Charity

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Charity

Post by Battosay »

So, since a couple of months, I started getting small money from my youtube videos. I just received the first payment, which was around 150$, and decided to give it to charity. Since I'm about to get into the partners program, that's gonna be a regular thing.
At first I thought I should send it to FC himself, but I know that, just like me for my videos, he's not making his mod to get money out of it. And getting some would actually have a negative impact.
Which is why charity is the obvious choice right now :)
So, since that's something that I'm gonna do every month, I wanted to ask you guys, and even more, you FC, which charity do you think I should give money ? Which one do you know is trust-worthy, and would make good use of their donations ? (because, let's be honnest, a lot of them are just tryin' to make money and scam people)
johnt

Re: Charity

Post by johnt »

Medicins Sans Frontieres.

http://www.msf.org/
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

johnt wrote:Medicins Sans Frontieres.

http://www.msf.org/
This would exactly be my first choice. Other than that, I would give to medical research of some kind. My bias would be neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's or Alzheimer's.

Great on you for doing this Battosay :)
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That's a very nice gesture you're making there man.

My personal vote would go for Amnesty International. Recent controversy aside, I think it is one of the most important non-profit organizations around.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

For a broader charity, I'd definitely suggest MSF. However, a personal runner-up for me has been charity: water as of late.

On an off-note, who are you getting partnered by, if I may ask?

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

That's really awesome. You have my utter respect :)

"So, what's your life like Batto?"

"Oh, you know, I cure AIDS by day and play videogames for charity in my free time. Nothing major."
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Now I know that bigger charities get a lot more money, and can do more because of that. But how about helping out a smaller one? I volunteer at this large animal shelter, and let me tell you, 150$ goes a very long way here. That's quite a lot of hay, and more animals that can be rescued.
http://www.edwardsanimals.com/
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Honestly, I cant think of any charities that I would give money to that aren't local - that I wouldn't work with myself. If it were me, I would probably just save it up and visit the people I enjoy talking with here - but if it had to be donated, it would likely go to an animal shelter around here. Fitting, no?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

morvelaira wrote:Honestly, I cant think of any charities that I would give money to that aren't local
Local charities need support :). It's much more important than big charities, since it encourages social interaction with said charities. If you support the local soup kitchen, you're much more likely to help out one day too.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

i'm with FC Amnesty is a great cause
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I agree that a smaller charity/cause would need the money much more, plus probably put them to good use..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I don't know whether the Indie Fund takes any donations, but if I had money I wanted to give to charity I'd dump it there.

From gamers, to gamers, right?
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

My first reaction would be the Parkinson's society, since someone very close to me suffers greatly from it, but you might be better off donating to smaller charities to begin. I suggest you change every week, then it will be more evenly spread.
I greatly respect what you are doing, and I'm sure it wil be worth it.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
DragonFire2876

Post by DragonFire2876 »

wow how the heck u making so much money out of youtube? but ya its nice to see the selfless people out there :D if ya religious most of the local church's help out alot in the community so giving them a small paycheck helps them continue good work
all procrastinators unite...............................tomorrow
echo off

Post by echo off »

i know you're not asking me, but it's something i feel strongly about. in my opinion, the first place you should put your charitable efforts are those close to home. it's not because you can see the benefit, or get credit for being nice... it's because when others see the selflessness of true charity, they become inspired, and more willing to be charitable themselves. so if it was me, i'd donate to local soup kitchens, or homeless shelters. of course, i'm in a first world, progressive, economical powerhouse of a country (australia = minerals), so the issues i see might be different from those around you. perhaps supporting local organic farms is just as important in your area, and so maybe giving the money away isn't the best move.

that's all i really want to point out... sometimes, the ego helps us start something bigger than ourselves. and charity is perhaps the thing you have to be most careful both of, and with :)

/takes off tin-foil hat XD
johnt

Post by johnt »

DragonFire2876 wrote:wow how the heck u making so much money out of youtube? but ya its nice to see the selfless people out there :D if ya religious most of the local church's help out alot in the community so giving them a small paycheck helps them continue good work
You can make a lot of money from youtube -- Yogscast are almost certainly pulling down 6 figures from their youtube videos. A lot of starcraft channels make that much, too.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

I know that everyone's personal charity of choice is different, but if I made extra money, my cash would go to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. As a heavy sufferer of both of the diseases, I would love for them to make any breakthrough they could. Not for my sake, but for the future patients of the disease, possibly my kids when I'll have them in the future, and anyone else who suffers the disease. I know it's not a widely known disease, but I've known someone who's passed away due to cancer caused by Crohn's, and the fact that it's not widely known keeps a lot of people from donating.

But I understand in your position, it would be much wiser to donate to a local charity (like soup kitchens, homeless shelters, the likes that everyone else has mentioned.). Absolute respect for putting forth that money to those in need, it's great to have people who are selfless nowadays. :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Actually, since the people watching my videos are spread all around the globe (like, really, all around the world : Sri Lanka, Quatar, India, Japan, Hong Kong, Panama, ...) I'd rather give that money to an international charity.
That's why I asked you guys about that, I already know about local charity close to where I live, but that's not what I'm looking for now :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Battosay wrote:Actually, since the people watching my videos are spread all around the globe (like, really, all around the world : Sri Lanka, Quatar, India, Japan, Hong Kong, Panama, ...) I'd rather give that money to an international charity.
That's why I asked you guys about that, I already know about local charity close to where I live, but that's not what I'm looking for now :)
Well, if that's the case, after giving it some thought I a have great amounts of respect for both MSF and Amnesty International as suggested above. I also approve of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for the work they do with AIDS and Malaria.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

In that case I'd go with Amnesty international. Our society bleeds heavier than our bodies do these days..
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:In that case I'd go with Amnesty international. Our society bleeds heavier than our bodies do these days..
Well said. My personal viewpoint is that we'll kill ourselves before anything external does if societal evolution doesn't rapidly catch up to technological.
RenEvo

Post by RenEvo »

First of all, I applaud you, I thought I was the only one that did this :)

I usually donate to the childrens hospitals, but if you are looking for an international one, Amnesty is probably your best bet.
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, for international, go with a societal charity like Amnesty or MSF, which I prefer over environmental charities (it's absolutely vital that those receive funds locally, because of a plethora of reasons).

Also, one more endorsement for Bill Gates' charity, the guy knows what he's doing
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: Well said. My personal viewpoint is that we'll kill ourselves before anything external does if societal evolution doesn't rapidly catch up to technological.

EXACTLY my thoughts. We do have the tech to make earth a lovely place to live for everyone, we just don't want to do it.
War..
War never changes.

Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)
So the first one went to Amnesty, and the next one will be for MSF, the Red Cross and Bill Gate's fondation :)