Speech Recognition (aka Me Geeking Out)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kain Magin

Speech Recognition (aka Me Geeking Out)

Post by Kain Magin »

Ok, I have totaly geeked out the last few days since I found out Winblows 7 has Speech Recognition software built in. Been messing around with the settings and made a few macro's for my comp to talk to me as well. Say hi, or tell me the weather.

I am currently working on adding more functions such as control for YouTube, Facebook, and other stuff. I've even used speech recognition to enter this whole message. It's been really neat telling my computer to do stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has any neat ideas for things I can try to control via voice (other than x10 devices).

Or if anyone has a good name to give a pc with a female voice (can't keep calling it Jarvis since i havn't found a decent male voice.

EDIT: kinda thinking Alice or Angel.... but those are a bit meh

EDIT2: still working on learning the basic functions, but I wanna play Minecraft with my voice ^^
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
redrew89

Re: Speech Recognition (aka Me Geeking Out)

Post by redrew89 »

I've messed around a bit with the speech recognition in Windows 7, but never really found it to be reliable. Maybe I just have strange speech patterns.

Fun fact: Back in the days when I was heavy into mIRC scripting, I experimented with Microsoft Agent, which had text-to-speech functionality. It had some pretty interesting results. As far as working with complex voice commands, I think Kinect functionality provides a bit of this on the 360, and I know hackers have it working on Windows 7 to some extent. Microsoft is pushing Kinect compatibility for Windows 8, so you'll basically have the motion and voice-controlled interface of your dreams with little to no initial set up.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Find a very bored sounding male voice, name it Holly, and use this for its avatar:

War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

As far as names go, I'd suggest Teletraan-1 or T-AI, Teletraan-1 was originally supposed to have a feminine voice, and T-AI is a straight up computer hologram girl.

Of course, both are heavy degrees of Transformers nerdery, so possibly not your speed.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

There's always the old classic: call it 'computer'.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Find a very bored sounding male voice, name it Holly, and use this for its avatar:

i lol'ed at that.

Caboose wrote:As far as names go, I'd suggest Teletraan-1 or T-AI, Teletraan-1 was originally supposed to have a feminine voice, and T-AI is a straight up computer hologram girl.

Of course, both are heavy degrees of Transformers nerdery, so possibly not your speed.
ah geekyness ftw. Now im tempted to call it Tai (or T-AI) ^^.

Stormweaver wrote:There's always the old classic: call it 'computer'.
"Hello Computer" ... nah... not geeky enough.

i'm currently using the Kate voice (http://www.neospeech.com/ Us English Kate) and i also have the Crystal voice (http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php) kinda jumping between the two at the moment (the names just label the voice, i can have it run under whatever name i give it)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I've got another obligatory, but male name

By the way, Is it too much to hope that your name is Dave?
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Poppycocks wrote:I've got another obligatory, but male name
Spoiler
Show
By the way, Is it too much to hope that your name is Dave?
Daisy, Daisy... =D
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

I played with speech recognition on XP back in the day (some of it is built in but not activated. Requires a small patch and it adds it to microsoft voice).
There was a program that I used that turned speech into keystrokes.
What I ended up doing was playing World of Warcraft by hand on my account and use a healer in my partners account controlled by voice.
This allowed me to 'solo' all those things I was not meant to do by myself.
And if I died? I only had me to blame.

On a side note, I love making old Microsoft Sam say "Soy"... cracks me up.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

rofl. i wanna play wow by voice ^^, just dun have the money to get my acct started again atm... same for EVE Online.

Its only too bad that Windows Speech Recognition doesnt use an avatar. that Droid pic would be awesome.

here is the "Core" code for "Jarvis". nothing impressive, just 3 commands for him to talk to me when i say a few things.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<speechMacros>
     <command>
          <listenFor>Hello Jarvis</listenFor>
          <speak>Good day Sir, what can I do for you today</speak>
     </command>

<command>
          <listenFor>?Jarvis, ?Why ?don't ?you say Hi to [...]</listenFor>
          <listenFor>?Jarvis, ?Why ?don't ?you say Hello to [...]</listenFor>
          <speak>Hello {[...]}. I'm Kain's computer</speak>
     </command>

<command>
          <listenFor>Thank you ?Jarvis</listenFor>
          <speak>You're welcome Sir, anything else I can do for you today</speak>
     </command>
</speechMacros>
Just made the "Thank you" command a minute ago. Adding a bit of "conversational" dialogue.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

redrew89 wrote:Microsoft is pushing Kinect compatibility for Windows 8, so you'll basically have the motion and voice-controlled interface of your dreams with little to no initial set up.
As I've gotten older I've come to realize that the main mistake Orwell made was in not anticipating that the installation of audio and visual surveillance equipment in people's homes would be voluntary.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Wow. That just reminded me, I meant to read that book. Already got it lying around here somewhere.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

FlowerChild wrote:
redrew89 wrote:Microsoft is pushing Kinect compatibility for Windows 8, so you'll basically have the motion and voice-controlled interface of your dreams with little to no initial set up.
As I've gotten older I've come to realize that the main mistake Orwell made was in not anticipating that the installation of audio and visual surveillance equipment in people's homes would be voluntary.
Huxley had the edge on Orwell for predictive distopia in general, though in his brave new world surveillance wasn't even needed.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

I'm looking forward to this. I can't wait to control video games via motion control. I'll be able to make one of those neat holographic-ish computers like you see an Avatar.