Stuck on a redstone project

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
PlatinumBowser

Stuck on a redstone project

Post by PlatinumBowser »

Hey Guys figured I should say something on this board just to show i made it over too. I'm currently working on a redstone project until I can get the chance to downgrade for BTW (my 1.6.6 corrupted).

I understand redstone mechanics pretty well but often times I'll get to a certain point in a project and just sit there staring at trying to figure out the best way to continue that will provide the best results. Since BTW relies on redstone (and mechanical) pretty heavily I figured that a thread like this should be opened for people to come in and discuss discoveries and difficulties they have on their various projects.

My current project is a working slot machine using pistons and repeater clocks. I have the reels completed and working great, however now I'm sitting here trying to figure out the best way to stop each reel one at a time, then have a reset switch that wont lock out the clocks. Because as it stands everytime I load up the map the clocks are overloaded and i have to reset them by hand. In the end I'd like to have each reel stopped by a lever, and a button to reset all three reels.

If anyone has any suggestions please throw them my way. Or if your having problems yourself, I'm more than happy to help.
Last edited by PlatinumBowser on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fracture

Re: Redstone Wiring Help and Discussion

Post by Fracture »

Flowtrchild wrote:2) Avoid overly broad thread titles. If a user has a particular problem, they should create a specific topic to address it. Creating broad topics to encapsulate a wide range of subjects like "General Help" will just lead to unmanageable threads, If the community gets large enough to necessitate it, I'll create SubForums to handle such broad topics, but I'd prefer that for the moment we keep topics small and manageable so that their overall content can be surmised from the subject-line.
Just letting you know, one of the early decisions FC made was to avoid topics for people to post questions on a given subject, instead going for just making a thread when you have something to ask. Makes it easier on him and the Turtles in keeping track of who's having issues and who has had them resolved.

On-Topic, to stop the reels, have a solid block being used as a conductor, and stop the reel by having the input trigger a sticky piston to shove it out, disrupting the circuit?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

can i see a picture of what someone used for their elevator, im not good with complex or even slightly complex things with redstone
Urian

Post by Urian »

walker_boh_65 wrote:can i see a picture of what someone used for their elevator, im not good with complex or even slightly complex things with redstone
How many floors? An elevator with only 2 floors are quite easy but as soon as you add more floors than that you'll need a more complicated wiring to make the elevator stop at the various floors.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
walker_boh_65

Re: Stuck on a redstone project

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I think i could get two floors quite easily, i was looking for something with multiple floors
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

This should show you how to setup multi floors with buttons/detectors. No explenation in the sound though, so have to keep an eye on the redstone circuit! :)
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I think i could get two floors quite easily, i was looking for something with multiple floors
I've got an elevator with 4 floors and not too complicated, although quite compact, wiring.

Each floor landing looks like this (except the detector block, only the floors in the middle have DBs):
Spoiler
Show
To the left is the button to release the platform from a stop caused by the detector blocks and to the right is a lever that changes the direction of the elevator (made using XOR gates so no matter what the other levers are, changing the lever where you are will change the elevator direction
This is one of the vertical XOR gates :
Spoiler
Show
Well, actually XNOR gates but the part shown here is an XOR :p They are connected so that the output from an XOR gate is one of the inputs on the XOR gate above.
This picture shows some of the wiring for the release system:
Spoiler
Show
The middle line runs from the detector block up to the pulley at the top of the elevator. The line to the right is from the release button on the same level as the DB and the line to the left is the release line from the floor beneath, coming in to merge with the other release line.
This is the wiring at the top:
Spoiler
Show
It's a bit too cluttered to say what each line does but it should be quite self explanatory if you look closely.
Hopefully that helps :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

when..."that which shall not be named" comes out i guess i'll see
szmbiont

Post by szmbiont »

what i find most usefull for redstone wirering in this mod is for sure the block dispenser. easy transistor 4tw... made so much things easier for me.

In my opinion the best way to build an elevator is a simple rs nor latch for up/down and detector blocks at each floor for the break. It gets harder if you want a real elevator where you can chosse the floor you want to go at the beginning. maybe not even that hard with just some timer...
Urian

Post by Urian »

szmbiont wrote:what i find most usefull for redstone wirering in this mod is for sure the block dispenser. easy transistor 4tw... made so much things easier for me.

In my opinion the best way to build an elevator is a simple rs nor latch for up/down and detector blocks at each floor for the break. It gets harder if you want a real elevator where you can chosse the floor you want to go at the beginning. maybe not even that hard with just some timer...
An XOR gate is much easier than an RS NOR :p You can use both methods (I've got several of both in my test world) but an XOR makes for much more compact wiring. The main advantage of RS NOR latches IMO is that you can use buttons without any additional wiring required.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

/face-palm ive avoided redstone for much too long
szmbiont

Post by szmbiont »

Urian wrote:An XOR gate is much easier than an RS NOR :p You can use both methods (I've got several of both in my test world) but an XOR makes for much more compact wiring. The main advantage of RS NOR latches IMO is that you can use buttons without any additional wiring required.
I'm intressted in how u make a xor gate cause all xor i build up to now are more complicated than a simple rs nor. main advantage of a xor would be a defined output for two 1 inputs but in this couldn't happen in a 2 floor elevator. at least not in my designs...
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I am absolutely lost on the pictures you showed :(
I just tried setting up a very basic multi level with the following:

RS nor latch connected to the top gearbox to turn on/off.
At a certain height I had a detector block that was connected to a block dispenser to add/remove redtone in the circuit to the top gearbox.

This would make the elevator go up and down non stop at the detector block height. :P

I quite obviously don't have the knowledge (yet) to understand how to actually make this work. Does anybody perhaps have a good guide to read/watch? The few guides I saw on youtube (the one I linked earlier) are all magic to me :( (just visual, no explenation).
szmbiont

Post by szmbiont »

For a constant up - down movement you dont need the rs nor. A simple redstone torch would do the trick together with the block dispenser you described.
If you dont like the constant movement just let out the block dispenser and conduct the signal to the pulley for brakes.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

But how to make it "STOP" on a certain level? I don't understand the mechanics behind that. If I turn the gearbox on, it goes up - if it's turned off - it goes down.

So how do I make it stand still on a level not at the top or bottom?
Urian

Post by Urian »

FaceFoiled wrote:But how to make it "STOP" on a certain level? I don't understand the mechanics behind that. If I turn the gearbox on, it goes up - if it's turned off - it goes down.

So how do I make it stand still on a level not at the top or bottom?
Applying redstone power to a pulley makes it stop without lowering the platform.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

... genius! :D Power to the pulley, why on earth did I not try that? I always hooked up my circuits to the gearboxes :D.