MineMineCraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Stormweaver

Re: MineMineCraft

Post by Stormweaver »

I think I remember reading that the performance decrease for the full 256 world height is somewhat comparable to going from normal render distance to far, so it wouldn't hurt tons of people.

Large caverns with underground lakes and giant mushrooms where they belong would be nice though. And it pushes minecraft further in that whole terraria direction they've been going.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

If a mod like this existed I'd buy a pc that could run it :B.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

I'm also all for this mod, and you could also use the new block ID range for interesting effects (yeah I go to brainstorming mode everytime I like an idea).
Thinking that only smoothstone all the way would be monotone, a smart adding and generation of other harder metals would for example boost the vanilla techtree.
I'm thinking harder stone types (generated lower and lower) that require harder tools to break through (crafting downwards to softer stones could be a simple fix for those who needs their cobblestone), and if you want to be really mod-partial making the lowest levels only mine-able with steel could be a fun balancing (thinking about nerfing quarries mainly).

Terrain types, at least I hope it's feasible but some interesting things to add could be:
Chunks of harder material into softer not unlike the gravel and dirt deposits
Slabs, large flat formations of harder stones into softer (means if you can't dig through it, you could still try to dig around) maybe also generated above the required ore type for mining the slab.
A void zone just below the current bedrock level has always stuck in my mind for this kind of thing, an open space about 5-8 blocks high with almost no connections between floor and roof and also unusually hostile and runs unusually flat as far as the eyes can see.

Some ideas if you like them ;)
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
gungad

Post by gungad »

Would be nice some kind of rock or metal how can only be mined using explosives. So if you don't have explosives you have to mine around it and wait until you have that tech.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

CreeperCommando wrote:I'm also all for this mod, and you could also use the new block ID range for interesting effects (yeah I go to brainstorming mode everytime I like an idea).
Thinking that only smoothstone all the way would be monotone, a smart adding and generation of other harder metals would for example boost the vanilla techtree.
I'm thinking harder stone types (generated lower and lower) that require harder tools to break through (crafting downwards to softer stones could be a simple fix for those who needs their cobblestone), and if you want to be really mod-partial making the lowest levels only mine-able with steel could be a fun balancing (thinking about nerfing quarries mainly).

Terrain types, at least I hope it's feasible but some interesting things to add could be:
Chunks of harder material into softer not unlike the gravel and dirt deposits
Slabs, large flat formations of harder stones into softer (means if you can't dig through it, you could still try to dig around) maybe also generated above the required ore type for mining the slab.
A void zone just below the current bedrock level has always stuck in my mind for this kind of thing, an open space about 5-8 blocks high with almost no connections between floor and roof and also unusually hostile and runs unusually flat as far as the eyes can see.

Some ideas if you like them ;)
gungad wrote:Would be nice some kind of rock or metal how can only be mined using explosives. So if you don't have explosives you have to mine around it and wait until you have that tech.
Both are interesting ideas. You know, I think making this an expansion to better than wolves (requiring certain features from it) wouldn't be a bad way to go, considering that this would throw for a loop any mod whatsoever that generates any new terrain at all, so probably wouldn't be compatible with much anyway...
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
ArmyAirborne

Post by ArmyAirborne »

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote: Looks like it's going to be up to me to make a mod that relocates the expansion to BELOW the surface. Seriously, this game is called MINEcraft. And they've squandered this opportunity to let us dig deeper?
I think they chose to expand upwards into empty space as with some simple compression applied to the map-data, it shouldn't have any significant impact on performance. I don't think it's a matter of them choosing not to expand below ground simply because they didn't think of it. I think it was a compromise to allow people to build higher if they wanted to, while not messing with the speed at which the game runs.

Also, by doing it that way you won't break pre-existing worlds, theoretically.

All you are doing is adding 128 blank layers over what already exists, no need to re-generate the terrain.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Keep BTB in mind for the oil generation, though it even works with the bio sphere generator, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I suggest that "Deeper bedrock" or "Mineworld" be an added terrain generation type during world creation, just like normal or superflat. This is currently an underutilized feature of minecraft.

I really want there to be more options in that slot. I want single-biome worlds so I can make nothing but islands, or desert. I want floating island worlds back. And basically I think any mod that alters terrain generation should be implimented through this feature so that we don't have to uninstall the mod to in order to play other terrain types.

That said, if you go with huge cathedral caverns, consider being able to spawn in them. As long as they intersect with a mineshaft, you can get wood for early crafting easily.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

CreeperCommando wrote:A void zone just below the current bedrock level has always stuck in my mind for this kind of thing, an open space about 5-8 blocks high with almost no connections between floor and roof and also unusually hostile and runs unusually flat as far as the eyes can see.
I like this... Some kind of hellish biome on the very bottom of the world, completelly isolated and hard to break through. I imagine swarms of insectile killer creatures that come pouring out when you break through, requiring you to protect those passages into that biome with steel or piston doors (hatches or wodden doors would be easily broken) so they don't start to invade the rest of the world.

