Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Catox

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by Catox »

Is it such a problem to scan blocs and items of a world ? (or should I say "of a chunk")
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Catox wrote:Is it such a problem to scan blocs and items of a world ? (or should I say "of a chunk")
No, I'm just placing all these restrictions on myself for shits and giggles.

Let's drop this here shall we? We can discuss it elsewhere if there's anything useful left to be said.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:I've talked about this before, but the problem basically boils down to, if Mojang are adding extra blockIDs to Minecraft, then they will likely start using more block IDs themselves.

That means that the blockID region they currently use will rapidly expand. Now, if they're smart about it, they themselves will start adding new blocks starting with an ID of say, 1000, to avoid messing with existing mods.

I think it much more likely however, that they'll just continue from the current number (137?) and keep expanding upwards, but at an increased rate then before.

In other words, I think it likely that they will start intersecting with the existing block ID range of BTW much sooner than I otherwise would have expected. If I add new blocks now, it forces me to decrease that range even further, meaning that intersection will occur all the sooner.

This is a big potential problem for people that have existing BTW worlds, and we will likely need a utility that goes through a map and replaces all the existing block IDs with new ones. I don't know of any such utility at present, but the longer I can hold off having that happen, the more likely it will be that one will exist by that time (this is bound to be a problem that starts affecting many mods), instead of me having to write one from scratch to deal with these issues.

Putting a blockID-freeze in place right now is just a little preventative medicine on my part in anticipation of potential problems down the road. Once they put the extended block IDs into place, I can start adding new blocks at a number like "2220", unlikely to ever intersect with vanilla.
dude, i would honestly be ok with restarting my world for a mod as excellent as this one is, no complaint on my part
Never say no to Panda.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You might be, but we can't assume that everyone will be so forgiving and understanding. While I'm not one of them there are plenty of people out there like FlowerChild who have been playing in the same world since they started playing Minecraft. Some of these people started playing in Alpha. Being forced to start your world over when you've got that much time and effort invested in it is just bad juju.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I've noticed most forums people don't mind resetting that much, but I don't think that we're really a representative sample. And there's no real way of finding out what the non-forum people think.

As such, I think it would be criminal to risk damaging peoples saves like that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote:I've noticed most forums people don't mind resetting that much, but I don't think that we're really a representative sample. And there's no real way of finding out what the non-forum people think.

As such, I think it would be criminal to risk damaging peoples saves like that.
And I'm certainly not going to fuck my own save. It's a moot point.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

@jeb_
We've uploaded Minecraft 1.2.4: http://www.mojang.com/2012/03/minecraft ... -to-1-2-4/ (Full change list in launcher)

While I (jeb_) was away at Game Developer’s Conference and a short vacation, the new Minecraft members Dinnerbone, Tahg, Grum and EvilSeph were hard at work fixing multiple bugs in Minecraft 1.2. The patch contains mainly bug fixes, but we also threw in a couple of goodies:

Chat history
Much better chat editing and controls (you can even mark text!)
Some new decoration blocks

@ http://www.mojang.com/2012/03/minecraft ... -to-1-2-4/
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

Minecraft 1.2.4 Changelog (in spoiler)
Spoiler
Show
+ Chat history and much better chat editing
+ A few new decoration blocks
+ “Back” and “Quit” buttons to OutOfMemoryScreen
+ Made cats more realistic (read: probably annoying). I hope it’s enough to cancel out any joy you may receive from the previous feature!
+ Added a “minimal” debug menu for testing with. Shift+F3 to hide the graphs.

* Made placing half blocks on existing half blocks (to make a full block) easier
* Limit framerate on menu screens, no longer uses 100% cpu and make my computer melt
* Fixed fatal crash for converted worlds to anvil, when there’s blocks at max height
* Fixed an old bug with signs clearing text while you’re editing them in SMP
* Fixed crash when logging in while there are blocks at maxheight at spawn
* Fixed TNT ghosts in multiplayer
* Fixed storage minecarts dropping enchanted items
* Fixed crashes on invalid server addresses when joining a server
* Fixed entities being uninteractable if they existed at login (Multiplayer)
* Fixed dupe exploit with paintings
* Fixed furnaces and dispensers dropping enchanted items
* Fixed the “flickering” of chat as it vanishes off the screen
* Fixed text rendering over items in the container screens
* Fixed exploit with jungle saplings (turns other saplings into jungle ones)
* Fixed launcher opening minecraft dir if the path contains a space
* Fixed an off-by-one lighting bug
* Fixed block transmuting (turning one block into another via pistons)
* Fixed placing mushrooms in daylight, where they can’t survive
* Fixed redstone lamps dropping powered block items when destroyed while on
* “save-all” (server) now works even when you have toggled “save-off”
* Fixed turning half-blocks into full-blocks while you’re standing on them
* Fixed seed displaying in F3 debug when the seed is unknown (multiplayer)
* Fixed villager texture changing clientside per profession
* Fixed falling off ledge corners while holding shift
* Fixed players falling when reconnecting to servers where they were previously flying 
Nice fixes... no ID increases... so meh.
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ah well.

