A question for cat owners...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Johnnyboy

Re: A question for cat owners...

Post by Johnnyboy »

Folrig wrote:
Johnnyboy wrote:But then you get criticized by the other cats for not being cool.
Hold on.

Cats smoke catnip? Where have I been?

Do they smoke Friskies too?
Clearly not on the internet.

Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

@OP: Woah really? That ad is ... uh .. . very american I guess ^^ I'm glad we don't have frieskies here (at least they don't advertise) and I don't watch much TV in generall anymore. To the point though: One of our previous cats liked it alot but never went batshit crazy over it, none of out current cats seems to be affected by it in any way. They only get the dried stuff though, but I'm not sure if it's effects are weakend by that (even though I guess they should).

Urian wrote:Creepers have been described as being kinda plant-y. I suspect they consist of catnip or something similar. No wonder they are afraid of cats, those cats will eat, lick and hump them!
Now I need a mod that makes the creeper repellant feature into cats chasing creepers and start humping them. Omg, I just had an epiphany that makes the previous green phalli and pussy cat jokes even stranger .. I wonder if the guys at mojang thought about that.

Horizon wrote:Well, you cant smoke catnip, but you can smoke a relative of catnip. Very cool, very legal, very easy to grow in a planter.
Whats it with the smoking? It's kinda strange that people feel the constant need to point out you can smoke stuff (or in this case can't) when in reality you can smoke litterally everything as long as you can change its aggreate state to either beeing that of a gas or floating microscopic particals in air.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Holy crap... when I get home I'm eating my cat's food.

I'll see all you kids in Adventure Land! ;)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

This is your cat:

This is your cat on catnip:

When I was a kid my mum grew catnip in the garden. Yeah, my cat liked to "hang" there. That first catnip video had me rolling.

@FC you hit the perfect analogy to why cats on catnip = so damn funny.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

gftweek wrote:We have a tunnel that we spray with liquid catnip, one of our cats just goes and hotboxes in there. The other cat seems entirely unaffected by catnip, but then he is already daft.

The odd thing I've noticed with catnip is sometimes it just chills them out and sometimes they just go mental.
About 25% of cats have different chemical recptors and are unaffected by catnip. The odd ones out tend to have a similar reaction to honeysuckle.
Better is the enemy of Good
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

Speaking of cats, and psychoactive substances in general: We have a cat name Smokey, for his grey coat, and also more appropriately for his demeanor. If you ever met this cat, you would swear he's on something. He can go from being very mellow and quiet, to being spazzy and vocal. It's quite amusing to come home and see him frolicking about, meowing at you for attention. It's also somewhat amusing (though a bit more irritating) when he climbs into your lap when you sitting at the computer, as he has currently done. It ends up being less laying on your lap and more of him simply laying on you.

I'm now lying nearly fully reclined in my chair, with about 12 lbs of fur and fat resting on my chest. ><
And, he just decided to leave. Thank goodness... I was having trouble breathing for a moment.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Panda

Post by Panda »

Folrig wrote:So, I see this Friskies commercial all the time here.

At home, at work, places I go...It may be following me.

My question:

Do cat owners feed their cats LSD all of the time or only some of the time?
i grow cat nip for my kitterz Mr. Cocoa. He lovvveeesss me (it)!
Never say no to Panda.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

DaveYanakov wrote:About 25% of cats have different chemical recptors and are unaffected by catnip. The odd ones out tend to have a similar reaction to honeysuckle.
Yeah, so I see from watching the infotainment video linked above. There must be a honeysuckle scent in our cat scratching post then, he often goes crazy for a couple of minutes after scratching that. I think I'll keep him off the friskies though, I like to wake up with my organs intact.
redrew89 wrote:I'm now lying nearly fully reclined in my chair, with about 12 lbs of fur and fat resting on my chest. ><
And, he just decided to leave. Thank goodness... I was having trouble breathing for a moment.
Luckily our other cat isn't a lap cat, he's 16 lbs (mostly muscle), and he's not even a large breed, just an average moggie.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

My 20 pounds of fur and muscle unfortunately is, particularly when I've been away for a few days. Second most annoying thing about these two. Most annoying is that when I explain Bela is named that way because he resembles a vampire, people respond with "Oh! I loved Twilight!". And then I have another body to hide.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Yeah, I hate my peers too.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Interesting fact about cats:

Many carry a parasite known as Toxoplasma gondii.