This really has a lot of potential for a new mod, and I agree that it been an expansion to BTW would be a good idea.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

I've always dreamt of floating islands in the sky, like the sky dimension on the top of the overworld, to make a sky biome.

[Back on topic]
How are you going to deal with the layer/s of bedrock at the bottom of the map?
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

if(y>5, y<0 && Block.bedrock found){
    Function.GET_RID_OF_FUCKING_BLOCKS == ACTIVATE!
}
Ye, there is no way in hell that code would work.
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
RaustBlackDragon

Blueblade11 wrote:I've always dreamt of floating islands in the sky, like the sky dimension on the top of the overworld, to make a sky biome.

[Back on topic]
How are you going to deal with the layer/s of bedrock at the bottom of the map?
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

if(y>5, y<0 && Block.bedrock found){
    Function.GET_RID_OF_FUCKING_BLOCKS == ACTIVATE!
}
Ye, there is no way in hell that code would work.
The bedrock is generated, I can just change where the game is told to generate it :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

This is actually something i've been thinking about, because currently, the underground in minecraft is best summed up using words involving "asinine" and "Horribly boring". Personally ,if it was in my hands?

First things first, completely strip out all of the underground features - Then start figuring out how to make it fun to explore things and add stuff back in. Personally, i'd go for making cave systems much, much rarer, but when they do happen, have them be really freaking big caves - giant caverns studded with waterfalls and little ore piles. Raviene that split from the surface all the way to the lava level. Strongholds and Mineshafts that are actually fun to explore, rather than some what arbitrary and random patterns. So on and so forth.

Basically, make finding a cave under ground exicting and inspiring - Not an annoying series of twisty little passages that dont really go anywhere and mostly look like a giant worm got super lost while having a snack.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Mrchaim wrote:This is actually something i've been thinking about, because currently, the underground in minecraft is best summed up using words involving "asinine" and "Horribly boring". Personally ,if it was in my hands?

First things first, completely strip out all of the underground features - Then start figuring out how to make it fun to explore things and add stuff back in. Personally, i'd go for making cave systems much, much rarer, but when they do happen, have them be really freaking big caves - giant caverns studded with waterfalls and little ore piles. Raviene that split from the surface all the way to the lava level. Strongholds and Mineshafts that are actually fun to explore, rather than some what arbitrary and random patterns. So on and so forth.

Basically, make finding a cave under ground exicting and inspiring - Not an annoying series of twisty little passages that dont really go anywhere and mostly look like a giant worm got super lost while having a snack.
I agree, I find the commonness of caves to be one of the worst parts of minecraft, I think mojang should actually do something with them, make them more realistic. but since thats never going to happen a mod that re did all of it would be awesome.
And HOW!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, I hate how common caves are. I think that should be changed.

Also when I used cubic chunks, it removed the bedrock, and extended the ground thousands of blocks below. I have no idea how to do it, but I know it is possible.

I also don't think monster spawning changes should have anything to do with the light level like Notch's old system, but with the rarity.

I also disagree with the void level on the bottom. I think it would become very annoying. Also, any chance you could remove bedrock fog?
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Gargantuan_Penguin

dawnraider wrote:I also disagree with the void level on the bottom. I think it would become very annoying. Also, any chance you could remove bedrock fog?
I personally like the fog :p but thats probably just me
And HOW!
CreeperCommando

Well anyway, the most important part IMO is to make a height-dependent variation for the player. In vMC there was never really any gameplay value in mining except when you dug into caves, mineshafts, ravines and occasionally strongholds....
I already feel like ~60 blocks height offers very low variation in vMC, imagine ~180 blocks! I suggested void level (mind you not fully seriously, only as a cool thought) as a form of a milestone and it being more dramatic helps with creating a feeling of the depth here. It doesn't have to be specifically a void-level but I appreciate more if the milestone aspect is at least considered.
Btw note I said how it was connected with current bedrock level? It would be a cool explanation why Steve didn't dig deeper than bedrock (if we ignore the inherent hardness....) (and also kinda retains the void below bedrock aspect).

TL;DR imo, gonna need more vertical variations

Another thing to think about that I don't think anybody has mentioned really is ore gen personally I like to throw two concepts

1. As I mentioned a bit before, creating more of a challenge in acquiring the ores by having them more frequent below or inside new rock-types that are harder to break. It would be a good way to stop current 'acquire stone pickaxes to dig down to bedrock level and on the second trip you have a iron pickaxe to dig out all the diamonds etc. you found' way of playing.

