Hemp will not grow into space in front of detector block

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
dawnraider

Hemp will not grow into space in front of detector block

Post by dawnraider »

I have an auto hemp farm that is using a single controller hemp to govern when to activate the pistons above. The main crop has gone through 3 growth cycles (I activated the redstone myself) and the controller hemp has not grown into the second block.

Here is an image:
Spoiler
Show
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Urian

Re: Hemp will not grow into space in front of detector block

Post by Urian »

Moved to tech support since it's not a bug (hemp will grow in front of a FB, tested with the latest version of BTW).

Are you using any other mods? The detector block's logic block might be causing the problem if another mod overwrites a file that relates to the logic block.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

look at the picture again, he seems to be using a lightstone block and not BTW light block. unless his texture pack makes them look like that.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

kregoth wrote:look at the picture again, he seems to be using a lightstone block and not BTW light block. unless his texture pack makes them look like that.
But then how would it have grown in first place? No, I think this is the case where the Detector Logic makes things grow slower for some reason.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
kregoth wrote:look at the picture again, he seems to be using a lightstone block and not BTW light block. unless his texture pack makes them look like that.
But then how would it have grown in first place? No, I think this is the case where the Detector Logic makes things grow slower for some reason.
Pretty sure hemp still grows 1 block even without a lightblock, could be wrong though. I personally have always used lightblocks, so I haven't had that experience.
IGN: Camerinthus
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Camerinthus wrote: Pretty sure hemp still grows 1 block even without a lightblock, could be wrong though. I personally have always used lightblocks, so I haven't had that experience.
You're wrong :)

Most likely cause of this is installing another mod that overwrites the world class.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Camerinthus wrote: Pretty sure hemp still grows 1 block even without a lightblock, could be wrong though. I personally have always used lightblocks, so I haven't had that experience.
You're wrong :)

Most likely cause of this is installing another mod that overwrites the world class.
Well I've only developed that thought from seeing various bug report threads, I've never actually tried myself, so thanks for officially correcting me. :)
IGN: Camerinthus
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

i hit something similar where trees of all sorts refuse to grow in front of a block dispenser. I tried making just a stack of 4 dispensers with no other blocks around the tree and it still won't grow. I'm not even using other mods.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

muggsbud wrote:i hit something similar where trees of all sorts refuse to grow in front of a block dispenser. I tried making just a stack of 4 dispensers with no other blocks around the tree and it still won't grow. I'm not even using other mods.
Really? You're not using TMI and grabbing the saplings out of there? That would do it.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

The only other mods I use are BTB, TMI, and SPC, though I think SPC overwrites the world class, and it doesn't work if you install BTW over it. So I think that may be the problem.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

Nope, at one point i had treecapitator, but i tried a clean install since then and the only thing i have is BTW and modloader. I tried using different trees and moving it around but no luck. I even tried bloodwood in the nether.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

muggsbud wrote:Nope, at one point i had treecapitator, but i tried a clean install since then and the only thing i have is BTW and modloader. I tried using different trees and moving it around but no luck. I even tried bloodwood in the nether.
You've definitely overwritten the world class with something, or not installed the mod properly man.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

wouldn't i have bigger problems than trees not growing in that case? I'm using every block available in the mod without problem, except for the trees.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

muggsbud wrote:wouldn't i have bigger problems than trees not growing in that case? I'm using every block available in the mod without problem, except for the trees.
Sure, Hemp wouldn't grow in front of it either, and a few other things would interact weirdly with it.

The thing is, if it's not happening it's still happening with BloodWood (which is mod-specific code), then the only thing I could see that would cause that is missing functionality in the world class.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

FlowerChild wrote:
muggsbud wrote:wouldn't i have bigger problems than trees not growing in that case? I'm using every block available in the mod without problem, except for the trees.
Sure, Hemp wouldn't grow in front of it either, and a few other things would interact weirdly with it.

The thing is, if it's not happening it's still happening with BloodWood (which is mod-specific code), then the only thing I could see that would cause that is missing functionality in the world class.
I don't know what the problem is since i've tried clean installs of MC with and with out BTW. Trees will not grow next to a tower of blocks. (all i have is a single stack of blocks 4 high on one side of the sapling. It's out in the open and well lit.)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

muggsbud wrote:Trees will not grow next to a tower of blocks.
Well, duh, that's vanilla behavior. Trees don't grow when there's blocks next to them.

Well, they sometimes do, but it's a rather complex system. Suffice to say that a 4 high tower will prevent a sapling from growing.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Well, they sometimes do, but it's a rather complex system. Suffice to say that a 4 high tower will prevent a sapling from growing.
Well, it will reduce the rate at which it grows, not quite the same thing. If you spam it with bone-meal, it should still pop-up after a time.

Also, this does not apply to Blood Wood, which is it's primary useful attribute. If it's still happening to him with Blood Wood, then something else is wrong.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, it will reduce the rate at which it grows, not quite the same thing. If you spam it with bone-meal, it should still pop-up after a time.
I don't think there's a tree that can grow with a 4 block high tower next to it, so no amount of bonemeal would fix that. Or am I wrong there?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: I don't think there's a tree that can grow with a 4 block high tower next to it, so no amount of bonemeal would fix that. Or am I wrong there?
You're wrong. My own (non blood wood) auto tree farm is almost completely encased and still functioning properly since I first made it:

The growth rate is extremely slow, but it's been chugging along all this time.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

Exactly, i've seen tutorial after tutorial of videos showing tree farms with saws and BD's next to them and the tress still grew when fertilized. at one point i made one with saws that worked, but it stopped at one point and hasn't worked since. Now i can only get a tree to grow if it's totally surrounded by air on all sides; BloodWood included. It's happening in both total vanilla (i deleted the entire .minecraft folder) and with just BTW (i don't use other mods anyway.) So i doubt it's a BTW bug, but i can't have tree farms. :(