Much Ado About A BTW Adventure Map

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

Re: Much Ado About A BTW Adventure Map

Post by jorgebonafe »

This Map idea kinda reminds me of Channelwood, from Myst. Only difference is they use water as power, but some puzzles like this would be definitely possible to do with BTW...

Lol, there is even a windmill in there...

An interesting possibility would be using the new feature of rotating axles/gear boxes with turntables, and maybe using that in combination with pistons to create machines with multiple input/outputs, that the player has to understand and activate in the correct order to progress....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

jorgebonafe wrote:An interesting possibility would be using the new feature of rotating axles/gear boxes with turntables, and maybe using that in combination with pistons to create machines with multiple input/outputs, that the player has to understand and activate in the correct order to progress....
Whoah, that's deep man. I'm writing that down. Thanks for the awesome tip!

*Procedes to watch video*

[Edit]
After having watched the video... Yes. YES. Prolific Agreement!
I'm definitely going to have to work something like this into the map, I feel that it is required.
If not for any other reason than to pay my respects to an incredible game I've never sat down to play...
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

This talk about Myst inspired me a bit. I made a small "proof of concept" kinda map, a simple puzzle.

I tried as much as I could to make it follow the "Myst" puzzle style. In other words the player has to experiment with the buttons and machines to understand how they work, so he can then progress. There are no hints, only a few signs with button labels, like "ON/Off valve" and so on...

This is a really easy puzzle I believe, I didn't try to make it too complicated or too pretty, I just tried to make something that would work, and fun to play (I hope), just to test some things that could be helpful for your adventure map.

If anyone plays it, let me know what you think. I'm putting the save file here. I had a bunch of mods when I made this, but I only added BTW blocks, so I think it should work with just BTW (last release). Unfortunatelly, I made this in creative, and I don't know if its possible to convert it to survival, so be careful with the mouse button. Only use the right click. There is hidden redstone literally "everywhere", so breaking blocks by mistake could be dangerous :P

Rules:
- Don't break or place any blocks, ever. All you need to do is to interact with buttons/levers.
- You *cannot* manually rotate (rotate with right click) any BTW blocks.
- Don't leave the fenced delimited area.
- If you can't jump easily on a block, you probably shouldn't. There is no need for acrobatics on this map.

That's all. Hope its useful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7930336/Puzzle.zip

Humm.. let me know if there are bugs/exploits, I think I tested everything throughly, but you never know...
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

That was really amazing jorge it took me a good 10-15 minutes.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Cool, glad you liked it :)
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

I am kinda disappointed it was that small, it would be cool if you brought those elements into the big puzzle map.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

whynocheese wrote:I am kinda disappointed it was that small, it would be cool if you brought those elements into the big puzzle map.
Yeah, it wasn't suposed to be a real map, just a little fun thing to pass the time and test a couple of things.. :P By the way, did you see that beach, behind the montain? That looked awesome, never saw such a cool beach in minecraft. It was the first seed I used too, turned out perfect
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

I did and yes it was shear awesomeness that makes me wanna cry about it. I mean it has a bay of sorts and a huge beach that isn't to flat, it is epic.
johnt

Post by johnt »

jorgebonafe wrote:
whynocheese wrote:I am kinda disappointed it was that small, it would be cool if you brought those elements into the big puzzle map.
Yeah, it wasn't suposed to be a real map, just a little fun thing to pass the time and test a couple of things.. :P By the way, did you see that beach, behind the montain? That looked awesome, never saw such a cool beach in minecraft. It was the first seed I used too, turned out perfect
You should help us out with our map... :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

johnt wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote: Yeah, it wasn't suposed to be a real map, just a little fun thing to pass the time and test a couple of things.. :P By the way, did you see that beach, behind the montain? That looked awesome, never saw such a cool beach in minecraft. It was the first seed I used too, turned out perfect
You should help us out with our map... :)
Agreed. ^.^
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

That was a really good little map! Short and sweet. =D
Thanks for taking the time to make it and then even post it for us.

And yay for Toomanyitems one-button creative/survival switch.

I think I may have to poke around a little, I must learn its secrets.

Oh, and like John and BinoAl suggested, you're always welcome to help out if you ever feel like it. You definitely know your stuff when it comes to this type of project. But Spoilers... Meh.

Anywho, Imma go tinker. =D
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Hey, hobo, should we post any teasers? You know, nothing to ruin the plot or even specifics on puzzles, but some screenies of the really badass stuff? ^.^
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Thanks, I'm glad you guys liked it.
I made that just to test some general ideas that could be used, but if you need help to do real puzzles for the map... well, maybe I can help, but I'm not sure if I'll have time...
I spent the whole afternoon on that, and it turned out to be a 15 minute puzzle... it was fun, but it drained me a lot :P

Well, just let me know how you're gonna organize this, and what can I do to help, if I can I'll sure lend a hand.
johnt

Post by johnt »

PM me and I'll add you to the design document we're putting together on Google docs... I've got a google group going, too, but no one is using it yet..

Btw, I just added a first draft of the story... I think it works with what we've got so far and is pretty good :) maybe a bit ambitious though....
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

[apologies, me am talk funny rite now]
jorgebonafe wrote:Thanks, I'm glad you guys liked it.
I made that just to test some general ideas that could be used, but if you need help to do real puzzles for the map... well, maybe I can help, but I'm not sure if I'll have time...
I spent the whole afternoon on that, and it turned out to be a 15 minute puzzle... it was fun, but it drained me a lot :P

Well, just let me know how you're gonna organize this, and what can I do to help, if I can I'll sure lend a hand.
You used quite a few things I really hadn't thought about before, and great things take time to craft. =D

Like JohnT said, we have a Google Doc going at the moment documenting our collective brainstorm, and what little progress I've made on what I'm calling the Map atm. It's pretty jumbled atm too, but we haven't really had time to do any proper formatting. Pretty much just going with the flow. Fun as hell though I gotta say. I need to learn how to use Google groups, no idea.