2. Ore distribution imo (yeah not original, but still have two cents). Creating incentive to build large mining facilities = good. Makes mining redundant as long as you get lucky and find a well placed vein = bad. Fully take away the vanilla system (random mini pockets) = imo, bad. Having heavier height limitations (especially now as ~6 types of ores to be distributed over ~180 blocks layer) should equal to good....

As I said before, only simple ideas, if you like them....
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I'd love the underworld to be a tad more dorforteresque. Several cavern layers. With fungywood and similar new flora growin' down there. New mobs, but most of all new challenges.

Icecaves would be nice as well.
Sirbab

Post by Sirbab »

I really like this idea, IMO it's far too easy to get 20 diamonds by battosay's strip mine technique. If say there were underground dwarf nps, there could be some really cool cities underground. back to a more serious note, there should be tech bottlenecks at certain levels IE if bedrock stays in current location PLUS a whole bunch more below, then steve would need to create lasers, or some very powerful tool to keep going downwards.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Sirbab wrote:I really like this idea, IMO it's far too easy to get 20 diamonds by battosay's strip mine technique. If say there were underground dwarf nps, there could be some really cool cities underground. back to a more serious note, there should be tech bottlenecks at certain levels IE if bedrock stays in current location PLUS a whole bunch more below, then steve would need to create lasers, or some very powerful tool to keep going downwards.
What exactly is Battosay's strip mining technique, as I have far too few diamonds for my liking.

OT: I think adding underground "biomes" would be a really cool idea. Giant caverns, underground mushroom one (w/ giant ones), city ruins, that sort of thing.
IGN: Camerinthus
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I just realized something funny.

We're all pretty much in agreement and most of the things someone adds feel like I thought of them before. Which probably means that pretty much everyone and his uncle is thinking this way.

Which leaves us with a pretty high chance that even several talented modders thought of this.

But it somehow just didn't happen - Why?

I'll warrant a guess: It's probably much harder than it sounds.

Crap.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Poppycocks wrote:I just realized something funny.

We're all pretty much in agreement and most of the things someone adds feel like I thought of them before. Which probably means that pretty much everyone and his uncle is thinking this way.

Which leaves us with a pretty high chance that even several talented modders thought of this.

But it somehow just didn't happen - Why?

I'll warrant a guess: It's probably much harder than it sounds.

Crap.
*realizes what this means*
damn... but it still has to be done, even if it means storming the headquarters of mojang and forcing them to do it.
And HOW!
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

CreeperCommando wrote:I suggested void level (mind you not fully seriously, only as a cool thought) as a form of a milestone and it being more dramatic helps with creating a feeling of the depth here. It doesn't have to be specifically a void-level but I appreciate more if the milestone aspect is at least considered.
What it needs is a soul-based K-T Boundary, a geological marker from the last time the Enderdragon rose and destroyed civilization. You dig a pickaxe into a block formed from souls laid down by an apocalyptic event, and you're going to have some trouble :)
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
RaustBlackDragon

OneTripleZero wrote:
CreeperCommando wrote:I suggested void level (mind you not fully seriously, only as a cool thought) as a form of a milestone and it being more dramatic helps with creating a feeling of the depth here. It doesn't have to be specifically a void-level but I appreciate more if the milestone aspect is at least considered.
What it needs is a soul-based K-T Boundary, a geological marker from the last time the Enderdragon rose and destroyed civilization. You dig a pickaxe into a block formed from souls laid down by an apocalyptic event, and you're going to have some trouble :)
...That... is... brilliant. Awesome idea!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Gargantuan_Penguin

OneTripleZero wrote:
I like that idea, maybe the only way through it would be soul-steel tools. and have the other tools break when used on it.
And HOW!
CreeperCommando

OneTripleZero wrote:
CreeperCommando wrote:Random gibberish[/b].
While I thought only about turning geological structures into gameplay, that story connection is good.... very good... I can actually see myself digging through this level and encountering old ruins of wooden planks (petrified or charred special blocks?) and cobblestone, and them having old chests of materials... or....

Maybe if RBD makes this BTW exclusive, how about these ruins from the ender apocalypse shows signs of BTW tech? For if we need steel-tools already, then we can't cheat the tech-tree anyway (If it's AoW and AoP, and not above steel tech)...
This would show signs of a selective destruction done by the enderdragon (especially if these layers shows signs of multiple destructions (local ~bigger than villages/ancient cities at varying depths)) where he kills of civilisations when they reach a certain level of technologies. Giving us an actual purpose for going after the bloody dragon... cause he'll soon go after us.....