Eureka! (part deux)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
grimper12341

Re: Eureka! (part deux)

Post by grimper12341 »

<.< I told you we were on to your tricks in the last eureka thread.

Post by 001010 »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
001010 wrote:Hmm, I'm going to guess either a new mob or a new liquid.

Of course I'll probably end up being completely wrong.
Yeah you might be right. The only systems I can't think of that FC hasn't touched is new mobs, mining, liquids, and boats. Unless I'm missing something obvious, its one of those four.
Wait, actually what am I saying? He's already made a liquid, cement.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Mmh that makes me think of the splitting capability thread which appeared not so long ago in the suggestion forum (which inquired for a way to separate things coming to a hopper in two different routes).

Anyway, we'll be amazed, we'll poop in our pants, & get caged in a dark room as always.
gungad

Post by gungad »

thekyz wrote:Mmh that makes me think of the splitting capability thread which appeared not so long ago in the suggestion forum (which inquired for a way to separate things coming to a hopper in two different routes).
You can do that using two piston.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Steam power is lingering around as possible feature for a long time now. Surprised noone came up with it until now.

FC even said, that'd be something he'd like to do.

Anyways, when I get back to reading here it might as well be already done. Gotta love fast iterations.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

The age of auto penetration is my guess
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

001010 wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote: Yeah you might be right. The only systems I can't think of that FC hasn't touched is new mobs, mining, liquids, and boats. Unless I'm missing something obvious, its one of those four.
Wait, actually what am I saying? He's already made a liquid, cement.
He's also made Mining Charges for mining, so mobs and boats seem likely. Though my bet is for something storage-related, though the hint may be a lie anyways.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:No. It's an entirely new system that delves into parts of the Minecraft code-base I've never touched before.
Keep this bit in mind guy's: It's not necessarily a feature he's never looked into before, but a whole segment of the code he hasn't messed around with; rationalising it as features that we as the player see I feel is probably futile.

That said, he's already touched on things like mobs (wolf and villager tweaks), plant growth, liquids...Only remaining major thing I can think of (as someone who hasn't looked at the code himself) is terrain generation, and I remember FC saying that he doesn't want to mess with that to prevent wreaking people's worlds if they decide to uninstall BTW.

So The only people who have a chance at coming close to guessing it would be peeps who have already messed around with Minecraft's code, or battosay.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Stormweaver wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:No. It's an entirely new system that delves into parts of the Minecraft code-base I've never touched before.
Keep this bit in mind guy's: It's not necessarily a feature he's never looked into before, but a whole segment of the code he hasn't messed around with;
It's totally creative mode. >.>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Let's get this party started.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I've been reading through MC code for a while and still nothing comes to mind as what he's got planned but boy am I excited.
Chuffy

Post by Chuffy »

FC has trolled us so badly lately he could tell us what it is with pictures and a description of how it works and I still wouldn't believe
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, here's an interesting clue for you:

I'm going to still be moving ahead with this feature even though I've just put a complete halt to adding new blocks to the mod before MC 1.2 comes out :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

For the people who don't know the code base: this implies it's an entity, meaning either something like windmill/water wheel or a mob. I'm guessing mob :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Dr Ug

Post by Dr Ug »

My guess is a rat mob. In order to provide a ready supply for the cats when they arrive.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

So we're talking multi-block systems, items or something more fundamental, perhaps? Mobs seem unlikely to me as he has touched upon mob AI before viz. the breeding improvements
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

FlowerChild wrote:Actually, as I've mentioned before, I do have some plans for the inclusion of mobs in BTW at some point. I don't really view the mod as being focused on one specific thing, as much as I view it as somewhat of an expansion to the vMC experience. As such, I really tackle whatever aspects of the game I feel are most lacking at any given time. Up until now, that has largely been the technical side of things, given how little time Mojang seems to spend on that aspect, but I can also see that not always being the case.

I personally think that mobs should act as an incentive to build. It's doubtful I would ever work on mobs that would be combat focused, boss creatures, general fluff, or whatever. Rather, I'd be much more inclined to create mobs that force the player to think about defensive structures.

It's a bit premature for suggestions for mobs though. It's the kind of thing I'm taking a long time to ponder before doing any implementation, and I generally like to do such thinking in isolation.

There was the post in the suggestion forum were I said that I would like a more challenging mob.

Also he said that he learned alot while coding the lens....so maybe he had to learn how mobs work for a feature of the lens and just decided to add a mobusing his newfound knowledge.

Of course this is all just speculation.
My first world is from the free to play weekend on sept 18 2010 and I still play it everyday.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

It is not a mob I am pretty sure of that, I doubt FC is touching mobs when 1.2 isn't out and he doesn't know the kind of changes mobs will be getting.

My best guess is Battosay was right, or at least on the mark. FC is trolling us all by making it look like he was wrong. It's liquid based as that is the only MC base code I think he would be willing to modify or work with before the new version comes out. Maybe my Screw Pump suggestion is being implemented (I wish! lol)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nah, that was my second choice actually. I think I found what it is, and that one of you already said it ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Nah, that was my second choice actually. I think I found what it is, and that one of you already said it ;)
I'm such a nice guy (and so love tormenting you), that I will say that not a single guess so far has been correct.

This feature is obscure enough and so completely out of left-field that I highly doubt anyone is going to guess it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

My guess is it's something to do with the weather, or some other environmental thingymabob.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

FlowerChild wrote:This feature is obscure enough that I highly doubt anyone is going to guess it.
Probably the most exciting line in this whole thread.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

OneTripleZero wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:This feature is obscure enough that I highly doubt anyone is going to guess it.
Probably the most exciting line in this whole thread.
Agreed. I know it is likely far beyond me, so I shall stop guessing. *prepares mega squee for when it is revealed*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Now I'm just going to go ahead and bring out the retorical analysis here. He said it's code he hasnt ever touched before. That leaves the possibility for him making something comepletely new. And it being so far out in left field also implies that as well, I think everyone here has seen the suggestion thread....
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

Prepare for trouble.

he said the next thing is not a block.
The guess about boats and mobs were wrong, soooo.

My next guess is weather, or

or

or

a new mode of transportation be it for the player or whatever. I personally hope for a hot air balloon since we have most every element needed.

(cloth and tallow for the balloon, hibachi for the heating element, wicker basket and plenty of rope.)