Eureka!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
morvelaira

Re: Eureka!

Post by morvelaira »

Ok, so it's early enough, I hopped and watched both "A New Age" videos on my mobile before thinking. WhatMs /really/ funny is that the ads at the bottom of both videos were all for high-end dentists.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

FlowerChild wrote:
Husbag3 wrote:Yeah, I'd love to hear how your making headway with your "Eureka" moment.
Well, my concentration is currently affected by this tooth situation I have going on, so any form of time estimate I could provide would be grossly inaccurate.

Not that I'd provide one anyways :)

If it helps any, I strongly suspect this new feature will be ready for release within the next six months ;)
Now you're making it sound like a block which captures the energy of loose dream particles and builds your dreams whilst you're sleeping.

Hope, it's not another fetish accessory.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Poppycocks wrote: Hope, it's not another fetish accessory.
I hope it is.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Fursuits would be much appreciated.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

ilovekintoki wrote:Fursuits would be much appreciated.
Wrong fetish.

If I'm right in assuming the clues describe more the character behind the new feature and not it's utility, my bet is that it's the framework behind the new age's 'power' system; possibly a finite one.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Panda

Post by Panda »

yiff yiff
Never say no to Panda.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Stormweaver wrote:
Wrong fetish.

If I'm right in assuming the clues describe more the character behind the new feature and not it's utility, my bet is that it's the framework behind the new age's 'power' system; possibly a finite one.
I get the impression as well, especially with the Coffee and Cigarettes video (great tease, I haven't watched that in a wall). Especially w/ the Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, etc. booze, coffee, cigarettes, "in the death car, we're alive".

The second video teaser was hilarious, I hadn't seen that one before.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

orangeweaver wrote:The second video teaser was hilarious, I hadn't seen that one before.
Hehe...my birthday of last year I wound up in an unknown rockabilly/punk bar in an unknown city downing shots of Jameson, and convinced the DJ to put on Thirsty Dog.

A woman that had been bugging me to dance earlier in the night came out to join me on the floor, but when she got a load of the old-school ska-style stomp I was pulling, which did not at all lend itself to dancing with a partner, and started to clue into the lyrics of the song, she nervously retreated to a far corner of the bar and avoided me for the rest of the night.

Good times :)
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Ahaha! And that, boys and girls, is the way its done! I love putting on music that no one in the room knows how to deal with / let alone dance to and just going to town, a nice tumbler in hand!
Zottel

Post by Zottel »

FlowerChild wrote: Now how do you think I feel about raising expectations?
Now I think, it is your inner nature ^^

Nice Soundtrack by the way.....
Sorry for my bad english....i am not a native speaker :(
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:Hopefully less of a pain to code I hope.
Yeah, I don't think it'll be as bad. The main technical challenge is that I'm trying to cram what would normally take at least 8 bits of meta-data into the 4 that the game provides (the only other alternative being to use a Tile Entity, which would be totally unreasonable for this application). The eureka involved how exactly I can do that, however, it complicates the code a great deal as I have to special-case a ton of situations based on the limited information I have stored.

It's one of those features that won't look all that complex unless you're a programmer and find yourself wondering "how the fuck did he do that?". However, it will remain very cool for everyone else, and hopefully even on low end systems given my choice of implementation :)

Speaking of Pulleys & Platforms, anyone else notice how a conceptually similar feature has turned into a development black-hole for a certain modder? Hopefully that serves to explain why I limited my own implementation to keep the scope reasonable :)

I have to wonder if we have Spacechem to thank for this
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I seem to be over the hump with the new feature. All the basic functionality is in place and working well, now it's just down to polish and handling a few exception cases.

My teeth seem to be finally easing up on me, so I was able to get a few good solid hours in on the mod today. No ETA of course, but progress is definitely being made :)
echo off

Post by echo off »

is it gas? like so there's smoke and methane and air can have attributes like scents and heat and mixtures of gases? and then maybe actual steam so you can start making real steam engines? and have snow and rain that is naturally occurring, and clouds that are real and dung can be used to make a methane farm for powering you hibachi and tree leaves can purify the air? is it that? are you sure?

ok i've had my 'excited child' moment for the day
glad everything's coming along nicely :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:No ETA of course, but progress is definitely being made :)
*squeelette*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

echo off wrote:is it gas?
I've got gas.
echo off

Post by echo off »

*can't... decide... happy or... smelly... or...*

oh of course. smart ass ;)
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlowerChild wrote:
<checks OP>

Oops. Yup, that's the constant pain I'm in right there. No patience to read over what I've just written most of the time, so you guys are stuck with my typos ;)

Anyways, will be seeing the dentist tomorrow, so hopefully it'll be resolved shortly.

BUT, I am excited enough about this feature that I'm working through the pain regardless ;)
pretty soon you're gonna realize that the pain is helping give you such great ideas and that its better to learn to enjoy it! ;P

echo off wrote:*can't... decide... happy or... smelly... or...*

oh of course. smart ass ;)
You forgot Funny. :)
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
echo off

Post by echo off »

hehe, my dentist calls it happy gas, but it's really just pure oxygen i think :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

echo off wrote:hehe, my dentist calls it happy gas, but it's really just pure oxygen i think :)
Wouldn't it most likely be Nitrous Oxide?
Dr Ug

Post by Dr Ug »

FlowerChild wrote:
echo off wrote:hehe, my dentist calls it happy gas, but it's really just pure oxygen i think :)
Wouldn't it most likely be Nitrous Oxide?
Yep. Although, some dentists also use penthrane

Post by 001010 »

Maybe the new feature is a block which must be pushed by a piston. It would explain why it didn't make sense to make it a tile-entity.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Well I'm going skiing tomorrow for a week so I hope your project goes smoothly while I'm gone.
Try not to miss me too much!
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

001010 wrote:Maybe the new feature is a block which must be pushed by a piston. It would explain why it didn't make sense to make it a tile-entity.
That or if it is used often it will negatively affect performance. Usually the reason to avoid tile entities.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

001010 wrote:Maybe the new feature is a block which must be pushed by a piston. It would explain why it didn't make sense to make it a tile-entity.
Now that sounds fun and useful; I always loved working with pistons.

I'm sure there's more things such a block could do, but I'm imagining redstone->mechanical. Could be fun if made in a way which'd make it challenging to use(as opposed to simply making it costly), how the mechanical system itself works is a good example. Timing could be of import for example? Or better yet, several pistons + a crankshaft? (=TIMING)

Before anyone chimes in with "FC's no replacing systems with upgraded versions rule"
a) windmills-waterwheels
b) fun
c) smaller mechanical systems
d) faster mechanical systems which could react better to redstone
e) fancy

Anyway, it might be fun to toss this idea back and forth to see if it could be made suggestions worthy. Not here though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...it appears my Tile Entity statement was a bit of a clue.

Allow me to give another:

-The new feature doesn't use Tile Entities but it can't be pushed by pistons.