Game nostalgia!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Poppycocks

Game nostalgia!

Post by Poppycocks »

List your favorite old games!

And don't be shy about mentioning the why's.
Awfulcopter

Re: Game nostalgia!

Post by Awfulcopter »

I liked MULE. It was the first game that introduced me to economics, and supply and demand. Plus it was fun to starve the fatty aliens.

I also liked DARKLANDS, a low fantasy RPG in dark ages Germany. I guess it was the first sandbox game I played extensively.
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

pokemon ruby. i was too young to play the gold/silver games when they came out, and ruby was the first game i played obsessively. i consider it a 'gateway game' for me, as it was my first game ever. :)
havent stopped playing pokemon since.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The Dig, Red Alert, Alone in The Dark series (before 4), Tomb Raider

Why.... they are all awesome :P
Red Alert, best strategy game I played.

I loved the puzzles in Alone in the Dark, and the Dig is just awesome in every aspect. Loved the puzzles, the soundtrack, and the story.

Tomb raider was... challenging :P I loved the level design, specially the Egypt and the Greek/Norse Mythology tower.
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Nitestalker7

Post by Nitestalker7 »

Top 3 I would have to say Chrono trigger (first rpg I ever played) Double dragon and The original simcity .Some of the best classics in my book.I am interested to see some of the others responses for this.
Flowerchild wrote:"Its like someone shot a cannon at a design document"
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Majora's mask, Sonic 3D Blast (I've heard the game was horrible, and it might have been, but it was my first game, and the music was AMAZING), Donkey Kong 64, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for GC (Probably one of the BEST coop multiplayer experiences ever, even if it was a semi marketing ploy), Pokemon Silver (generation 2 was amazing, had a lot of awesome features and the longest single player mode), Pokemon Stadium (Try to imagine loving an 8-bit black and white game and then playing it in 64-bit color), Custom Robo, and Super Mario 64. I'm sure I've missed a couple. The gameboy-n64 age was awesome in general.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Master of magic:
Fantasy TBS, one of the first I played. Nearly unlimited replayability, heroes, artifacts for them(which you can also create yourself), most units get XP's and levels, simplified dnd-ish system for combat calculations, a plenty of very diverse races and things to build, magic, powerful wonderful magical magic.

Quake 1:
Rocket jumps! Secret rooms, great variety of weapons, good old use-any-of-the-weapons-you-can-possibly-find and heal-with-medkits-lying-arround systems, Rocket jumps! Nice variety of monsters, with diverse tactics for fighting them (think that biggest weapon + biggest monster = dead big monster? Think again!) Rocket jumps! Secret portals to secret shortcut levels. Nice fast paced action. Wonderful environments. Great, dark atmosphere.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3:
Best TBS ever made. Period. Not even chess can match the wonders that is HoMaM3. Fantasy. Too many good points to mention in one go.

Tyrian 2000:
Best euro-shump under the sun. Not a bullet hell, don't have to dance around every bullet in a complicated balet which you need to memorize, yet enough of a bullet hell to keep your adrenaline up. Variety of weapons(plasma storm! Nuclear bombs!), secret modes, secret weapons, arcade mode campaign mode (pick the weapons as powerups in arcade - or buy them in campaign), 2 player co-op.

I'll probably add more later, but these are GOLD.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Awfulcopter wrote:I liked MULE. It was the first game that introduced me to economics, and supply and demand. Plus it was fun to starve the fatty aliens.
Wow! Somebody else who knows about that game. One of my favorites, too. Supply and demand FTW. I search for a no-frills remake every few months. Alas, nobody has taken that on.

Final Fantasy I (III), Final Fantasy III (VI) Epic RPGs
Final Fantasy tactics, used the same background, but was a pretty good tactical game along the lines of X-Com (oh yeah, that's another one)
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

The pokemon games were a personal favourite of mine but my brother stole all my handheld consoles/games and sold them for cannabis :(
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

The Neverhood - one of the best quest games I played..
Machinarium? Not really nostalgic, but sure feels like it.
The Day the World Broke - Another quest game.
Day of the Tentacle - I think you can understand what is my favorite genre.
Pokemon Crystal - Just another Pokemon game.
Myst series - I played them with my brother and my father. Awesomeness.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Panda

Post by Panda »

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Toejam and earl, Rai Star, Wonder Boy in Monster land (think that's the name), smash bros 64.

I was a Sega Lad.... : )
Never say no to Panda.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Gauntlet - I had this game for the PS1 and I have put so many hours into that game, the only two games I have played more would be skyrim and minecraft. This was kinda the one game both me and my dad liked so I was able to have some quality time with him, and still play games. It was really really great.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Oh yeah, I forgot about sonic, that was good but the quality of the games seems to have gone down...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Awfulcopter wrote: X-Com (oh yeah, that's another one)
FYEAH!!
Ufo: Enemy unknown and X-com 3 Apocalypse are wonderful games, as a matter of fact I've got a nice little superhuman game started in Apo. I love the hand painted graphics of Ufo1. It's got a really gorgeous vibe to it.
itamarcu wrote:The Neverhood - one of the best quest games I played..
Aaaah, completelly forgot about those! I tried to run Neverhood on my netbook a few months ago, might try again on my desktop this time.
Machinarium - not old, but the gameplay IS pretty damn good. So yeah, future nostalgia for me.
The Day the World Broke - don't know this one :(. I'll look it up
Day of the Tentacle - Played this one so long ago that the only joke I remember is the Benjamin Franklin one.

