Diamonds aren't required for the tech tree, which bothers me

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
morvelaira

Re: Diamonds aren't required for the tech tree, which bother

Post by morvelaira »

Stormweaver wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:
Kain Magin wrote:ya, gotta love FC's sence of humor ^^
not to mention his sense of humor.
You're forgetting his sense of humour.
Silly Brit, with your extra u's.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

morvelaira wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:
Kain Magin wrote:ya, gotta love FC's sence of humor ^^
not to mention his sense of humor.
You're forgetting his sense of humour.
Silly Brit, with your extra u's.
Humour doesn't have an "o" vowel sound. All you have to do is say it aloud, and you can see why it is spelled with a U.

Or maybe you do pronounce it hew-more. There's no accounting for accents.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Awfulcopter wrote:Humour doesn't have an "o" vowel sound. All you have to do is say it aloud, and you can see why it is spelled with a U.

To be honest I'm waiting for America's education to decide that there is no reason not to cull a bunch of other letters from their dictionaries; are officially become r, you becoming u - sure you lose a bit of subtle pronunciation, but nothing to worry about right? Think of how much space you'd save in books this way; infact, think of all of the trees that wouldn't have to be cut down because people have to write less letters!

I mean, if you're going to do something silly like replace 'ou' with 'o', no need to just stop there right? :p
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Stormweaver wrote:
Awfulcopter wrote:Humour doesn't have an "o" vowel sound. All you have to do is say it aloud, and you can see why it is spelled with a U.

To be honest I'm waiting for America's education to decide that there is no reason not to cull a bunch of other letters from their dictionaries; are officially become r, you becoming u - sure you lose a bit of subtle pronunciation, but nothing to worry about right? Think of how much space you'd save in books this way; infact, think of all of the trees that wouldn't have to be cut down because people have to write less letters!

I mean, if you're going to do something silly like replace 'ou' with 'o', no need to just stop there right? :p
fun :D
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

Poppycocks wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:

fun :D
but i cant spell colour like color! its too wrong!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Stormweaver wrote:To be honest I'm waiting for America's education to decide that there is no reason not to cull a bunch of other letters from their dictionaries; are officially become r, you becoming u - sure you lose a bit of subtle pronunciation, but nothing to worry about right?
Hey, hey, hey! Don't blame America for that. That's the internet's fault. :P
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No politics guys. That includes criticisms directed towards particular nations, playful ribbing or no.
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

FlowerChild wrote:No politics guys. That includes criticisms directed towards particular nations, playful ribbing or no.
Politics: no.
Diamond-studded leather gimp suits: yes.

This is the kind of place a guy can come to and just relax.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

OneTripleZero wrote: Politics: no.
Diamond-studded leather gimp suits: yes.

This is the kind of place a guy can come to and just relax.
Hehe...sexual references know no international boundaries :)

Besides, the "no politics" rule is largely in place to keep me out of it. If I start discussing politics, this forum would be a smouldering ash-heap in no time.
EvilSheeper

Post by EvilSheeper »

WOW! My post served as inspiration for the mod title. My life is complete!

---
You sure we can't discuss politics, but if it starts to burn, it would get locked? This seems like a nice group and I wouldn't mind having an intellectual conversation/debate for once, not the 'commie, get out of my country'.
FlowerChild wrote:Let's not get into instructions on explosive manufacture guys. I've got enough problems without attracting the attention of law enforcement :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EvilSheeper wrote: You sure we can't discuss politics, but if it starts to burn, it would get locked? This seems like a nice group and I wouldn't mind having an intellectual conversation/debate for once, not the 'commie, get out of my country'.
No, definitely not. And please change your avatar. As I said: no politics.
EvilSheeper

Post by EvilSheeper »

FlowerChild wrote:
EvilSheeper wrote: You sure we can't discuss politics, but if it starts to burn, it would get locked? This seems like a nice group and I wouldn't mind having an intellectual conversation/debate for once, not the 'commie, get out of my country'.
No, definitely not. And please change your avatar. As I said: no politics.
That's all right, your forum, your rules.
Also, sorry about the avatar. Don't know what I was thinking there.
EDIT:Actually I think I understand. Let's just say doing an English assignment for several hours in a row, especially being my second language, really blunts up my judgement.
FlowerChild wrote:Let's not get into instructions on explosive manufacture guys. I've got enough problems without attracting the attention of law enforcement :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Besides, the "no politics" rule is largely in place to keep me out of it. If I start discussing politics, this forum would be a smouldering ash-heap in no time.
Steve's greatest advancement of the new age will be harnessing Flowerchilds political opinions to produce INFINITE POWER! :D
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

