Need new games :D

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
daveboy2000

Need new games :D

Post by daveboy2000 »

Alright people, i have reached steel a while ago in better than wolves, level 51 in skyrim, completed fallout new vegas mostly, finished GTA IV, etcetera etcetera etcetera...

Could anyone recommend me some good games? (have to be pc, i don't have any consoles XD)

List of games I've already played/finished: GTA III, GTA VC GTA SA, GTA IV, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC and CS, CoD MW1, 2 and 3, world at war and black ops, battlefield 1942, 2 and 3, minecraft (obviously), terraria, team fortress 2, moonbase alpha, H.A.W.X. 1 and 2, AoE 1, 2 and 3 with all expansions, C&C generals and red alert 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Assassins Creed I, II, Brotherhood and Revelations, Crysis 1, warhead and 2, Fallout New Vegas, Fable III, Singularity, Spore, Portal and Portal 2, World in Conflict, Sniper Ghost Warrior, Project IGI 1 and 2, Worms 3D, bioshock 1 and 2, Turning Point Fall of Liberty, Just Cause 2 and presumably some others I forgot.

Edit: Added a game
Edit 2: Added another game i forgot
Last edited by daveboy2000 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Need new games :D

Post by Sarudak »

Sins of a solar empire if you do multiplayer.

AI war if you're ok with indie graphics.

Starflight 1/2 and star control 2 if you're ok with really old games with awesome story/gameplay.

The new elemental game is looking awesome although it's still in beta.

Dwarf fortress if you like deep games and can handle infuriating UI.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Ultima4, old school but a good one.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

Sarudak wrote:Dwarf fortress if you like deep games and can handle infuriating UI.
I have heard some good things about it now you say it, but i'd like some screenshots, as i can't really find any good screenshot on google, perhaps you or someone else can provide one?
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Jazz Jackrabbit, Supaplex.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Sins of a solar empire sure is a great game you should try !

And if you like funky FPS, you would like Borderlands ! The second one is coming for next September, leaving you a lot of time to finish it ^^
Oh, and Rage too. This is a great FPS similar to Borderlands, a bit shorter I think. Although everyone says the ending kind of screw the rest up, it stays a great game (I just didn't wanted to finish it at first in order not to be disappointed :p )

I strongly recommend those three games !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dwarf Fortress ftw. It's the only game over the past year that managed to pull away my attention from Minecraft for any significant length of time, and it's free. SpaceChem too to a certain degree, but that only lasted a couple of weeks before I moved on. It doesn't have the same legs as MC or DF.
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

Well, i may try sins of a solar empire, however, i don't like funky games. I'd rather have a realistic to semi-realistic atmosphere, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., talking about stalker, does anyone know a game with a distinct atmosphere like Stalker?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

daveboy2000 wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Dwarf fortress if you like deep games and can handle infuriating UI.
I have heard some good things about it now you say it, but i'd like some screenshots, as i can't really find any good screenshot on google, perhaps you or someone else can provide one?
screenshots don't do it justice.
I'd reccomend the "traditional way" of being introduced to dwarf fortress.

ie. make a fort and fail horribly, realize that this isn't a game that messes around, and consult the wiki for 24 hours of hard studying, then grow a beard made of slade and start making a lava cannon or something awesome, yet useless.
(at least, that was how I was introduced to it by my "friends", and how they were introduced to it by their "friends")

it doesn't matter how you play after, but it's important to play vanilla for the first time, simply for the wake up call.
so sayeth Urist McBeardbooze

have "fun" :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote:it doesn't matter how you play after, but it's important to play vanilla for the first time, simply for the wake up call.
I disagree strongly with that statement. Without installing a graphic pack and Dwarf Therapist, I didn't last more than a few hours with the game due to the horrible interface, and I know that's the same thing many people run into.

