Cement Physics: Anybody know a good video?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

Cement Physics: Anybody know a good video?

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I've read the wiki on how they work, but since it's made out of precious soul urns, and since any mistakes are extremely tricky to remedy owing to the scale of the stuff, I was wondering if anybody had a good instructional video that explained in detail how cement behaves with its spreading mechanics?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
duartemad

Re: Cement Physics: Anybody know a good video?

Post by duartemad »

Good solution, creative world, test, test and.... test some more until you get a feel on how cement works
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Tropa

Post by Tropa »

duartemad wrote:Good solution, creative world, test, test and.... test some more until you get a feel on how cement works
This.
A Drop Of Water Can Cause A Tidalwave.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I think it flows for 14 blocks but I can't be sure.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

16 blocks in each direction.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
RaustBlackDragon

The great randomo wrote:16 blocks in each direction.
Including downwards?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Yup.
I think it's 16 blocks...
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I don't think there would be a limit going down, there isn't for lava or water.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yes, there is.
RaustBlackDragon

Battosay wrote:Yes, there is.

OOOOH. Damn, then it's not gonna help with what I have in mind :(

If there were some sort of corrosive acid that had those mechanics, that'd be another thing, but...

Anyway, thanks for clarifying guys :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

duartemad wrote:Good solution, creative world, test, test and.... test some more until you get a feel on how cement works
For me creative mode doesn't exist. It take the fun out of figuring stuff out.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

rhacer wrote: For me creative mode doesn't exist. It take the fun cost out of figuring stuff out.
Fix'd :)
I generally play around with any given feature in creative first, to get a feel for it. Well, not creative, but TMI. :)
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:OOOOH. Damn, then it's not gonna help with what I have in mind :(
What did you have in mind?

It seems to pick which directions to expand in in the same way as water, but only go for 16 blocks. Is that not going to work?

Also, if you supply redstone power to the source block it won't set, so you might be able to experiment some with just one bucket. The easiest way is probably a solid block above the source with a lever. Be careful though, if you cut off the flow by placing blocks then that part will set rather than vanishing.
RaustBlackDragon

ialdbaoloth wrote: What did you have in mind?
I wanted a quick way to create a large hollow area which I could make pitch black to turn into an arena to fight monsters in.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

So can't you use Mining Charges?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

BinoAl wrote:
rhacer wrote: For me creative mode doesn't exist. It take the fun cost out of figuring stuff out.
Fix'd :)
I generally play around with any given feature in creative first, to get a feel for it. Well, not creative, but TMI. :)
Clever "fix." It's still a huge "no" for me though. The cost is part of playing the game to me.

Of course I had a week-long debate with myself over whether Rei's Minimap was cheating for me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rhacer wrote: Clever "fix." It's still a huge "no" for me though. The cost is part of playing the game to me.
Same for me. I regret having even used creative for testing mod features as I was developing them (namely the Lens).
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I wanted a quick way to create a large hollow area which I could make pitch black to turn into an arena to fight monsters in.
To make buildings with cement, it seems you need to build a flat ceiling yourself, and then pour a bucket of cement in the middle to get walls. It sounds like a single pour might not be as large as you want.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

FlowerChild wrote:
rhacer wrote: Clever "fix." It's still a huge "no" for me though. The cost is part of playing the game to me.
Same for me. I regret having even used creative for testing mod features as I was developing them (namely the Lens).
This is actually really impressive. I figured you'd have to have some sort of test world for testing new features.

I've had to put off building some new things as I've had to go back to mining because I'm completely out of diamonds. I just found three and was thrilled! I still need a bunch more as I want to delve into some of the more advanced features of BTB.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rhacer wrote: This is actually really impressive. I figured you'd have to have some sort of test world for testing new features.
Nah, what I usually do is create a backup of my save when I'm about to test something new and "high risk", then just keep playing/testing as normal. If something really blows up on me (and that has happened very rarely), or I decide to drastically rebalance the recipes or something, I can revert the save if need be, but the vast majority of time, I just keep going from there.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

I found it very effective to build trenches at roof height, pour in the cement (power the source block). Let the cement first spread on the upper Layer and then remove the bottom of the moulding. It now flows down to create walls. Note however, that the walls become shorter the further away form the source they are. Let it all set and your wall is done.
It is also advisable to build a dam at the bottom of your "construction site" to avoid mishapps involving cement spreading all over the place.

Roof pouring involves as much work, as building the roof manually in the first place. I wouldn't recommend it.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

ialdbaoloth wrote: It seems to pick which directions to expand in in the same way as water, but only go for 16 blocks.
Unless something has darastically changed this is incorrect. Cement will spread in all horizontal directions unlike water which chooses the laziest path to the next block down.

Raust, cement is still very much a viable option for your "under-dome", but for it to be used effectively you'll have to design around cements limitations which is that it cannot flow diagonally. If you want to test out how cement flows and not feel like you've wasted a soul urn you could use it to fill in some unwanted body of water and watch it as it spreads out and downward.
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

Thalmane wrote:Unless something has darastically changed this is incorrect. Cement will spread in all horizontal directions unlike water which chooses the laziest path to the next block down.
Thanks, my explanation was completely wrong about which directions it chooses to spread,
and probably made it sound much harder to work with.

What I meant to explain was that most blocks spread to the sides if there's a solid block beneath,
otherwise just straight down, and the source block spreads to all sides and down (if possible).
Thalmane wrote:If you want to test out how cement flows and not feel like you've wasted a soul urn you could use it to fill in some unwanted body of water and watch it as it spreads out and downward.
As long as it's a shallow pond - I hoped you might mean cement spreads also into a wider plume in water, but it just goes straight down in the ocean:
Spoiler
Show
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Lol sadly no it doesn't work like that :pguess I should have specified starting at the shore line.