And now to endure 'update nao' spam. And to check out this new half slab placement thing which has me worried.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Oh fuck no. Guys, try crafting logs into planks in 1.2.4

...yeah, it's happened.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Wooden planks now have the colour of the type of wood they came from instead of the original wooden plank texture.
Coooool.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

Pics or it didnt happen! (dun wanna update atm)
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Stormweaver wrote:Oh fuck no. Guys, try crafting logs into planks in 1.2.4

...yeah, it's happened.
Can you imagine bloodwood planks, with blood drops falling from them :D
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

just looked on google and found this. looks like we have some new sandstone blocks.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

The great randomo wrote:Image
just looked on google and found this. looks like we have some new sandstone blocks.

god dammit... argh... there so pretty.... but i dont wanna update without BTW.... le' cry. meh, i can wait. playin around with steel atm anyways ^^
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I've gotta admit: With the huge amount of wood based structures I build, I'm loving the planks. This shall be fun.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

BinoAl wrote:I've gotta admit: With the huge amount of wood based structures I build, I'm loving the planks. This shall be fun.
no kidding, it'll add a much needed diversity to wooden structures and kinda even the field with the different types of stone
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Donzaffi wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Oh fuck no. Guys, try crafting logs into planks in 1.2.4

...yeah, it's happened.
Can you imagine bloodwood planks, with blood drops falling from them :D
If we stick with a fairly white wood with red detailing, I can get behind it.

I'm more worried about The vast amount of wooden items and blocks between vMC and BTW, and the general lack of consistency we're going to see as a result of this. Thankfully my faveorite wood type (birch) still looks somewhat bearable, but...I dunno man. There is a whole mod dedicated to adding new wood types and shades, complete with wooden item and block sub-types so it all matches.

I just can't see this being a good thing in the long run, unless contrary to their normal ways of doing this this move was actually thought out in advance.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

I've gotta agree that I like the new colours in the wooden planks. I also like the new sand stone blocks.

I love building with wood, building with sand stone looks like it might now be interesting to me as well.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

My fears with stone slabs are confirmed; now I have to break myself out of the habit of placing them against the top half of the block next to where I want them to go, since that now make a full block. Part of me is curious as to why this would need to be made easier, when only one kind of half block actually benefits from being stacked on top of itself.

Maybe this is all just me being in a pessamistic mood, but....ugh. Really mojang/bukkit? really?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Wait, does this mean no more fireproof wood walls by stacking half-slab wood?

Also, unless those wood types have matching half-slabs and stairs, I'm gonna be grumpy about this. I like where it's going, but it's not there yet.

Finally, FC, consider this an official request NOT to waste time updating to 1.2.4. I think we can all hold off until april 10th. I'm tired of spending more time updating my .jar files than playing the game.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Double post
Last edited by Sarudak on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I say don't update to the new version until they bring out the block ids.
Last edited by Sarudak on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

My thoughts on 1.2.4 from what I've read on the MC wiki's list:
Spoiler
Show
*The chat changes are useful, especially the recently sent message and c&p functionality.
*I hope that the decorative blocks (colored wood, decorated sandstone) are done with metadata and not with new IDs, since they still haven't extended the block IDs to 4096. The fact that planks are based on what wood they were made out of will be annoying for multi-type farms, though, since they won't stack with each other.
*Glad to see that running out of memory for MC doesn't mean having to restart it anymore.
*I don't really care about the cats - until they have a use other than scaring creepers, I'm not going to bother hunting for one.
*Good to see that you get the option to use F3's debug information without the graphs blocking your view.
*Not sure what the dupe bug with paintings was, and I'm assuming the block transmutation had to do with the setup with the two water flows.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hehe, I do like the cat thing though. Now if only they'd change the right-click thing to toggle between follow and wonder instead of follow and sit. Cats sitting still and never moving ever still feels weird.