Playing totally vanilla is a great way to turn people totally off the game before they even really start.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, chances are those screenshots of Dwarf Fortress you found in Google are actually good ones that were taken with the stock ASCII representations; there's a few major graphics packs out there (the three that come to mind are Phoebus, Ironhand, and Mayday) that make it much easier to understand what's going on. The game's cool in that every world that you generate will have a different backstory and that every dwarf in your fortress has randomly generated stats and preferences. Of course, it does have more of a learning cliff than a learning curve.

If you're a "collect all the things" kind of person, I'd suggest Just Cause 2. The story's all right, the voice acting's terrible, but the gameplay is very solid and the graphics are beautiful. I've found that there's nothing quite like doing a fly-by of a military base in a prop plane and still managing to dodge everything they throw at you.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

For dwarf fortress get the lazy newb pack. It's hands down the best way to start.

Also if you base your desire to play a game on a screenshot you won't last long with DF
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote:it doesn't matter how you play after, but it's important to play vanilla for the first time, simply for the wake up call.
I disagree strongly with that statement. Without installing a graphic pack and Dwarf Therapist, I didn't last more than a few hours with the game due to the horrible interface, and I know that's the same thing many people run into.

Playing totally vanilla is a great way to turn people totally off the game before they even really start.
really?
I played without any addons and was pretty much completely lost, and I LOVED IT :P
(my friends who played it started the same way, maybe we're all just masochists?)

but yeah, I can see where you're coming from, I already played ASCII based games before (nethack FTW :P), so I had a vague idea what I was looking at, but to someone who'd never played that style of game before, I can see it being a massive turn off.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

FlowerChild wrote: I disagree strongly with that statement. Without installing a graphic pack and Dwarf Therapist, I didn't last more than a few hours with the game due to the horrible interface, and I know that's the same thing many people run into.

Yes it is. I can't count how many times I've downloaded and attempted to start a game and said "Figuring this shit out isn't fun, perhaps later."
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Play Dungeon Keeper 2, its old, and the graphics are nothing to shout about but its the most fun I've ever had in that sort of sandbox game.

You can buy it quite cheaply on GoG :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

May I suggest then Metro 2033?

Incredible atmosphere, and will soon have a sequel, which I'm anxious to see.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote:but yeah, I can see where you're coming from, I already played ASCII based games before (nethack FTW :P), so I had a vague idea what I was looking at, but to someone who'd never played that style of game before, I can see it being a massive turn off.
So have I man. I've been a hardcore gamer since the early eighties, and played practically everything of note in the years in between, so I've seen just about everything. DF takes abstract graphics and an unwieldy interface to never before seen levels in gaming. I think this mod is testament to how much a fan I am of technical gameplay, and obviously as a programmer I am accustomed to dealing with high levels of abstraction.

Even with that though, I personally do not consider the game playable without a graphic pack and DT. Even though I've become quite adept at the game now, I wouldn't even be slightly inclined to play without either of those.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Ultima underworld. Someone mentioned suppaplex, it's a fun little game which reminds me of better times. X-com Apocalypse. Castlevania - Aria of sorrow. Bastion. Psychonauts. Jamestown. Magic Carpet(errr, tell me if you find a good way to run it). Thief. Goblins 3. Hexen 2. C&C RA. Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Might and Magic 7. Longest Journey.

This isn't just nostalgia speaking.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

FurkeyRefills wrote:GoG :)
Good'ol Games live up to their name. Give'em a look if you haven't. =D
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If you've got a flightstick (or even if you don't), the Wing Commander Saga fan project is well worth looking into.
Spoiler
Show
A lot of people hated Farcry 2 but I actually really enjoyed it, particularly the ending. Arcade realism in your gameplay and the ability to stalk the most dangerous prey through tall grass and jungles, occasionally herding them by setting wildfires? Hell yes. Co-op would have made it ten times better but it was still a great deal of fun for me. Then again, if you hate the idea of walking/driving across a continent while dodging checkpoints and patrols, you're going to find it a wee bit tedious.

If you haven't played Bastion yet, you really should.
Better is the enemy of Good
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I'll add a few games in here that you should give a try. Click the name above the spoiler for the link :) honestly these are great games and they are cheap!