Others honorable mentions from adventure games: Monkey Island 1 and 2, The Longest Journey, Broken Sword 1 and 2, Gabriel Knight.

On an unrelated note, I see most of you guys used to play primarily on consoles. I guess that's one of the differences between the US and EU. It's not like we didn't have them here, but...

Also: PONG
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Poppycocks wrote:
itamarcu wrote:The Neverhood - one of the best quest games I played..
Aaaah, completelly forgot about those! I tried to run Neverhood on my netbook a few months ago, might try again on my desktop this time.
Machinarium - not old, but the gameplay IS pretty damn good. So yeah, future nostalgia for me.
The Day the World Broke - don't know this one :(. I'll look it up
Day of the Tentacle - Played this one so long ago that the only joke I remember is the Benjamin Franklin one.

Others honorable mentions from adventure games: Monkey Island 1 and 2, The Longest Journey, Broken Sword 1 and 2, Gabriel Knight.

On an unrelated note, I see most of you guys used to play primarily on consoles. I guess that's one of the differences between the US and EU. It's not like we didn't have them here, but...

Also: PONG
Oh, right! Monkey Island 3 is also really nostalgic for me. The Longest Journey would have been, but I only played it for the first time half a year ago.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The Longest Journey
Yeah, I forgot that one. I loved that game. Dreamfall too. I'm still waiting for the sequel.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I am about to feel old for some reason....I'll even list system catagorys, I would list a few Atari games but I don't remember names.

TurboGraphics16-Age 3-5
Bomber man: Always a classic not only one of the first games I played its also the first multi player game I played.

Blazing Lazers: OOOOHH Pretty lights ftw, first shooter, loved it, even snaged an emulater for it recently and its still a challenge.

Sega Genisis-Age 5-10

Sonic 1 through 3&Knuckles: Best Christmas gift ever, to this day 20 years later I am still a Sonic classic fanatic.

Earthworm Jim: If you didn't play it I cant explain it.

SNES-Age 7-10

Mario: Need I say more?
MegaMan: Something about him appealed to my love for star wars and just became a hook since, also have multiple emulaters for various of his series Classic and X up through the playstation days.

PC-Age 10-to now
Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries:First PC game ever, been hooked on anything giant robot since, be it Macross with thier Veritechs or even Gundam.

Warcraft Orcs vs Humans: Should be self explainitory.

Red Alert: As my step dad was a world war 2 buff any game set in that timeframe to this day has always held an interest for me, as a stratagy game well....lets just say I bought the big Collection thing with 9 Command and Conquer games in 1 recently. Always had a liking to the genre and always will.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Yeah, my first computer was a commodore 64, so Wonder Boy (very similar to Alex the Kid), Gauntlet, Breakout and Ghosts & Goblins are some of the first games I ever played.

Early PC gaming would be Myst, Commander Keen, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island series, Worms, I loved The Neverhood as well, all adventure games actually, King's Quest, The Dig (although I only first played it 14 years ago, rather than when it was newer), wow I could spend a while listing them. I Enjoyed Wolfenstein and Quake as well, but after Quake 3 most FPSs became either too flashy and distracting or just carbon copies of the same WW2 simulations.

Warcraft to me will always be an RTS, never could get my head around the idea of an MMO about it.

I never got a console till my wife and I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago, so can't comment on many console only games. I suppose one day I should count how many games I have at home, never got into trading them in, so have hundreds of CDs and DVDs.
scout37

Post by scout37 »

Probably Ground Control, Alpha Centauri, and then again Red Alert. I was really into strategy games and still am somewhat.
Living has been the #1 cause of death since time began.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

How did I forget gauntlet....I played the original and upwards, the ps1 version gave my dad, brother, and myself hours of fun every day.

Ima go play some Mechwarrior 3 after re-reading my post now.....as 2 wont run on newer systems without some 3rd party program that I dont have the time to figure out QQ, oh well, at least 3 is possibly the pinnacle that the series will ever reach...unless this reincarnation of Microprose is halfway decent then I might have hopes.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Hooray, this talk of nostalgia made me go and recheck and ScummVM is compatible with modern Android phones again, so now any Scumm based games can be played on it (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, King's Quest, Gobliins, Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Dig, Full Throttle, Sam & Max...).
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Super Metroid. Super Mario World. Mega Man X. My childhood, reduced to 3 fragmented sentences ^.^
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

god uhhh... Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, Lunar, Final Fantasy (all of them ^^), Wild Arms................ etc!
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Q-bert, pacman... I have a thing for arcade games.
And HOW!
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

I can't count how many hours I spent playing Seven Cities of Gold on my A1000. My ex and I spent many glorious hours mapping by hand the realm of Bard's Tale I and II and the realm of Britannia in Ultima III.

I bought my ex an SNES for our 5th anniversary and we spent many hours with Super Mario World, Clay Fighter and Mario Kart.