You wouldn't really have to do anything unless you really wanted to, just take a look, leave a comment, or maybe even an article.

I also wouldn't want to pressure you into anything... Just sayin'. You're awesome either way.
BinoAl wrote:Hey, hobo, should we post any teasers? You know, nothing to ruin the plot or even specifics on puzzles, but some screenies of the really badass stuff? ^.^
Have anything in particular in mind?
echo off

Post by echo off »

rofl, i've been thinking about adventure maps for BTW myself recently. but i've been more caught up in the map building side, and less the adventure side :S i really want to half bury a statue made from clay blocks, with only the hand sticking up through a beach... so i can walk up to it in game and scream "you maniacs!! you blew it up! goddamn you... goddamn you all to hell."
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

jorgebonafe, the greatest part of your map is the trickery you used to make it all look like clockwork. The only flaw there was how visible the pistons were, especially the one at the top. That was very much in the spirit of Myst, and very convincingly done.

My complaints with the map are that 1.) you didn't take the time to switch the game mode over to survival with any of the many available tools for such, and 2.) when you say no acrobatics are needed, that shouldn't mean don't make a series of one block jumps that lead up a hill and over a fence. Put a little more effort into blocking off areas that allow getting outside of the map or skipping progression. You could at least make all the non-essential jumps two blocks high.
DaWhiskers

Post by DaWhiskers »

SilvasRuin wrote:My complaints with the map are that 1.) you didn't take the time to switch the game mode over to survival with any of the many available tools for such, and 2.) when you say no acrobatics are needed, that shouldn't mean don't make a series of one block jumps that lead up a hill and over a fence. Put a little more effort into blocking off areas that allow getting outside of the map or skipping progression. You could at least make all the non-essential jumps two blocks high.
if you re-read the initial post containing the map, you will see it was a test rather than a 'polished/finished map'
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Okay, got some screenies I'm happy with. If you don't like spoilers, never fear.

I'm fairly certain nothing should be given away.
Spoiler
Show

[Edit]
Do keep in mind, that there is the possibility none of this will make it into the map.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

That's all looking great. :) If you ever need a hand with something, as others, I'd love to help out. :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

SilvasRuin wrote:Snip.
Thanks, if you thought I caught the feeling of Myst, that was my goal, and I'm happy to know that. ^^

About the complaints, like I said on my post, this is more of a concept test then a real map, so I didn't bother too much about looks. I just got the first map I found in creative and worked with it. Also, I didn't know any tools to make that creative/survival switch. I did looked a little bit on google, and I did found a couple of tools, but since I'm using Better Then Wolves and they didn't mention if it worked with mods, I didn't want to risk maybe corrupting the map, though I did back it up...

Can you point me to such a tool? I'd like to take this out of creative at least, even if it is just a test map.

Edit. Nevermind. I just found out TMI does that. Didn't catch that from the post above somehow :P
TheHoboHunted wrote:Okay, got some screenies I'm happy with. If you don't like spoilers, never fear.

I'm fairly certain nothing should be given away.
Spoiler
Show

[Edit]
Do keep in mind, that there is the possibility none of this will make it into the map.
Wow! I really love how this is turning out. Man, I wish I could build cool looking stuff like that.... I gotta take a course in MC architecture design....
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaWhiskers

Post by DaWhiskers »

jorgebonafe wrote:Can you point me to such a tool? I'd like to take this out of creative at least, even if it is just a test map.
Try Too Many Items (TMI), and install it after BTW... works a treat
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

jorgebonafe wrote:
SilvasRuin wrote:Snip.
Thanks, if you thought I caught the feeling of Myst, that was my goal, and I'm happy to know that. ^^

About the complaints, like I said on my post, this is more of a concept test then a real map, so I didn't bother too much about looks. I just got the first map I found in creative and worked with it. Also, I didn't know any tools to make that creative/survival switch. I did looked a little bit on google, and I did found a couple of tools, but since I'm using Better Then Wolves and they didn't mention if it worked with mods, I didn't want to risk maybe corrupting the map, though I did back it up...

Can you point me to such a tool? I'd like to take this out of creative at least, even if it is just a test map.
NBTEdit can do that, and also this:

Yes, he also uses SPC there (which if you install after BTW the only thing that's broken is the animation for the composite bow), but that's worth having anyway if you're making a map.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

Those screenshots are looking great. Very atmospheric. I'm surprised you were able to capture a universal gloomy look in the lighting throughout the scenes.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

SilvasRuin wrote:Those screenshots are looking great. Very atmospheric. I'm surprised you were able to capture a universal gloomy look in the lighting throughout the scenes.

It helps to have nigh omnipotent control of your relative time and space. ;D
jorgebonafe wrote: Wow! I really love how this is turning out. Man, I wish I could build cool looking stuff like that.... I gotta take a course in MC architecture design....
Thankies! The Architecture and Atmosphere got a lot easier to envision with the story-line JohnT wrote out (Most awesome). That would be one hell of a course, btw.
FaceFoiled wrote:That's all looking great. :) If you ever need a hand with something, as others, I'd love to help out. :)
Thankey! If ya still feel like it, send your email to me or JohnT and we'll drop an invite to the Google Group and Document your way. =D