Kind of like saying guns are legal but bullets are illegal.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Point and laugh.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: On the other hand, something I was thinking earlier, Forestry modifies none of the mc classes, but it relies on forge, which does. So while technically it is perfectly legal, it is a bit weird if you think about it.

Kind of like saying guns are legal but bullets are illegal.
Sure, it's a bit weird, but on the other hand, we have a long standing precedent of Mojang actively supporting the whole thing, even with a subforum on the official Minecraft forums devoted to such things. Does anyone seriously expect them to stand up one day and say "you're all in violation of copyright! Remove the mods!"

On the other hand, Technic isn't allowed anywhere near MCF.

The whole argument about modders violating Mojang's copyright is just another silly self-justification from the Technic crowd for their behavior. Regardless of whether Mojang's terms of use permit what we're doing, Mojang's own behavior in working with and supporting mod authors clearly indicates that they do indeed permit it, and beyond that, are actively encouraging it.
Decanet

Post by Decanet »

Oh look. Jakj has a custom "creativity rapist" title now. How cute. Looks like someone on Technic reads these forums.
RaustBlackDragon wrote:BTW: Make nothing easy, make everything possible, and make everything else morbidly hilarious.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Decanet wrote:Oh look. Jakj has a custom "creativity rapist" title now. How cute. Looks like someone on Technic reads these forums.
That's a given.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

In the heat of battle, I wrote it on the MCF, too. Makes sense he would steal it. No surprise, really.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

Is it bad to be comparing my exoskeleton's thickness to FC's when I'm pretty sure I'm close to a third of his age?

I saw some guys talking about how it's a "one persons word against anothers." They went on to say that they support Technic because it's more convenient, to paraphrase.

When did convenience and personal comfort become more important than common sense (It apparently died sometime in the 60's) and respect?

EDIT: I just realised the only reason that FC gets so much crap is because he stood up for his rights back with Forge.
In hindsight, it's rather obvious, but I tend to not dwell on things for very long and quickly forget or lock away the thoughts.
>:/
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
DumbassTurtle

Post by DumbassTurtle »

Mr_Hosed wrote: I like that. Succinctly sums the human condition.
So many things confuse people when they interfere with desires.
FlowerChild wrote: snip ... When called on one point, they shift to another, until it eventually shifts to "it's just a game" thereby nullifying the discussion itself. They justify everything from how the pack started (it was "just for friends"), to how what they're doing is really to the modders benefit (even if the modder wants no part of it), to how they're asking everyone's permission now (just not caring what the answer is). snip
/throws down my two cents/
I personally hate the 'it's for the modders benefit' argument, I don't really see it. To me I just see swarms of sub-humans throwing shit on the official thread when something doesn't work, because they've never read any of the install info, readmes or trouble-shooting information (especially when the mod(s) were gotten from another source). I see tons of the modders FREE TIME (i.e. they aren't at work being paid!) being wasted that could go to making the mod better; or even the human behind the idea being able to do something more fun then code or fend off the drooling zombie hordes on the forums; and the loss of ad-link-revenue (for those that use it) and/or morale giving them less incentive to share the mods they most likely made for themselves and friends but were encouraged to share. Yeah really a benefit...

And it completely baffles me and makes my brain hurt that none of the people who are all 'pro-technic fuck yeah' can even fathom this at all... o.O

/off topic/
FlowerChild wrote:snip ... so I could start working on some rats :)
I totally squee'd at this! I immediately though of my girls (rats) and how they are <3 destructive monsters <3 (they are so perfect!!!). I could have them in game taking over the world!!! So feature confirmed(kidding)!
<- is crazy old rat lady just fyi
Eh something, something...
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Hopefully noone rats you out to animal control.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

Horizon wrote:Hopefully noone rats you out to animal control.
Off-topic:

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a good pun, but that was not an example. You should feel bad. (Kidding.)

On-topic:

I've noticed a growing trend with respect to internet users in general. If they can find a reason to justify any morally ambiguous activity or concept, they will cling to that justification to the point of irrationality and ignorance. It reminds me of a time when I was a member of another particular internet community, which was, at the time, dead set on trolling the web game Gaia Online. I once even went so far as to question why they were so upset. One user's justification: "They banned me for saying I was from [this community]." I stopped visiting that site shortly thereafter.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

That's not a growing trend. That's typical human behavior. Rationality has been shown repeatedly to mostly be used to back-justify actions we take for other, instinctual reasons. You do it too.