Dwarf Fortress(like many already suggested)
Spoiler
Show
The link leads to the Lazy Newb Pack and for what it's worth does a damn good job of easing players into the complex world of Dwarf Fortress. You really need to have patience to learn and understand the game, but if your willing to stomach it's learning curve and atrocious UI you will find that no other game can compare to the enjoyment you can get out of it. Word of advice: When in doubt always refer to the wiki :)
AI War: Fleet Command + all 3 expansions
Spoiler
Show
You really can not go wrong with this extremely great RTS. If you are a fan of a more strategic style of play, then you owe yourself to get this game, or at least download the demo of the core game Click me. The AI is extremely intelligent and will outsmart you and if your not careful will win! This game also takes a while to learn but it's well worth it. The game does what no other strategy game does, and that's an actual AI capable of beating the living shit out of you :) and with the alien bundle I linked in the name you get several thousand hours worth of game play, due to how many ships and AI customization options that are in it :)

Also check out there soon to be released new game A Valley Without Wind http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/g ... w-features
10 great indie games
Spoiler
Show
I'll just let the article linked above tell you what indie games of last year that where considered some of the best :) Dungeons of Dredmor is my personal favorite. I love rouge likes and this one is a lot better then most in terms of being new player friendly. Also SpaceChem is absolutely amazing if you like really technical type game play/puzzle's :)
Project Zomboid (last but one of the best!)
Spoiler
Show
Honestly a realistic style zombie survival game, whats not to love?... hell I don't even need to tell you how good it is, just go buy the damn thing you won't regret it :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote:Project Zomboid (last but one of the best!)Honestly a realistic style zombie survival game, whats not to love?... hell I don't even need to tell you how good it is, just go buy the damn thing you won't regret it :)
Has it really progressed to the point where it can be classified as a game with some long-term play value? I checked it out several months ago, and while I liked what I saw of it, there really wasn't enough there for me to inspire a purchase.

I'm a huge zombie fan though, so I'd really love to love it :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

It is really getting there :]

After the unfortunate events around the data loss they had they seem to be redoubling their efforts and are more motivated than ever.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:
kregoth wrote:Project Zomboid (last but one of the best!)Honestly a realistic style zombie survival game, whats not to love?... hell I don't even need to tell you how good it is, just go buy the damn thing you won't regret it :)
Has it really progressed to the point where it can be classified as a game with some long-term play value? I checked it out several months ago, and while I liked what I saw of it, there really wasn't enough there for me to inspire a purchase.

I'm a huge zombie fan though, so I'd really love to love it :)
EDIT: Herpa Derpa I misread your post. The current demo version is pretty far behind compared to there test builds. Sadly need an account to play them :( but they are doing an awesome job and it's continuing to be a great zombie survival game, better then I expected at least.

You can download there test builds before the huge 0.2 update which is going to add a ton of content, as well as make it easier for them to add more. you can grab them from here -> http://theindiestone.com/community/viewforum.php?f=21

Warning: The Experimental Combat build is really buggy, but it is really FUN! lol For a more stable Test build grab the one here http://theindiestone.com/community/view ... ed3f6c7251
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote:
EDIT: Herpa Derpa I misread your post. The current demo version is pretty far behind compared to there test builds. Sadly need an account to play them :( but they are doing an awesome job and it's continuing to be a great zombie survival game, better then I expected at least.

You can download there test builds before the huge 0.2 update which is going to add a ton of content, as well as make it easier for them to add more. you can grab them from here -> http://theindiestone.com/community/viewforum.php?f=21

Warning: The Experimental Combat build is really buggy, but it is really FUN! lol For a more stable Test build grab the one here http://theindiestone.com/community/view ... ed3f6c7251
Ok, let me ask you this directly then: is it worth ME buying it right now? I have limited funds at the moment, but if you give me the thumbs up, I will purchase it tonight.

You were largely responsible for turning me onto Dwarf Fortress, so I will take your word for it on this :)