Looking for a compact design for a 9x9 wall 'o saws

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ilovekintoki

Looking for a compact design for a 9x9 wall 'o saws

Post by ilovekintoki »

Hey guys, as per title I'm trying to find a compact-as-possible way of implementing a 9x9 wall 'o saws. The design I'm currently looking at has dimensions 7x7x7 and I would love to have a more "vertical" one, ie one that only occupies a small amount in, say, the x,y-direction and more in the z-direction. A picture of my current design:
Spoiler
Show
Thanks in advance!
TheAnarchitect

Re: Looking for a compact design for a 9x9 wall 'o saws

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Define "Compact." When trying to get a bunch of working mechanical devices directly next to each other, there's really no such thing.

Here's the best I can do.
Spoiler
Show
This is done at each row.

This is done at the two corners to get power to everything.
I can make something more compact, but which doesn't power every saw in the wall. It skips every fourth saw.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

I'm sorry, it seems I mistyped twice. I was only looking for a 3x3 wall, dunno how I got that mixed up. Anyway, I applied the pattern in your design to a 3x3 wall, which gave me the following:
Spoiler
Show
It has dimensions 5x7x5, which I can easily change to 5x5x7 with a simple rotation. This is actually precisely what I needed, thanks a ton!
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I was wondering what on earth you could need a 9x9 wall of saws for anyway. Yeah, 3x3 is much simpler, I bet I could get it even smaller.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Heh, well, I don't really care much about the vertical coordinate, but improvements to the x and y axis are always welcome.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

It's really cool seeing this as I just ripped out a design that had three saws side-by-side over three hoppers. So it was a 2x3 type design. Unfortunately I had forgotten that there is a gap under a saw and most of the pigs that went in ended up dead, with their meat behind and under the saws instead of in the hoppers. I was horribly disappointed, but glad that it looks like I was on the right track with how to get the mechanical working.

[edit] horrible spelling and grammar.
Last edited by rhacer on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

rhacer wrote:It's really cool seeing this as I just ripped out a design that had three saws side-by-side over three hoppers. So it was a 2x3 type design. Unfortunately I had forgotten that there is a gap under a saw and most of the pigs that went in ended up dead, with their meet behind under the saws instead of in the hoppers. I was horribly disappointed, but glad that it looks like I was on the right track with how to get the mechanical working.

LOL. I actually had the same experience with my sky grinder kill room when initially building it. Forgot about the gap and all my items ended up in a pile behind my hoppers rather then in the hoppers.

@TheAnarchitect LOVE that layout. I've always just laid out my gear boxes in a haphazard way.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Do they need to be powered from behind? If so you could make it very small indeed.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

So I saw this and decided to give it a whirl. Here's what I came up with:
Spoiler
Show
5x7 blocks total as a footprint isn't too bad, is it?
Anarchitect's is probably infinitely better, but I though I'd throw mine out there just to see.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
angra_mania

Post by angra_mania »

Lurker me posted this a while ago, But here is my extendable design for a wall of saws, this one is 5x5, but a 9x9 would work with this as well. I don't think you can get this anymore compact than it is now.
Spoiler
Show
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Angra for the win! Nice layout! Gave me lots of ideas for more compact drive trains.