This is the same parasite that makes changing cat boxes unhealthy for expecting mothers, as it can cause birth defects.

Toxoplasma gondii is also capable of many other dastardly deeds. It has the ability to re-wire its hosts brain, rendering them less averse to stimuli that would normally trigger a fear response. E.g. A rat infected with the parasite may suddenly find itself completely unafraid of its mortal Feline enemy, and in some cases will scurry straight into kitties jaws of its own accord.

It has been theorized that Toxoplasma gondii may also have a similar effect on humans...

DUH, DUH, DUUuuuhm.
*Dramatic re-verb*
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

*puts gun in mouth*
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Horizon wrote:*puts gun in mouth*
Dude? Really? o.O
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

The parasite means zombies. I do not like zombies. Ergo, I would rather die than face zombies. Hence the gun in mouth.
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

Horizon wrote:The parasite means zombies. I do not like zombies. Ergo, I would rather die than face zombies. Hence the gun in mouth.

I would willingly face zombies, provided I had the following:

1 M14 Assault Rifle + Rounds
2 9mm Handguns + Rounds
2 24inch blade machetes
1 36inch blade katana
5 pineapple grenades

In addition:

My car, a 1999 Ford Mustang, with the following additions:
1 Supercharger kit
1 front-mounted push-bar (Don't wanna smash my bumper with undead skulls.)
Re-enforced glass for the front and rear windshield, passenger and driver-side windows
1 steel roll-cage

I might consider exchanging the sports car for a more hefty vehicle, but I also consider fuel to be a commodity in a zombie apocalypse. While my car won't be getting the same mileage as, say, a Prius, it would still be better than an H2.

Wait, we were talking about cats, right? Mine's back to his usual hijinks. By that, I mean that he's been resting all cute-like on top of me while I type this.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
echo off

Post by echo off »

it turns out that cat's really freakin' like kangaroo meat. no shit, they get addicted to it, and refuse other food once it becomes part of their diet. kangaroo meat is actually pretty cheap here in australia. kangaroo's are still considered a 'wild pest' in some parts of our country, and culled to ensure they don't decimate the landscape (aka farmland [aka decimated landscape]) and you can get it at roughly $10 per kg, compared to at least $20 per kg for beef, pork or lamb. one of the cat food companies realised these two facts meant probably profit increases, and got going with putting some roo meat in all their products. it worked well, and actually spread internationally. soon, all cat's will want roo meat food, and while there's still enough roo's for it to arguably be sustainable, more and more companies are realising the power kangaroo meat has on cat's, and are including it in the sludge that gets pressed into chunks of meat for pets. i'd say in australia, more than half the cat owners feed their cat's with food containing some kangaroo. and considering it's kind of a drug for cats (i swear, when i give my cat slices of roo meat from my steaks, it's eyes go super dilated just from the smell of the blood [roo meat has like <1% fat, and is generally tastiest when cooked rare]) then the answer to the OP's question is yes, we do drug our pets up... at least where i'm from, and perhaps not knowingly (unless you consider all the chemicals used to process/preserve the food as drugs, which you probably should, considering they kinda are).
/end rant
*pets cat*

edit: update - cat meowed, yawned, stood and stretched, turned around, lay back down and curled up in a ball... so i petted her again XD
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Sometimes cats like weird things. One of my cats is addicted to sweet potatoes while the other loves corn flakes.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Mine likes shitting all over the clean laundry.