Cobblestone Generator/harvester

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DaDodsworth

Re: Cobblestone Generator/harvester

Post by DaDodsworth »

Teaser video!

magikeh

Post by magikeh »

DaDodsworth wrote:Teaser video!

-VIDEO-

GRAHHHH.... ME WANT SO BADD!!! looks great with the BD 'Eating' The Other BD BTW... very great ideas, man very great...
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Here is my original one:

This is from when a Dispenser PLACING a Dispenser resulted in them facing down. I can see your design however having a far greater output speed though. Nice work.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
DaDodsworth

Post by DaDodsworth »

Just made a huge stacked version, 60,000 blocks per hour :O
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

DaDodsworth wrote:Just made a huge stacked version, 60,000 blocks per hour :O
What are you going to do with that much cobblestone?
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
What are you going to do with that much cobblestone?

phalli as far as the eye can see.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
DaDodsworth

Post by DaDodsworth »

I'm bored, made one from bedrock to the sky, 173,700 block per hour. It laggy as hell so I'm not doing a factory of such :L
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaDodsworth wrote:Teaser video!

Just wanted to let you guys know that this design is the result of an exploit that I intend to fix.

The BD is not intended to be able to destroy blocks and dispense them in item form. I fixed another problem with this awhile back, but it looks like you managed to find a workaround.

Anyways, just to give you a heads up that such devices will probably stop working in the near future.
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

FlowerChild wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that this design is the result of an exploit that I intend to fix.

The BD is not intended to be able to destroy blocks and dispense them in item form. I fixed another problem with this awhile back, but it looks like you managed to find a workaround.

Anyways, just to give you a heads up that such devices will probably stop working in the near future.
By this, do you mean that a block dispenser shouldn't be able to empty out anything with items in them? Or just that they shouldn't be able to empty out other dispensers?

Kinda sad to see this functionality go, especially if it's the former. I just finished building a fully-automatic cauldron that empties itself periodically, moving the finished items into a nearby bin.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AgentPaper wrote: Kinda sad to see this functionality go, especially if it's the former. I just finished building a fully-automatic cauldron that empties itself periodically, moving the finished items into a nearby bin.
Yup, I already thought of that, and I wouldn't want to lose that functionality either. I just changed it so that if a Block Dispenser swallows another BD, the latter's inventory is destroyed in the process. I suppose I could have torn a rip in the fabric of space-time instead, but this will do ;)

This doesn't affect anything else swallowed by a BD, other than another BD. That behavior was just too open to exploitation for me to leave it in there.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

FlowerChild wrote:
AgentPaper wrote: Kinda sad to see this functionality go, especially if it's the former. I just finished building a fully-automatic cauldron that empties itself periodically, moving the finished items into a nearby bin.
Yup, I already thought of that, and I wouldn't want to lose that functionality either. I just changed it so that if a Block Dispenser swallows another BD, the latter's inventory is destroyed in the process. I suppose I could have torn a rip in the fabric of space-time instead, but this will do ;)

This doesn't affect anything else swallowed by a BD, other than another BD. That behavior was just too open to exploitation for me to leave it in there.
Yeah, that is a shame to see this functionality go. Back to the original design for my ice farm, I guess.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Creepig wrote: Yeah, that is a shame to see this functionality go. Back to the original design for my ice farm, I guess.
Nuff said.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

Point taken, though I have to wonder how badly his computer chugged. I'm going to guess "like trying to play Crysis" chugged.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Creepig wrote:Point taken, though I have to wonder how badly his computer chugged. I'm going to guess "like trying to play Crysis" chugged.
Yeah, but relying on performance issues to act as some kind of balancing factor would just be poor design ;)
DaDodsworth

Post by DaDodsworth »

The 60k version wasn't bad, the 177k version made it lag a lot though due to all the falling blocks, I do agree that is overpowered though, and this is a wise decision, I'm just a bit disappointed that it getting nurfed because it is pretty cool :P
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

FlowerChild wrote:

Couldn't the items just go into the other BD's inventory? That way, while you lose the ability to drop items easily, you add another functionality: The ability to move items around in a chain of block dispensers. Balanced in that it's kinda bulky, probably not much faster than most other transport modi, and it takes a crapton of mossy cobblestone.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AgentPaper wrote:Couldn't the items just go into the other BD's inventory? That way, while you lose the ability to drop items easily, you add another functionality: The ability to move items around in a chain of block dispensers. Balanced in that it's kinda bulky, probably not much faster than most other transport modi, and it takes a crapton of mossy cobblestone.
No, I'm not opening up any more loop-holes with the BD. This mod has a very primitive system of item transport through water channels and the Hopper, and I'm not creating features that compete with that.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FC

You make me sad. My Humble cobblestone generator design is now useless. Took me ages to get all the timing right. Seems inconsistent to have BD's destroy another BD's contents, but not a Storage Minecart. Seems like an extreme solution to stopping the creation of Cobblestone of which has allowed me to finally build my buildings without spending half the night mining for Cobblestone.

Oh well. Back to my Tree Generator i mean.... harvester.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote:FC

You make me sad. My Humble cobblestone generator design is now useless. Took me ages to get all the timing right. Seems inconsistent to have BD's destroy another BD's contents, but not a Storage Minecart. Seems like an extreme solution to stopping the creation of Cobblestone of which has allowed me to finally build my buildings without spending half the night mining for Cobblestone.

Oh well. Back to my Tree Generator i mean.... harvester.
I'm not preventing the use of cobble stone generators. The regular methods using a BD will work just fine. What I'm preventing is a massively imbalanced form of them that you can use to produce an absolutely ludicrous amount, and putting an end to an aspect of the BD that is likely to have many other potential uses in exploitation.

Anyways, I'm done discussing this one guys. Deal with it. You're coming very close to violating rule #3 at this point.

And btw, you can't automatically insta-grow trees like you can with cobble smart-ass. The decision not to allow bone-meal to be useable by a BD was also an intentional design decision to balance its power.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

lets face it Cobble auto farming was always going to be written out of the game like booster carts was. Yes it is a sad day but 9 X 64 is still better that 0 . And I'm shore there will be NEW shiny stuff to play with in 2.90 .
Durandir

Post by Durandir »

I don't see why you would need anything more powerful than the one in the original post anyway, which I tried out since I needed a lot of cobblestone for my Mob Grinder (need more dynamite!). I just let it work while I used up the two stacks I had, came back to four full stacks in each BD. Sure, once they are full you will have to empty them, but man... come on!
DaDodsworth

Post by DaDodsworth »

Unless you want to build a legit great wall of china, then i can't see any use for the auto-collection machine. It was more of a proof of concept than a functional machine.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaDodsworth wrote:Unless you want to build a legit great wall of china, then i can't see any use for the auto-collection machine. It was more of a proof of concept than a functional machine.
And don't get me wrong, I think it was a brilliant discovery and use of an exploit. HOWEVER I really can't let the mod decline into that kind of thing if I want to stay true to vanilla in any way, shape or form.

I've been trying to find a video that someone posted on the old MC forum thread of a tree-farm using another mod that constantly planted/fertilized/harvested trees at blinding speed effectively producing infinite wood with very little effort. I wanted to post it here as an example of the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid turning this mod into with these occasional tweaks.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, a link would be appreciated.
piemaster121

Post by piemaster121 »

FlowerChild wrote:If anyone knows what I'm talking about, a link would be appreciated.
Here is the video.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

piemaster121 wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:If anyone knows what I'm talking about, a link would be appreciated.
Here is the video.
DAMN!