Ghast traps

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Ghast traps

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

So I just realized that the lens will make ghast traps a possibility. I am going to start building mine and post some pictures when I finish.
And HOW!
jorgebonafe

Re: Ghast traps

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:So I just realized that the lens will make ghast traps a possibility. I am going to start building mine and post some pictures when I finish.
Wow, thats genious! Combined with the ghast farm Battosay did, you can make one with a single arrow dispenser, that will always only trigger when the ghast flies in its path... I wonder how well that would work, considering the horrible ghast hit box...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:So I just realized that the lens will make ghast traps a possibility. I am going to start building mine and post some pictures when I finish.
Battosay made one ages ago, I don't see how lenses help with that
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
Battosay made one ages ago, I don't see how lenses help with that
He meant a natural-spawning ghast trap which automatically kills when it flies in front of the lens.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Humm... My post is invisible... Cool, how did I do that? XD
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gargantuan_Penguin

ok let me explain. my idea is to make an enormous area in the nether with lenses and detector blocks hooked up to BD's filled with arrows. I am trying to figure out a design that will shoot arrows, probably from above, wherever the ghast happens to be once he gets inside the kill zone. I am still in the planning phase so all of this is likely to change.
And HOW!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

So a checkerboard of lenses that see in a Z,X grid? Simple and gates can be used for the logic of triggering arrow dispensors at the detected coordinates. Of course the redstone from detector to dispensor could be a nightmare or at least expensive. What if the lens' were in the floor aimed at db in the ceiling? Then you would have the signal at the area the dispensor would need to be already. Vertical height wouldn't matter as the arrow would fall until it hit something. Of course you may have the ghast hitbox to take into account to determine the optimal lens and dispensor placement. Collecting the drops might be a pain as well. Obsidian pipes/hoppers/cauldrons might be your only options placed wherever the lens' aren't.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

THe problem I see with a vertical solution is that the detector and the dispenser would have to be in the same column to work, and you can't do that.

Now if your lens ran horizontal, and activated an entire row of vertical arrow launches, that could be wired easily. But that gets into a lot of wasted arrows. But if we put hoppers on the floor, any arrows that miss will be collected again, right? Of course, putting a lens and detector at every elevation is a bitch, but you don't have to. Each row of the trap can have the lens at a different height. Like so:

D D D D D D
L - - - - -
- L - - - -
- - L - - -
- - - L - -
- - - - L -
- - - - - L
H H H H H H

so you get a corridor that anything flying through gets arrowed and all misses get collected. with BTB you could even have it auto-reload
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:THe problem I see with a vertical solution is that the detector and the dispenser would have to be in the same column to work, and you can't do that.
No, it doesn't. DBs can see beams that are passing perpendicular to them.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Ah yes. What I once viewed as a bug is now a feature.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Ah yes. What I once viewed as a bug is now a feature.
It always was intended that way.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

meh. hook up a ghast spawner (dispencer + soul urn) to an auto soul urn crafter, add lense to detect ghast spawn. all hell breaks loose.
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Gargantuan_Penguin

Kain Magin wrote:meh. hook up a ghast spawner (dispencer + soul urn) to an auto soul urn crafter, add lense to detect ghast spawn. all hell breaks loose.
I *could* do that, but my whole reason for doing this is to harvest the natural ghasts using a field of lenses.
And HOW!
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

i dont know the exact spawn rates of ghasts... but wouldnt that be a waste of resources for minimal gain? tho... maybe using lens' as a tripwire to keep them "out" of an area would be kool. ive heard that ghasts spawn on the ground as well (dunno if true or not). meh. lol. its an interesting idea all the same. and the onle usesless contraption is:

FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Gargantuan_Penguin

with a big enough room I could have a fairly efficient system. and since ghasts fly around a lot it really wouldn't be that hard to set up enough trip wires to do a good job of detecting them. and if i have something like this running all the while as I build my nether base I could collect a very large amount of ghast tears while keeping the ghasts confined to one large area. and while it really isn't that useful it will be fun to build and use.
And HOW!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:
TheAnarchitect wrote:THe problem I see with a vertical solution is that the detector and the dispenser would have to be in the same column to work, and you can't do that.
No, it doesn't. DBs can see beams that are passing perpendicular to them.
Yes this would work. But what I had also thought of was 4 arrow dispensors on each side of a downward facing bd (either set higher or lower, however you want to arrange it). Ghasts are always moving and from detection time to the time it would take an arrow to hit the ghast, it may not be there anymore. A grid of 4 dispensors per lens should guarantee a hit, likely more than one. This could use some testing, next week if I get time I could set something up on a superflat to simulate a large ghast trap.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Top to bottom shooting should also mean easy arrows collection, since you can simply put hoppers right beneath the respective dispensers.

Although I'm not certain about how much the arrows would deviate when shot like this - never tried myself.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Poppycocks wrote:Top to bottom shooting should also mean easy arrows collection, since you can simply put hoppers right beneath the respective dispensers.

Although I'm not certain about how much the arrows would deviate when shot like this - never tried myself.
Here's a spread test. The gray wool is directly beneath the dispenser at a distance of 12 blocks.

Edit:
Here's a test at 38 blocks distance.
The previous test I would estimate a radius of 1u from the center, here it goes up to ~2u.
Last edited by Dr. Kylstein on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gargantuan_Penguin

my set up will be this on the floor

L=lens
H=hopper

H H H H H
H H H H H
H H L H H
H H H H H
H H H H H

the ceiling

BD= B
Detector block=D
netherack=N

N N N N N
N B B B N
N B D B N
N B B B N
N N N N N

this is not exactly what it will be as I haven't even started on the redstone wiring I will need to do, but it is the basic idea of floor= hoppers ceiling= dispensers. I just have to actually clear the necessary area and build it. I would already be done if I weren't doing all of it legit.
And HOW!
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
Spoiler
Show
my set up will be this on the floor

L=lens
H=hopper

H H H H H
H H H H H
H H L H H
H H H H H
H H H H H

the ceiling

BD= B
Detector block=D
netherack=N

N N N N N
N B B B N
N B D B N
N B B B N
N N N N N

this is not exactly what it will be as I haven't even started on the redstone wiring I will need to do, but it is the basic idea of floor= hoppers ceiling= dispensers. I just have to actually clear the necessary area and build it. I would already be done if I weren't doing all of it legit.
Looks like you're goin' for one hit kills. I'd go for a max of 4 BD's in an X pattern arround the detector.
Gargantuan_Penguin

hmm. I'll keep that in mind.
I guess the ghasts aren't exactly fast. I will probably use the "x" patter you suggested.
And HOW!
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:hmm. I'll keep that in mind.
I guess the ghasts aren't exactly fast. I will probably use the "x" patter you suggested.
Yeah, refilling all those dispensers without BTB would become a massive bore really fast.

That's I guess the whole problem with the idea itself.
Gargantuan_Penguin

true that. I could probably set up some redundancy with hoppers and some powered gear boxes, but that in and of itself would be a pain in the arse.
And HOW!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Will obsidian pipes from btb pick up fired arrows? If so this could be used to greatly reduce the number of hoppers needed as well as directly put arrows into the pipe system which can easily be fed back into the bd's.
Gargantuan_Penguin

SterlingRed wrote:Will obsidian pipes from btb pick up fired arrows? If so this could be used to greatly reduce the number of hoppers needed as well as directly put arrows into the pipe system which can easily be fed back into the bd's.
I am doing this pure BTW so while it would work I won't be doing it.
And HOW!