Remember, the problem isn't that 95% of people are stupid. The problem is that 100% of people are stupid approximately 95% of the time.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

What I say is that in general, persons are very smart, resourceful, logical individuals that can work through problems intelligently and make good choices overall. However, people on the other hand are moblike, panicky, stupid and self-justifying. While a person spends usually about 90% of their time being smart, if they think up something during that 10% stupid zone around another person also in their stupid zone, then they get a boost to their stupid to 15%. Kakermix goes into his 10% stupid zone, sticks a bunch of mods together without asking and publishes it. A couple people think it's a great idea, and start helping him and supporting him. Eventually, we end up at the present day with a several thousand strong Technic community, that feeds off each others' stupid keeping everyone at a steady 100% stupid. Just my theory.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

redrew89 wrote: On-topic:

I've noticed a growing trend with respect to internet users in general. If they can find a reason to justify any morally ambiguous activity or concept, they will cling to that justification to the point of irrationality and ignorance.
TheAnarchitect wrote:That's not a growing trend. That's typical human behavior.
This is why I stop that classic line from Malcom X
"The mind is a terrible thing to waste."
just when it gets to
"The mind is a terrible thing."

There I stand confident. A smart enough person can make anything sound plausible that is actually objectively is stupid. Arguing objective and subjective reality can sound kinda stupid on as well so I beg some understanding in my use of it in trying to convey the point.

The good thing about these Frankenstein's-Monster-Esque arguments is that they can be dismantled fairy easily, as FlowerChild explained, and when there's no ground left to give the next step is to disregard the whole argument as pointless. I think one of the greater endeavors in life is attempting to remain rational and objective as much as possible. To not lose perspective. For most people it's a matter of course, one for which I think the array of percentages in the previous posts both come from. Same thing, different words, but I think using words to explain trends may be more fair to everyone- at least while I sit in this particular perspective point. :s
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

You need to be careful with your dismantling logic, though. You'd be surprised what civilization-critical concepts and institutions fall apart under careful analysis.

Also, IRL the final step is usually violence.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Well, that's the fun of it, really, dismantling society in general and observing how broken the world really is! It's probably why I'm such a horrible cynic, depressingly so. I'd rather know how stupid life's biggest certainties are and chuckle at others who still stick to them than wallow in the trough of ignorant bliss.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Spoiler
Show
Watch out guys, they're making... Comics!
Admittedly, it did get a bit of a chuckle out of me, if not for the idiocy behind it :)

EDIT: forgot to spoiler
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

BinoAl wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Watch out guys, they're making... Comics!
Admittedly, it did get a bit of a chuckle out of me, if not for the idiocy behind it :)

EDIT: forgot to spoiler
Also have to admit to the chuckle. It's funny simply because it's so ridiculous. The rather obvious reference to those who dislike Technic starting the 'flames' is... stoopid.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Hmmm... was reading the forestry-thread on Technic and from the looks of it, there'll be some stiff competition for BtW soon in the form of Bomb Throwing Wookie.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

TheAnarchitect wrote:You need to be careful with your dismantling logic, though. You'd be surprised what civilization-critical concepts and institutions fall apart under careful analysis.
I think we're all aware when discussing this it's like dancing around a hot stove. One stumble and down could come the banhammer.
BinoAl wrote:Watch out guys, they're making... Comics!
Holy runny nun shit.
Here's an example of doing a double-down on a bad bet instead of admitting you're doing bad.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Graphite wrote:Hmmm... was reading the forestry-thread on Technic and from the looks of it, there'll be some stiff competition for BtW soon in the form of Bomb Throwing Wookie.
Lol. I almost wish they had done this in the first place. Instead of extending the proverbial middle finger and saying "I'm using your work, nana nana boo boo", have a group of modders add all the things they'd like to see in a mod.
Also, this does in fact show that they still wish they had btw. Just saying :3
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Graphite wrote:Hmmm... was reading the forestry-thread on Technic and from the looks of it, there'll be some stiff competition for BtW soon in the form of Bomb Throwing Wookie.
The name got an lol out of me, but from what he said, what's the bet it'll be a compilation of features Technic users want but can't have from other mods? A little simple auto-farming from Forestry, a little... Really, considering the average Technic user, what sort of thing would they even want from BTW? There's no easy ways to get resources, broken mechanics that turn balance into little piles of OP dust, and nothing super flashy and fun to run around screwing with. Except for maybe the throwable Ghast-spawning from Soul Urns.