Stormweaver wrote:

You're going to look back on this in a few years, and the only thing you'll really have to say is, 'Ugh'. Sometimes it sucks when your modest proposal achieves fruition. More and more, people are omitting letters out of a combination of laziness, and developed bad habits, on increasingly formal documents, to the point where I'm seeing the odd resume come in where people have typed out some of the words improperly. Of course, I make sure these resumes head straight into the wastebin with the rest of the lot that don't even proof read their applications (Always proofread!). Watch Idiocricy sometime, if you haven't. Every year, I feel like we are getting closer to it, and I'm even up in Canada.

Back on top with the suggestion/complaint, I rather like the lack of a focus, or emphasis on diamonds. Of course, I play with better then buildcraft, so buildcraft seems to eat up what few diamonds I get (I don't have a quarry yet, and last time I got one going, it seemed to have a terribly hard time finding chunks with diamonds in them). I think what was previously mentioned, that BTW eats alot of resources that vMC doesn't is probably one of its strongest points. I would like to see them have a little more functionality, but preferably in less widely used things. Perhaps down the circuitry side of things, or something more like lenses. What about a prism, that when lense light passes through it, it would light the point where the light finally stops, on fire? Have the prism made of diamonds, or something like that. Getting away from tools being a chore to collect the resources for, I love. I have my cow/pig/sheep/chicken farm, and when I need more tools, I just pick some wheat, toss it to the cows, then once they have procreated, chop off a few heads, and throw the leather into the cauldron. Yay for glue.

Flowerchild, if anything, my comment should be taken as praise, for your focus on not making the rarest item in greater demand, but rather, for your emphasis on getting some of the less used materials to be used more, and other supplies which are quickly tossed aside, to have later practical applications. Keep up the awesome work.

Also:

Humour
Colour
Aluminum (Ah-Loo-Mih-Num)
Doughnut
Lol nope
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Diamonds are technically required, unless you somehow find a naturally occurring obsidian gate formation. But aside from that, I'm sure at some point diamonds will find their way into some more advanced stuff in BTW. Keep in mind that the tech tree is still in fairly primitive stages, historically steel is pretty darn old, there is a lot of advancement yet to develop and I cant wait to see where it goes. Plus, throughout history, diamonds really weren't part of a whole lot of technological advances early on, they were just shiny. Be patient and I'm sure diamonds will be more valuable as BTW progresses.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

Ribky wrote:Diamonds are technically required, unless you somehow find a naturally occurring obsidian gate formation. But aside from that, I'm sure at some point diamonds will find their way into some more advanced stuff in BTW. Keep in mind that the tech tree is still in fairly primitive stages, historically steel is pretty darn old, there is a lot of advancement yet to develop and I cant wait to see where it goes. Plus, throughout history, diamonds really weren't part of a whole lot of technological advances early on, they were just shiny. Be patient and I'm sure diamonds will be more valuable as BTW progresses.

I'll make a video at some point demonstrating how, with HCB, you can turn a small lava lake into a nether portal, so long as it is at least 5 squares of lava deep, in a 4x1 section, through dropping gravel or sand to measure depth, and using dirt to build a mold around the lava =)

It's really not that hard to do, so naw, you don't need naturally occuring obsidian formation luckily lol.
Lol nope
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Fair enough... though that is far more effort than just finding 3 diamonds and placing the portal in a convenient location.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

The second part of your observation, is really the key part. You don't get to choose at all where the portal goes; it's gonna be where you find a 5 deep lava lake. Could be interesting though, hardcore obsidian. Can be mined, but does NOT drop a block, is simply destroyed.

Paired with hardcore buckets, and considering you wouldn't have access to a spout yet, you'd have to work a channel of water down to your lava lake, and be very careful not to pour it in the wrong spot, lest you have alot of digging to do hehe
Lol nope