Off-Topic Hell (Was: An Important Announcement)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
morvelaira

Re: An Important Announcement

Post by morvelaira »

Sorry if this is too much off topic, but I just had to add this here:
Spoiler
Show
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Bit late, but we're halfway there I guess...

Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I thought I posted here already, but in addition to the overall anticipation for whatever it is Flowerchild's cooking up for us, I really like that this community won't act disappointed no matter how much we hype it. Most everyone here genuinely appreciates what Flowerchild makes, and that's pretty cool.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Caboose wrote:I thought I posted here already, but in addition to the overall anticipation for whatever it is Flowerchild's cooking up for us, I really like that this community won't act disappointed no matter how much we hype it. Most everyone here genuinely appreciates what Flowerchild makes, and that's pretty cool.
That's although because what he does is always very good from a lot of different points of view :)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Only 10 days left! The suspense is killing me. I had to take it out on my wolves....
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Husbag3 wrote:Only 10 days left! The suspense is killing me. I had to take it out on my wolves....
So, the suspense is killing your wolves? :D
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

BinoAl wrote:
Husbag3 wrote:Only 10 days left! The suspense is killing me. I had to take it out on my wolves....
So, the suspense is killing your wolves? :D
Suspense killed the wolf.
Curiosity killed the cat.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I turned them into companion cubes, the started staring at me in a funny way....
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

With a week to go before the date do you have any more delicious hints to share Flowerchild?

Obviously most of us know that it will be a Thunderdome, but for the ones who haven't got it yet some clues might be nice. ;)
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

I'm wondering if I'm the only person here who likes surprises, so have no desire to see information trickling out.

Heck I can shop with someone buying me gifts and never know what the person I'm with has bought me because I HATE ruining surprises (I did it once on a birthday when I was in the single digits and I've had no desire to do so again ever).

On this front, I've even switched off all my speculation. I'm looking forward to the 10th, though I'll be travelling on business and spending much of the evening of the 10th on an airplane.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I hate surprises, really. Anticipation. I hate anticipation. But I love speculating. To avoid issues, I speculate without caring about the correctness of the speculation. I also still enjoy a story even after being spoiler'd to death, and I shop with family for my own presents on holidays, and still wait until the holiday to get them with no problem.

I'm not anticipating the April 10th release at all. I'm so far down the tech tree (and taking my sweet time) that I won't see the new content for weeks after that anyway. Instead I'm grateful that FC puts all this attention into the mod, and hope that HE is enjoying the new content he's adding.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

TheAnarchitect wrote: Instead I'm grateful that FC puts all this attention into the mod, and hope that HE is enjoying the new content he's adding.
Totally agree!

Happy to wait with no news, but I know FC likes to tease so I thought I would let him know how eagerly we are awaiting the big reveal. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well guys, as I mentioned on MCF yesterday, I *may* be pushing back the date of the April 10th release:
Just a little forewarning guys:

Between the increased blockIDs constantly getting pushed back by Mojang (I thought a month would be more than enough time for that feature to make its way into vMC), a bad cold I had for the past week and just got over, and my desire to do all of this just right, I've begun wondering if pushing the April 10th release back some might be the best move.

No decisions made yet, but just a little heads up that April 10th may not actually be on April 10th ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You do what you have to do, FC. Eat chicken soup, feel better. Tease us mercilessly on the 10th if we don't get the whole shebang.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Do your thing the way you want to do it, we'll be here :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Ah missed that!

Same as above. Take your time and feel better soon.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

good things come to those who wait. I for one can wait. Gives me time to find a new seed and do some real life stuff. Hope you are feeling better.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

<cliche> Anything worth doing is worth doing right :D </cliche>
I'd gladly wait a while for a proper release, rather than force you to stick to the april 10th release and possibly leave things incomplete :)
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

Personally, I'm usually quite happy when I hear that any game (or, in this instance, mod update) has been delayed. A delay usually at least means the developers want this to be as advertised, if not actually making the game Better than Advertised.

No matter the reason (and feel better), more development time is almost always a good thing.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the understanding.

It's all a matter of whether I can get it to a stage where I feel it's complete enough to be incrementally improved from that point forward (as the mod's development normally works), without lessening the initial experience.

I'll be much more comfortable when I reach that stage, as I can then go back to just adding little things here and there as I normally do instead of having this huge block of features I need to deal with all at once.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

One more word of support here. I would much rathter see a polished product over a rushed delivery. Thanks for your hard work.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Possible delay comes as no surprise and it's completely okay! I'd much rather wait for a more complete release than a rushed release.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FC, you know that us forum members do not care if the release date is not the 10th, we would ALL much rather prefer a happy FC, to one who is stressing over a release date he set for himself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:FC, you know that us forum members do not care if the release date is not the 10th, we would ALL much rather prefer a happy FC, to one who is stressing over a release date he set for himself.
Yeah, that was probably a mistake. I'm used to working under such deadlines professionally, but doing it for a hobby project just makes it feel more like an obligation or "work" than it should, and unlike a job, I don't have a fixed number of hours per day I can spend working on it, which makes precise scheduling much more difficult.

Anyways, my intentions were good in wanting to do something special to mark the anniversary of the mod in a notable way, I just don't think it was a good idea in practice to impose something like that on myself regardless.

When I was sick, I started feeling stressed that I was falling behind on my "deadline" and that was just wrong. At this point, the entire thing has undergone several complete redesigns too, and I've realized I'm still not 100% happy with my direction, so being able to meet the looming deadline has become less and less likely, and I don't want to wind up pushing something out just because I said I would only to realize I should have done it an entirely different way.

As I've mentioned, this is quite a dramatic shift in direction for the mod that will likely occupy the upcoming weeks and months in terms of the new content that is released for the mod, so I have to make sure the overall direction is just right before steering myself on that kind of course.

Like I said too, throwing in this lingering issue of the extended block IDs and the large number I am consuming at present, and it's just making less and less sense to me to release just to meet the April 10th date I announced.

I'll still see if I can do something special for that day, whether it be another feature release, or a teaser vid of what I'm currently working on or something, regardless of whether I put out the whole thing. I definitely do want to celebrate the date in some way :)

Anyways guys, thanks again for the understanding. It may seem silly, but this was actually the source of some stress for me as I didn't want to let people down.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I agree that the life of the mod maker is a bit more important that celebrating the mod's birthday ;)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/